More carbs...sleeping too much...

Options
I am on a high protein/low carb diet. For the last week, I have been exhausted. Has anybody had experiences of being very low energy while on this type of diet? Yesterday, I slept 16 hours straight :yawn: I also have sleep apnea, but that has been under control and nothing has changed in that area. Or I might be coming down sick? It's so hard to tell what is going on! Anybody have similar circumstances? Thanks

Replies

• laurie49120
    laurie49120 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am on a high protein/low carb diet. For the last week, I have been exhausted. Has anybody had experiences of being very low energy while on this type of diet? Yesterday, I slept 16 hours straight :yawn: I also have sleep apnea, but that has been under control and nothing has changed in that area. Or I might be coming down sick? It's so hard to tell what is going on! Anybody have similar circumstances? Thanks
  • liltwynkl1
    liltwynkl1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i've never done any type of diet like that but i do know that carbs are an essential part of a person's diet because they fuel energize your body. so that could definately be a part of why you're so exhausted....maybe you're going to low on carbs...?
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use to think the low carb diet was the answer. I wasn't doing as well last month (my fault) so I tried low carbs for 2 days and felt awful :frown: So I went back to counting calories with fruits, vegetables etc. and I'm more focused and feel much better and I'm losing again :smile: If you choose to try the calories only be sure and log BEFORE you eat, it helps make better choices :tongue: Also weigh and/or measure everything my eye was much larger than actual amounts :noway:

Wishing you much success :drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Keeping your carbs in check is important, but having an inordinately low amount of carbs isn't my idea of a good diet. Carbs are what give you energy, they are your primary fuel source. Forcing your body to use fat and protein to give you energy is going to take a while and it's going to alter your body chemistry. I can see very plainly how this would make you tired. Also remember, unless you plan to do this for the rest of your life, at some point you're going to go back to normal carbs, and when that happens your body's going to go through a similar change, and when that happens you'll probably gain some weight back. It's just my humble opinion, but it's based on lots of research and many expert analysis done by universities and medical groups.
    Just wanted to make sure you knew the facts. Is there a particular reason you chose a low carb diet?
  • laurie49120
    laurie49120 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. I am on a very low carb diet that the bariatric surgeon put me on (I am having lap-band in a few weeks), just waiting for Medicaid approval. I think the best idea for me is to call the nutritionist at the bariatric surgeon's and do a food diary/use the tools here, and then get advice whether to up the carbs. Thanks again, Laurie
  • Nana27
    Nana27 Posts: 77
    Options
    Good luck Laurie! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Linda