starches

Luna001
Luna001 Posts: 9
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I was told that all starches, even some vegetable starches such as carrots,lentils,etc. should try to be avoided when dieting? I don't want to believe this but I'd like to hear ppls opinions/ What is your intake on this?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    You don't need to completely avoid them. There are health benefits that these foods provide. You should avoid them at dinner and for after dinner snacks if you eat them because they make the body release insulin which stops the body's fat burning processes. But they're just fine earlier in the day if you don't eat too much.
  • Myssrenee
    Myssrenee Posts: 24
    I don’t do too many starches now that I watch what I eat, I do eat carrots and brown rice...I guess it depends on the person and what they like. You hear different things all the time, one person may say don’t eat those items where as another may say u should eat these items. I know my Dr. told me to be sure to eat protein and fresh veggies. And for me I don’t say that I’m dieting I just say I’m modifying what I eat. for example if I want something sweet I eat a sweet piece of fruit instead of a Debbie cake or something like that...or if I’m going to have a piece of cake then I eat a small piece instead of a big piece...everyone is different and I think it just depends on what you feel you need or want to eat. But I wouldn’t say that eating those items will hinder your diet in anyway. =)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    They are good for you... and part of a necessary diet. But an easy answer for pretty much anything is "everything in moderation"

If you don't plan on giving them up for Forever, then don't give them completely up now. It just sets you up for failure.
This discussion has been closed.