Meal Replacement Shake

Options
Has anyone taken the shakes for a week or two to lose weight? I wonder if these work nutritional wise and keeping you full. Thank you for any advice.

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If youre going to do it, use a protein shake. SPecial K is better then slimfast but really its empty calories and youll regain quicker
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    The days that I work, I use them a lot because I don't really have time to take an actual food break. I use EAS AdvantEdge shakes, and they've always seemed to work for me. They have 17 grams of protein, 110 calories, 2 net carbs.
  • shaynesmom26
    shaynesmom26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a strawberry smoothie with jillian michael vanilla protein powder and some benefiber in it.
  • val2576
    val2576 Posts: 7
    Options
    I used the GNC 7 day fast weight loss program where you replace two meals a day with two shakes. The salesperson said people on average lost 7-10 lbs within the week but since I was already in the middle of my weight loss, I only lost 3 lbs which I was thrilled over!! Along with their shakes, there were also a packet of pills to take (Burn 60 which raises your metabolism, green tea pill and 2 water pills). GNC normally has their Total Lean products buy 1 get 1 50% off. I really like the chocolate and the vanilla not so much. The shakes have a lot of protein and fiber to keep you full.
  • nalont1
    nalont1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been replacing my lunch with Shakeology since the start of January...helped me drop the last few pounds and is full of superfoods that the body needs so I plan to use it long term. Not to mention it tastes better than going to Dairy Queen! :-)
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think meal replacement shakes are the best strategy for weightloss, I think you are better off with increased activity and filling your stomach ( getting that full feeling) with lots of raw veggies and healthy proteins, carbs and fats. I thinks shakes work for two things - first, to give you quality protein, and second, convenience. If it's a question of a lean cuisine pasta meal or a mrs, drink the shake, but if you drink a shake and you're still hungry, that can be a problem.

I drink a shake daily after workouts and often a half shake just before bed, and eat at least four other meals that fill me up. Works for me.
  • MrsSouthernButterfly
    Options
    Thanks for the tip
  • MrsSouthernButterfly
    Options
    thanks for the tip
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you can make your own ahead of time and stick it in the fridge, that might be more nutritious and cheaper. I just made a protein smoothie that seemed pretty nutritionally well-rounded (banana, whey, flaxseed, FF greek yogurt, and FF milk).
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Shakes aren't for losing weight. They're for convenience and supplementing your nutrition. Losing weight is done by consuming less calories than you burn. You can do this with or without shakes.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't think meal replacement shakes are the best strategy for weightloss, I think you are better off with increased activity and filling your stomach ( getting that full feeling) with lots of raw veggies and healthy proteins, carbs and fats. I thinks shakes work for two things - first, to give you quality protein, and second, convenience. If it's a question of a lean cuisine pasta meal or a mrs, drink the shake, but if you drink a shake and you're still hungry, that can be a problem.

I drink a shake daily after workouts and often a half shake just before bed, and eat at least four other meals that fill me up. Works for me.

I agree with this- but whatever works best for you as an individual.
    I drink high protein shakes after really intense work outs, to rebuild muscle, and have noticed a change in my definition, but usually I keep it to no more than one/day and I don't use it necessarily as a meal replacement. I personally think that natural foods are the best in almost any circumstance =) I don't think trying it will hurt you so long as you are still getting adequate protein, calories, and vitamins. Good Luck!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    If you can make your own ahead of time and stick it in the fridge, that might be more nutritious and cheaper. I just made a protein smoothie that seemed pretty nutritionally well-rounded (banana, whey, flaxseed, FF greek yogurt, and FF milk).

Yummy I do this too =) Except with almond milk and veggie derived protein instead! Delicious =)