Workout schedule and stationary bike technique question

Options
Hi all,

I've just joined a couple of days ago, and was wondering whether anyone had any advice for my exercise regime.

I'm looking to do strength training on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, alternating between two different workouts to try and work different muscle groups, and then work on the stationary bike on the other 4 days.

First of all, does this sound like a good idea, or should I incorporate rest days?

Secondly, what is the best technique for working on the stationary bike? I've got it set to 6/8 resistance, and start off at a low to moderate pace (about 55% of MHR). Every two minutes I switch to high intensity pedaling (about 75% of MHR) for 30 seconds, and then drop back to moderate intensity for the next 90 seconds. I'd just like to know if this is a valid technique, or whether shorter / longer periods of intensity would be more efficient.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steven

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out you should have at least one day for rest, but you'll probably want two. And you'd be better off using a treadmill or elliptical if you can. Exercise bikes only work your legs and don't burn as many calories. Full body workouts are much better.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hi Steven,

My workout routine is a lot like yours, but I only do weights twice a week. I also hike/walk in the mountains near my home. I ride a stationary bike 4-5 times a week on an interval course, just like you. It's been really effective for me so far. I don't usually take a regular rest day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out you should have at least one day for rest, but you'll probably want two. And you'd be better off using a treadmill or elliptical if you can. Exercise bikes only work your legs and don't burn as many calories. Full body workouts are much better.

Just out of curiosity... how do ellipticals or treadmills work the upper body? All the machines I've seen of that nature just work the lower body too. Is there some kind of elliptical or treadmill out there that has an upper body component too?
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options

At the moment I'm not part of a gym - just exercising at home right now - so unfortunately not an option. I'm looking to join up once I've lost a bit of weight and started getting to the point where I want to concentrate on specific areas rather than overall weight loss.
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, basically like an interval session on the bike. Look into High intensity Interval Training (Google HIIT and you'll find lots of good tips as far as details and technique). I love spinning classes and you can get spinning videos and do them on your stationary bike at home.

I do a spinning class Tuesdays and Thursdays, I swim Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I do Kettle Bells on Monday after swimming and do upper body weight training on Tuesdays after Spinning. I Run on Wednesdays after swimming and do a whole body strength training workout on Thursdays before spinning. I do the elliptical trainer Fridays after swimming and do a lower body workout on Saturdays, sometimes a cross training cardio class - rest on Sunday.

I watch how I feel each day and take a break or skip some of these elements if I see signs of over training and fatigue, so far so good.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Hi all,

I've just joined a couple of days ago, and was wondering whether anyone had any advice for my exercise regime.

I'm looking to do strength training on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, alternating between two different workouts to try and work different muscle groups, and then work on the stationary bike on the other 4 days.

First of all, does this sound like a good idea, or should I incorporate rest days?

Secondly, what is the best technique for working on the stationary bike? I've got it set to 6/8 resistance, and start off at a low to moderate pace (about 55% of MHR). Every two minutes I switch to high intensity pedaling (about 75% of MHR) for 30 seconds, and then drop back to moderate intensity for the next 90 seconds. I'd just like to know if this is a valid technique, or whether shorter / longer periods of intensity would be more efficient.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steven

Your program sounds great and congratulations on taking the steps towards your better you :smile:
    I think you should continue with it. Once you feel stronger, you can make the duration of your intervals longer and you can go higher on your intensity.
    I would add may be some sort of flexibility workout in there such as yoga/pilates and may be one day for just walking (consider this day as your active recovery day).
    To your health
    Dounia
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks very much for the advice and support everyone :)