READ THIS! Am I Fat? Why Body Fat Percentage Is More Impor

Options

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Puts me at 28.60% body fat, which I like sooo much better than 41%. I'm a big girl, but I work hard.

I want to believe this is accurate, because it makes me feel as if the hard work is paying off. But I think that 41% is staying with me and making me question whether I did the calculations right, measured correctly, etc.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    e8dcaec9.jpg

This pic says it all! Who do you think weighs more? Who do you think is healthier and has a lower percent body fat! It's pretty clear!

Actually, the guy on the left is probably just as low BF as the sprinter on the right. The difference is muscle mass.
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    great article, thanks for sharing!
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    great post!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

In reality, when you are doing "measurements", you are analyzing your body fat for the most part.

Could you be more specific? Are you saying that your measurements only measure fat? Wouldn't your measurements go down if you were burning muscle as well?

I've noticed my measurements going down even though my weight sometimes doesn't. Since I've upped my weight resistance I'm assuming that's why, but I think I'll go for the caliper test. Thanks for the heads up.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I really enjoyed reading it! One question though...I still have fat to lose but have started doing P90X, but I still am not sure about how many calories I should be eating. Do I change it to maintenance and still eat back everything that I burn? I am 5'2" and some days that would be like 2000 calories or more depending on what all I do. Most days I do P90X, walk 2 miles at lunch, and one night a week I have karate. I have the fear of gaining weight if I up my calories, because I do still have some fat to lose. HELP!! :)
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options
    Why do you have a goal weight, then?

Because i know what my healthy weight is for me and my height and i know what weight i feel best at. Also, this thing i posted is something they post at my work on our Intranet about Wellness and I thought it had a lot of great info that I wanted to share.
  • dmisom79
    Options
    Awesome post! I've been working with a trainer to reduce my bodyfat by 11% and I DON'T have a weight loss goal. It's been hard to adjust my mindset to this approach rather then the overly restrictive, have to see movement on the scale mindset! I've been at this for several weeks now and have been eating better (meaning more) and working out regularly and I have managed to drop .5% body fat. It's slow, slow, slow but I know it will all be worth it in the long run. Thanks for posting...it was encouraging to me that I am doing things the right way (this time) on a day when I was feeling a little discouraged!

Yay, i'm so glad this post helped you feel better. :smile:
  • dmisom79
    Options
    Great post!! I really enjoyed reading it! One question though...I still have fat to lose but have started doing P90X, but I still am not sure about how many calories I should be eating. Do I change it to maintenance and still eat back everything that I burn? I am 5'2" and some days that would be like 2000 calories or more depending on what all I do. Most days I do P90X, walk 2 miles at lunch, and one night a week I have karate. I have the fear of gaining weight if I up my calories, because I do still have some fat to lose. HELP!! :)

If anyone else has other suggestions or a different answer out there, please chime in. Just from what I know and have read and know first hand, you need to eat about half of your exercise calories but if you have a LOT to eat back because you burned so much, you don't have to eat them all. Just do what feels comfortable to you but make sure you get all your food groups in and especially the ones that help aide in boosting the metabolism such as grapefruit, green tea, yogurt, almonds, coffee, turkey, apples, spinach, beans, Jalapenos, broccoli, oatmeal, soy milk, curry, and cinnamon (http://ecosalon.com/boost-metabolism/). These are excellent choices to keep your diet in kick-start mode and you will lose that fat in no time. You already sound like you're in great shape from what all you do. Good for you.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I already understood the concept so I didn't read the article but the pictures tell the whole story. THank you for that. Some people are so much more visual than others and seeing those will mean a lot to them. Skinny does not always mean healthy or attractive and Nicole is proof of that in that picture. Than goodness she is getting a much healthier body these days.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    most people on here are so worried about how to get an accurate reading on body fat %. Really that does not seem to be that important. Just work out, and eat healthy. Make sure to do both cardio and weight training to get the best results. As long as your are building your muscle and NOT just loosing weight then you will be getting healthier and healthier every day. Don't stress over the numbers. Health and fitness and consistancy are what is important
  • cakeslovesbaking
    Options
    Thanks, I found this really helpfull... I never knew what weight to aim for....now i know there is no magical weight!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    Wow!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I'm actually doing a 12 week program through a local hospital with my dietician and at tonights meeting, they will do a composition test to see how much of my weight is fat vs muscle....should be an eye opener.
  • dtrm88
    dtrm88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great article!! Thanks for sharing!!

3108166.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I think Kristin Cavallari (from The Hills) is [was] super cute...until she decided to lose 15 pounds...you be the judge, is skinny better?

Kristin-Cavallari-Before-and-After.jpg
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    tagging this awesome post for future reference
  • dmisom79
    Options
    I think Kristin Cavallari (from The Hills) is [was] super cute...until she decided to lose 15 pounds...you be the judge, is skinny better?

Kristin-Cavallari-Before-and-After.jpg

she didn't need to lose anything! why did she do that? but deep down i still think she looks good skinny...that's just the crazy mental case in my brain talking.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    bumping for myself later