Sugar???? so confused!

Options
well i added sugar to my food diary to see how much i intake daily. i am on 1200 calories with 156 carbs. now 23-30 typically are fiber. the sugar section told me i could only have 24 a day. so what makes up the rest of the carbs? i killed my sugar intake with fiber one cereal and activia lite yogurt. crazy! i need this stuff to go number 2, sorry TMI :blushing: but what else can i possibly do? fruit and veggies that i really like are high in sugar as well. i thought this stuff was healthy. i read nutrition labels and none of them say how much sugar intake you should have for daily nutrition percentages....errrr. i take meds for my sugar and i am so confused what to do now? HELP!!!

Replies

• heyjuede
    heyjuede Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    well i added sugar to my food diary to see how much i intake daily. i am on 1200 calories with 156 carbs. now 23-30 typically are fiber. the sugar section told me i could only have 24 a day. so what makes up the rest of the carbs? i killed my sugar intake with fiber one cereal and activia lite yogurt. crazy! i need this stuff to go number 2, sorry TMI :blushing: but what else can i possibly do? fruit and veggies that i really like are high in sugar as well. i thought this stuff was healthy. i read nutrition labels and none of them say how much sugar intake you should have for daily nutrition percentages....errrr. i take meds for my sugar and i am so confused what to do now? HELP!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I really don't know if I can be of much help but in a way I am bumping up your post to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I just hate it when people post and no one responds but tons of people read it. :grumble: :grumble: :laugh:
    You said you are taking meds for your sugar? Did your doctor give you any advice on how much to take and what to watch out for? The other day someone posted about the sugar content in milk and some people responded saying to not worry about the sugar content in healthy foods such as fruits, skim milk, etc. Only worry about added sugar, etc...I would consult with a registered dietician and/or your doctor. You can always change your food settings in MFP. The recommendations here are for people who don't have any health concerns. I hope this helps! Take care!! :flowerforyou:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am - please do), if you stick with fresh produce, you won't really have to worry about the sugars so much. I've spent more time in the fresh produce department over the past month, than I have probably my entire life! No kidding! :happy: I've already logged in what I'll be eating for the day. I'm only supposed to have 24g of sugar too, but according to all that I've logged in today, I've only reached a total of 12!! And the 12 are coming from the crab & shrimp over salad at lunch, a little bit of cream cheese on half a bagel this morning, some ham cubes for aftenoon snack, and some frozen veggie mix for dinner.
  • heyjuede
    Options
    thanks that gives me some food for thought. the dr put me on glucophage (aka metformin). my fasting sugars were 122 and its due to PCOS. its not yet diabetes and with the med and getting healthy i am hoping to get ahead of things and beat this before its too late! they did not tell me how much sugar intake. the medication was primarily for fertility issues, so i think they forgot about the other aspect of it derrrrrr. nice huh. they told me however, to watch what i eat like limit my fruit and things like carrots and corn because they are loaded with sugar. now thats food i love! wouldn't it be better to eat those rather than sit down with a bag of chips ???
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile and pictures and it broke my heart, I am so sorry for your loss. Hang in there and stay positive!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I really don't know much about your condition and what diabetics can and not eat. I would consult reputable sites and a registered dietician. I know there are many diabetics who use this site and can also offer ideas. Yes, it looks like they want you to stay away from foods with a high glycemic index even if they are natural such as fruits and veggies...Take care!! :flowerforyou:
  • heyjuede
    Options
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree that natural sugar in fruit isn't as much of a problem. It's the refined sugars in processed foods that you need to watch. If your sugar is going over from fruit, I wouldn't worry.
  • heyjuede
    Options
    thanks for the replies :happy: my sugar levels are great, not diabetic, but i am definitely getting ahead of the game. i am relieved now to know that there is a difference in kinds of sugars and will definitely pay closer attention. just like when i had to master calories and carbs, this too is a challenge and i will meet it head on!:bigsmile: