Just sharing-cultural shock

Options
In Vietnam, where I'm from originally, it's okay to call people fat, as if it's just a character, like tall or short or brown-hair. Anyway, when I was visiting a few years ago nearly everyone said that I was so fat and dark (oh yeah, being tan is a big no no too!). I wear a size 6 here and couldn't go shopping because I'd have to buy size XXL!

I'm going back there for my cousin's wedding in Nov and would not like to be called fat again lol!

Replies

• ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    OMG,, you were considered fat at a size 6????? Thats crazy! I guess it is just cultural differences but that is crazy!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    WOW! I had no idea it was like that! Talk about a (culture) SHOCK! I guess that can be some good motivation to kick it into high gear! Best of luck! :)
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I wear a 20 here what would I be in vietnam? lol
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You will get there!

My friend has family in Taiwan and he said the same thing. People are quite small there.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    OMG,, you were considered fat at a size 6????? Thats crazy! I guess it is just cultural differences but that is crazy!

Just what i was thinking!! I wish i could fit in a 6 as that is my goal, between a 6 and 8
  • Kurrah
    Kurrah Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree! I wonder what they consider people in the double digits? lol....
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

godzilla.jpg

sorry I had to
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I knew about the being dark thing...but the being called fat thing? WOW. I get it though. My grandmothers family is from Hawaii and they basically speak how they think. If you're fat they say you're fat. It's not meant to be mean just...kind of how kids do it they think and speak with no filter. It's cultural.
  • nldsmiley
    nldsmiley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Very interesting fact!!! Thanks for sharing!! And by the way...I would love to be a size 6. To me, that is perfect!!!
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My husband and I adopted a baby from China last summer and while we were there I wanted to buy an authentic Chinese dress for myself....Orionpk I was like you, I was a size 8/10 but NOTHING came in my size there! How come they eat a ton of white rice over there (we had it served at every meal) and are all so thin? And there are fast food places EVERYWHERE but not many overweight people.....
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

godzilla.jpg

sorry I had to

LMAO
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    It should be that way here too. lollll we enable people and worry too much about feelings rather than tell the truth.

Vietnam is a beautiful country!! I'm jealous you are going...I've always wanted to go. HAHA I can be the fat American. NOOO!!! :laugh:
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I wanna be "FAT"!!! ...... Oh let me be that kind of fat.....PLEASE!!!! I would love to be in a six:)) That would be me shredding a whole person:))

Good luck on your journey....you'll get there:)) Just look forward to your cousin's wedding and do what you can to get in the best shape as possible (if you're not already).
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My husband and I adopted a baby from China last summer and while we were there I wanted to buy an authentic Chinese dress for myself....Orionpk I was like you, I was a size 8/10 but NOTHING came in my size there! How come they eat a ton of white rice over there (we had it served at every meal) and are all so thin? And there are fast food places EVERYWHERE but not many overweight people.....

They walk/ride bikes everywhere.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options

godzilla.jpg

sorry I had to

hahaha well that would be me too - I'm in 18-20
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options

godzilla.jpg

sorry I had to

LMAO

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's actually very similar in India too. Most people in Asia are way smaller than people here. I weight 138lbs and wear a size 6. I am taller than the average Indian man and I just dislike going back because I am called fat and big. There was a point when I ended up shopping in the men's section at one time.

And yes, they say I am dark too. But who cares. I know I am healthy and you might be too! :)
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options

They walk/ride bikes everywhere.

It's not just walking or bike riding. The weather there is a lot more humid than it is in the US and you automatically end up burning calories faster due to higher metabolism rates. Personal experience. I'd eat rice day in and day out in India and not feel bloated at all. If I were to do that here, I'd probably gain 10 pounds in a week.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Wow! I thought it might be like that in Asian culture in Asia but I didn't know it was that extreme!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Oh man, the same thing happened to me when I went to the Philippines. Not only was I the chubbiest person around, but also the tallest, which was super odd to me. It felt sooo out of place. Even better, I wasn't taught tagalog, so I couldn't know if they were talking about me, which made it even MORE fun. -___-