Nausea

Options
Does any one else get nauseous while working out? For the last two days, I've just about wanted to hurl, while I was doing cardio. I've been pushing myself hard, going to the gym six days a week. Just got back into working out, six weeks ago, but it's just been these last two days, where this has happened. Yesterday, it was bad. Today, I cut my workout short, it was so bad. Can any trainers out there advise me as to what is going on?

Replies

• ayealyssagrl
    Options
    make sure you eat a good breakfast. Nothing heavy but at least something and be sure to drink enough water. You could have just been dehydrated. Don't push yourself too hard, its good you stopped when you did. Good luck. <3
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I actually get really nauseas when I run! try not to eat anything for 3 hours before your workout!
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    The nausea may be because your are dehydrated if you are feeling this way your body may be trying to tell you it needs something, like a one minute break or water.
  • rabidcow
    rabidcow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts for you.
    1. Are you eating enough to ensure your body has the fuel to continue a 6 day a week schedule? With that kind of workout, you can not run a bare bones diet. Your body needs energy (carbs) and building blocks (nutrients and protein) to ensure it can not only work at the level you are pushing it to, but also allow it to get stronger as you continue to train.

2. Have you increased the intensity of your workout over the last week? I find that if i ramp up my PT too much too fast, I can get sick to my stomach and need to cut things short. Try setting a weekly goal on your cardio, this week I will cycle for 45 minutes at a 15MPH speed, next week I will try it for 50 minutes, or at 16MPH. I woudl try dialing your cardio back a little to find your comfort limit, and then take it up a little from there.

3. If I am running a low level viral infection, like a runny nose, I find it kicks my cardio to the curb. Is it possible you have a cold?

Hope this helps.
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is not unusual for me to get sick, if I push myself beyond what my body thinks it can do. I always joke that if I don't get sick at the end of a run--then I could have done it faster! ;-) I've never let it bother me.

Just make sure you are eating well and drinking enough water--especially if you are excersicing outside (it's getting warm in my neck of the woods).
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    A few thoughts for you.
    1. Are you eating enough to ensure your body has the fuel to continue a 6 day a week schedule? With that kind of workout, you can not run a bare bones diet. Your body needs energy (carbs) and building blocks (nutrients and protein) to ensure it can not only work at the level you are pushing it to, but also allow it to get stronger as you continue to train.

2. Have you increased the intensity of your workout over the last week? I find that if i ramp up my PT too much too fast, I can get sick to my stomach and need to cut things short. Try setting a weekly goal on your cardio, this week I will cycle for 45 minutes at a 15MPH speed, next week I will try it for 50 minutes, or at 16MPH. I woudl try dialing your cardio back a little to find your comfort limit, and then take it up a little from there.

3. If I am running a low level viral infection, like a runny nose, I find it kicks my cardio to the curb. Is it possible you have a cold?

Hope this helps.
    Thank you! Yes, I just increased my cardio by 5 minutes. Maybe I should cut it back down a bit. As for the food thing, I'm a gastric bypass patient and I have trouble getting a lot of food down on somedays. It varies from day to day....Thanks for the help guys!! I think I'll pick up some protein at Wal Mart in a bit. Sounds like my body needs some extra protein with me working out 6 days a week. All your help is appreciated!! Thanks!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Marci, hmmmm, maybe it's the wine...LOL
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't know the technical answer to this question, but for me, I get sick when my level of fitness is not up to the level of fitness I'm trying to perform. AKA I'm pushing my body too hard. It's not good to vomit regularly. It stops your heart. Creates acid in the stomach and in the mouth that errodes stomach lining and esophigus tissue along with enamel on the teeth. I have become sick when performing a stress/treadmill test for my doctor (Trying to push myself further than I should have) or when I just started my exercise program again in January, 2011 after a too long haitus.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Could also be a blood sugar drop.

I know if I eat too much it makes me feel crappy but on the other hand if I have not eaten properly (every few hours) the crash hits me and I get shakey and neasaus. When I have tested my blood sugars...anything below 70 makes me feel BAD.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    when watching the big marathons on TV you always see runners vomit ( as well as other ughhh nasty things) ....I thought that meant something like you have pushed past the point of pain....Ive even seen a person or 2 throw up on the weight-loss reality shows when working out
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I notice I get nauseas if I do too hard of cardio with not enough water or carbs. Lack of protein pre-workout has never been a problem for me but I generally get over 100 grams a day. I try not to do too much carbs but I need them for a decent cardio workout.

Good luck. Try changing your eating and drinking around a bit before backing off the workout. It might just be a manner of a different snack :o)

smiles
    Ang
  • marci355
    Options
    Ya think? LMAO!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Ya think? LMAO!!

Yes, you must give it up completely and all your symptoms will go away...
  • marci355
    Options
    Ya think? LMAO!!

Yes, you must give it up completely and all your symptoms will go away...
    NO, NO, NO!! (insert stomping of her princess foot here..)LOL.. Seriously tho, i'll cut down and see if that helps. And if that doesn't work, I may have to quit for awhile....huge sigh......
  • marci355
    Options
    Could also be a blood sugar drop.

I know if I eat too much it makes me feel crappy but on the other hand if I have not eaten properly (every few hours) the crash hits me and I get shakey and neasaus. When I have tested my blood sugars...anything below 70 makes me feel BAD.
    You might have a good point there. I went from being pre-diabetic to hypoglycemic after my surgery. Haven't had that in awhile...but boy when I start dropping, I drop fast and have passed out even. Good thing I was selt-belted into a car when it happened! Hmmm...time to get out the blood testing stuff and take a look. Thanks for the reminder!