Barley Recipes Needed

Options
So I have a big box of barley on the shelf that I bought to make Beef and Barley soup. I only needed a little for the soup so now I am looking for some recipes or ideas. How do you use Barley(other then in soup)? Thanks!

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I use it as a side dish sometimes instead of brown rice or quinoa. I just cook some up in vegetable broth to give it more flavor than just cooking it in water. Throw in some steamed veggies and you have a simple but filling meal!
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use it as a substitute for Risotto rice. Its not as creamy but will do the same job.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Homemade "Fried Rice":

-Make four servings ahead of time, put into small Tupperware containers and heat up for lunch. Pair with an apple or some almonds.

Ingredients:
    - 3/4 pound chicken tenderloins
    - 1 cup dry barley or brown rice
    - 1/2 cup egg beaters
    - 1 cup sweet onion, diced
    - 1 cup portabella mushrooms, diced

Directions:
    1. Cook 1 cup dry quick barley (or brown rice) on the stove by the instructions on the box.
    2. Heat a pan on the stove (medium) and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
    3. Chop up 1 cup of sweet onions and 1 cup of baby portabella mushrooms.
    4. Add the veggies to the pan and let set and cook.
    5. Meanwhile cook 3/4 lb of chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts. (I cook mine in the microwave, but you can also grill them or buy precooked ones).
    6. Dice up the chicken.
    7. Push the veggies to the side of the pan and on the other side add 1/2 cup egg beaters.
    8. Cook and dice the egg beaters until done.
    9. Then add the diced chicken and barley/rice (which should be done by now).
    10. Combine and let simmer for a few minutes.
    11. Take off the stove and let cool. Measure out into four separate containers, cover and refrigerate.

Servings: 4 (approximately 2 cups each)
    - Around 250 calories per serving.
    - Tons of fiber from the veggies and barley/rice.
    - High in protein from egg beaters and chicken.
    - Low in sodium (though you may want to top with some salt, soy sauce or garlic powder, I prefer mine plain).
    - Low in fat ( Pair with a 100 calorie pack of almonds for a 350 calorie, balanced meal).

Enjoy!