Starting a small business

Options
cbratthauer
cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
So I absolutely love baking and have been told time and time again by friends and family that I should sell the things I bake. I always just shrugged it off, I mean they're my friends and family right? However, now that I'm almost graduated it's time to start deciding what I really want to do. What do I really want to do? I really want to be a stay at home mom who still brings in an income. How can I do this? Baking and selling from the home! I already have an order for my Chocolate Marble Banana bread and I haven't even actually started my business. Here is what I am planning to do. I want to start by making a Facebook page, inviting my friends and having them invite their friends. Post pictures of things I've already made and have a list of prices. This summer is a very busy summer for me because I am graduating, my fiance is graduating, and we are getting married. However, next spring/summer/fall I want to rent a space at the local Farmer's Market and sell there. I'll hand out business cards and see where it goes. If I am able to start getting enough orders in I will quit my full-time job and begin doing this full-time instead! I guess what I am asking is, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions that can help me to get started? I want to start small, I don't want to put a lot of money into things if it isn't going to work. But with the tools I already have I am able to start small, so if you have any great ideas I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of the farmer's market. Make sure to contact the farmer's market organizers and see if you can get in their newsletter and be featured on the website if you have one. You can also share a recipe if they need 'content' to promote you for free! :)

Good luck! Also, check out the stories at Vermont Brownie Company and other businesses that started small and started in the home... :)
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! You definately need to get your name out there. Facebook is a great start, but take it one step father and join Twitter also. Another option would be buying ad space at your local baseball park, since its that season there will be a good flow of people in there. It costs money to get the space, but it really could be worth it.
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    Love the idea of the farmer's market. Make sure to contact the farmer's market organizers and see if you can get in their newsletter and be featured on the website if you have one. You can also share a recipe if they need 'content' to promote you for free! :)

Good luck! Also, check out the stories at Vermont Brownie Company and other businesses that started small and started in the home... :)

Thank you for the great ideas! I am hoping to stay small, I don't want to go big time or anything because my main focus will be being a mom but the Farmers Market ideas are GREAT thanks so much!!!
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I wish I could sell the stuff I bake...everyone always asks me to bake for them...and when I do tell me nursing is the wrong career choice.

good luck with your new career!
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Or you could go to flee markets or fairs to set up a table
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You're most welcome!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    oh and buy baking supplies at Trader Joe's if you can. That way it's less $ and you can still do organic or vegan if you want to have some products that will be attractive to the market customers (just have 1-2 products that are organic or vegan to keep your costs down).
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    oh and buy baking supplies at Trader Joe's if you can. That way it's less $ and you can still do organic or vegan if you want to have some products that will be attractive to the market customers (just have 1-2 products that are organic or vegan to keep your costs down).

I've never heard of Trader Joe's. But we have a place up here called Martin Brothers that supplies things to the schools and restaurants. It's cheap and you can buy in bulk. We also have some organic stores as well. Thanks for the tip on the organic I hadn't even thought of that!