Quick question re: baking/broiling

Options
cng1117
cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
If a recipe says to broil a fish but you don't have a broiler can you bake the fish instead and still get edible results?

Replies

• Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Sure, but broiling allows the oil to roll away while baking has the flesh just basting in it
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ah, gotcha! Thank you!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a broiler do you have a cooling rack? You could put that inside a cookie sheet or cake pan and accomplish the same thing as with a broiler.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I find that you can bake a fish at 400 degrees for twice as long and still get satisfactory results.

I'm not sure how it would work out with your recipe or type of fish however.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Ok, i'm from the UK and i'm curious....

Broiling is not a term used over here. Is broiling like grilling, heat coming from above? or is it more like barbecuing with the heat coming from below?
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Broiling is not a term used over here. Is broiling like grilling, heat coming from above? or is it more like barbecuing with the heat coming from below?

Heat comes from above.
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    Most ovens have a broiler or a setting you can set to broil (typically just past the highest heat setting possible), are you sure yours doesnt have it?

The difference really is just the broiler only cooks the top VERY strongly (like a toaster) and makes it crunchy usually, although you have to watch it like a hawk to make sure it doesn't burn.
  • catcrazy
    Options

Heat comes from above.

Thanks, often wondered...basically what we call grilling then. But I have a feeling you may think of grilling differently. Grilling - food placed on rack so fats drain away and its heated from above.
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Heat comes from above.

Thanks, often wondered...basically what we call grilling then. But I have a feeling you may think of grilling differently. Grilling - food placed on rack so fats drain away and its heated from above.

Sounds like your grilling = our broiling
    To me, grilling is cooking your food on an outdoor grill, sometimes known as a barbecue, usually the heat comes from below, either from gas or coals. It's so interesting to see the little language differences we have, isn't it?
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    baking is just as good as broiling (grilling!)
    quite a good way of baking is to place the fish in aluminium/tin foil -fold the foil at the top so there is at least 1 inch between the fish and the top of the fish. This will kind of steam the fish.
    One of my prefered ways of cooking fish (though possibly controverisal) is to microwave it! it's very quick, though i tend to do it 1 minute at a time until it's cooked.
  • catcrazy
    Options

Sounds like your grilling = our broiling
    To me, grilling is cooking your food on an outdoor grill, sometimes known as a barbecue, usually the heat comes from below, either from gas or coals. It's so interesting to see the little language differences we have, isn't it?

Yes, I had an inkling that your grilling would be what we call barbecuing . I love the little differences, your cookies = our biscuits, baked beans on toast (a big fave over here) causes a big stir when mentioned to someone over there. Had a HUGE facebook conversation on the differences once and all because I mentioned I'd had a cucumber sandwich! A few of my US pals thought it really strange that it ONLY had cucumber on it