Chocolate milk as recovery drink?

Options
I've read a few posts here and there about using chocolate milk as a post-workout recovery drink. Would you still get the same post-workout benefits from soy or almond milk?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    yes, in the protein-carb ratio. I mix L-Glutamine in unsweetened apple juice for a recovery drink.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Actually, anything high in protein is great for workout recovery. Protein shakes/bars/water
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I used Chocolate Milk but I also just started using a Chocolate Soy Milk....just as I good I feel but less calories!!!! But anything with protein...
  • Tyscheff
    Tyscheff Posts: 21
    Options
    Chocolate Milk is the BEST thing for you after a workout! It has a great source of protein and replenishes your sugar levels to a healthy level!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Actually, anything high in protein is great for workout recovery. Protein shakes/bars/water

True, but it's suggested because it's close to the 4:1 ratio. (Carbs:Protein)

The 4:1 is the current accepted ratio for recovery.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I like a Chocolate milk milkshake made with a banana and an egg as a recovery beverage.

Cheap to make, good protein and good carbs.

And it's chocolate!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it. My stomach just can't handle cow's milk. :frown: Plus, the soy/almond milk is lower in calories than regular chocolate milk. :smile:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it. My stomach just can't handle cow's milk. :frown: Plus, the soy/almond milk is lower in calories than regular chocolate milk. :smile:

I do the soy milk because i'm lactose intolerant and that's all they sell in the store near my work. The only concern is that it's a "incomplete" protein. I just take an amino acid supplement to fill the grap.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh, okay. Good to know! I had no idea it was "incomplete". I'm guessing I can get an amino acid supplement at, say, GNC?