New to site....looking to lose about 20 lbs

Options
Hello everyone, new to this site. Since my early teens, I've struggled with my weight. I've never been heavily overweight, but there have been times where I've been bigger than others. I am about 5'8, weigh 155 lbs, and would optimally like to lose 15-20. I mostly just drink water right now, and have incorporated green tea into my diet. Lately, I've been trying to eat around 1200 calories. if I get into exercising at least 30 min 5-6x a week, is this a good amount of calories? I've heard that not having enough calories actually hinders your weight loss, which completely makes sense, as your body goes into starvation mode. Also, I really want to tone up my arms and legs, besides running, is rowing going to do this for me? (Using a rowing machine.) Also, could anyone give me tips on work outs that tone my arms and legs that I could do 5x a week.
Thanks for your help.
Feel free to add me as a friend. :) Always looking for tips.

Replies

• derekwstein
    Options
    I actually attribute the row machine for a lot of my weight loss. It's a great cardiovascular and strength gaining machine, especially if you're like me and looking to tighten up your core. I noticed small strength gains, but attribute most of the noticeable toning to lifting free weights at a light weight for more reps. I'm about 6'2 and weighed 240. I'm now down to 193, and it's starting to get tough, but I'm determined. I have a Florida vacation planned for the middle of May and I know it'll be the first beach vacation I'll be comfortable enough with myself to have pictures taken of me with my shirt of.

As far as your caloric intake is concerned, 1200 sounds a bit too little for me. But then again, I'm no health expert. I stick with the recommendations this site has provided me with.

I lift weights 3 times p/ week. Days I lift I run 3+ miles. Days I don't lift I'm on the bike machine for about 35 mins maintaining about 115-120 rpm. Abs every day except for Saturday and sometimes Sunday.

Good luck! You can do it!