Is it really that bad?

Options
I quite often find that after my evening meal I havent had the full amount of calories Im supposed to, take today for instance Ive had 250 too few and Im full, I could eat some chocolate but then I could always manage some chocolate but Id rather not resort to that every day, but I really dont fancy much more. I never eat my excercised calories and never have. So basically is it really that bad if every now and again I dont have my full amount of calories? Please dont yell though, Im really new at all this diet stuff and I do want to do it properly:blushing: .

Replies

• dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I don't always end up eating all of mine. I know that it's a bad habit for me to eat 'just because', so if I'm hungry I'll eat them and if not, I tend to go to bed still having some available.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    It's not bad every now and again but if you do it routinely you might sabotage your efforts. Try some calorie/protein packed foods like sunflower seeds, almonds, cheese, greek yogurt, avocado, olive oil etc. It doesn't take much to bump up your calories so they won't leave you feeling full and they have protein to help with muscle formation and/or healthy fats to keep your heart in good shape.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ok...for women, the minimum deficit is 1200 cals net/day, men is 1500 cals net/ day.
    All you have to do is make sure your net is a minimum of 1200 cals.
    If you eat 1200 cals, then burn 400, your deficit is at 800 cals, so you would need to eat that 400 to keep it at 1200. It has been proven in numerous studies that your body CAN, but not always go into starvation mode if you do not get your minimum. Some people hit their starvetion mode after others, but it will happen. Not only can this happen, but you are also depleting your body of the nutrients it needs to stay healthy as well as fight off diseases. When your body goes into starvation mode, instead of digesting and dispelling the food you intake, it stores it because it "thinks" it needs it to stay alive. It's like your body is hoarding what it feels it isn't getting enough of.
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a friend about this same problem. Both he and I use MFP and find it hard to eat all the calories expected. I hardly ever eat my exercise calories and I think I only hit or go over my 1210 calorie goal once or twice a week. And that's pushing myself. You have to trust your body and if you aren't hungry you aren't hungry. I don't think people should be judgemental at all, everyone is different. I know it's healthier to eat all the calories but I think being under rather than eating junk is the better choice.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that answer depends on a number of things: What your current weight, age, and activity levels are, how many calories you burn exercising, what your daily calorie goal is and how much deficit is already built into it, etc...

For some people, it's fine to have a larger calorie deficit at the end of the day. For others, it could be harmful. If you DO try to fill a deficit - especially at the end of the day, I'd avoid doing it with anything that contains sugar or grains.
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    There are some strong views here about starvation mode and eating all your calories. I think that if you are under 500 or eat about 700 calories a day, that is wrong and you should not do that just because it is not healthy. Plus, I bet those people would be hungry always, cranky, dizzy etc. I have 1200 calories and in the beginning I used to eat all of them but because of portions and my new eating schedule and better ingredients, I am finding that I am no so hungry. If I am not hungry, I do not force myself to eat the last 200 or so calories. But if you are hungry, you can eat them and not feel bad. I should also add that I am under sedentary style because I do not exercise at all. Some days though, aka last night and this week, where I am getting ready for finals and I am stressing, I always feel like I need to snack on something and use up my calories. As long as you are within the limit, a bit of a fluctuation shouldn't matter.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I quite often find that after my evening meal I havent had the full amount of calories Im supposed to, take today for instance Ive had 250 too few and Im full, I could eat some chocolate but then I could always manage some chocolate but Id rather not resort to that every day, but I really dont fancy much more. I never eat my excercised calories and never have. So basically is it really that bad if every now and again I dont have my full amount of calories? Please dont yell though, Im really new at all this diet stuff and I do want to do it properly:blushing: .

So this means that you are dropping weight like crazy, right. If you have given yourself at least 30 days and you are always full and under your calories and are NOT losing, then something is wrong! If this is just a day or week or even 2 weeks, then it will change, you will want your calories and wish for those you Didn't eat. Just GIVE Yourself Time to Adjust, don't force yourself to eat...just give yourself time.
  • thedogsmother
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, Im supposed to have 1340 calories a day, Im usually around that but once or twice a week I just cant face anything else, Ive never eaten big meals but Ive snacked on high calorie foods all day, since my life change I now eat healthy meals and obviously they are bigger meals than Im used to because they are healthier, I usually either go to the gym or swimming 5 days a week (although not this week, doctors orders :()and I have two german shepherds who need walks every day, so if I had to eat my excercised calories I honestly dont think I could physically do it. I will look into nuts/seeds as snacks though, might just be what I need :).