Healthy snacks prior and after donating blood

ericaolsen
ericaolsen Posts: 9
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
This may sound like a silly question, but this Friday I'm donating blood to a hospital and as I've donated blood in the past, I know they strongly recommend eating lots of sugary foods to keep your blood sugar up. I don't want to chow down on fatty foods though, so are there any alternatives that would be considered healthy but keep me from passing out at the same time?

Replies

• jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    I eat a banana or an apple before and then the same afterwards, I get the natural sugar into me. Or i have some dired fruit or a low fat/sugar museli bar. I suggest uncle toby body wise berry fusion 86 calories
    or have some realy fruit juise (you make your self no added sugar)
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    i know whenever i donate blood they told me to eat iron enriched foods and bananas LOL... but um i bet peanut butter would be great because it is a good fat :)
    And stay away from caffiene
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    Pure orange juice is good too.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Oatmeal or yogurt. I donated last week :-)
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Reminds me I need to donate!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I've never worried about eating prior to donating blood and nothing bad has ever happened to me. But, when I'm done donating I do take the time to eat the snacks the blood-collectors have available. Usually it's orange juice and fig newton cookies, so that would be good to eat prior.
  • Thank you all!
  • jimbo831
    jimbo831 Posts: 15
    Thanks everyone for the very helpful information. I am donating on the 29th and was just thinking about this same dilemma to avoid eating the cookies they always give away!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    You don't have to eat processed sugary stuff - in fact, as long as you have eaten a decent breakfast/lunch before you go in that should be fine.
    My blood bank is more specific about drinking lots of water, especially as I donate plasma. I have to say I agree with them after fainting the first time. Now I drink lots and haven't had any further problems.
    They usually give me chocolate and pizza afterwards, but I spotted cheese and crackers last time and decided that was probably a better bet :)
    Thanks for the reminder, I must give them a call and book another time.
This discussion has been closed.