Can someone review my daily intake

Options
So I have been trying to loose weight for the past few months, however bilateral Achilles Tendonitis is getting in the way of walking/running, etc. I did try using a recumbent bike, however I just can't stand the damn thing!!

I have been trying to eat around 1200 calories daily as suggested by MFP, however changed it up a bit and lowered the grams of carbs down to 100 daily and up'd my protein to 100 grams. However, since I have been unable to do any cardio I have stopped losing weight...arr

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Be careful of going under the 1200 and you can still exercise without standing, lots of chair exercises you can do with legs and upper body while you are healing.

Its not perfect but moving is burning calories!

Heal fast and Good Luck.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    As a male you really shouldn't be on 1200 calories, 1500 minimum is recommended for men.

Chances are your body is trying to hold onto whatever you are putting into it...up your calories slowly to 1500 for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also if you can't do cardio at the moment try switching to strength training or look up some wheelchair cardio...every llittle helps
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I didn't see many - if any - vegetables. You often 'drink' your breakfast and lunch and only eat solids at supper time. I don't know much about these protein shakes...are they fortified with vitamins and minerals in addition to the enormous amount of protein? Is that much protein in a day good for someone? How's your fiber intake? So many questions and I'm not a dietician or nutritionist...perhaps you should consult one.
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    I reviewed your intake and what I noticed was that you are not only eating too few calories, but most of them are coming from the protien shakes. Even without activity you can lose weight, but you need a more balanced diet and more calories. Also, even light exercise will help!
  • Grammie9259
    Options
    Can you do some upper body work with your injury? Push-ups, bicep curls, tri-ceps dips and kick-backs were my favorites when I aggravated my sciatica. I need to be better about it too, but keep an eye your sugar and sodium. A lot of packaged foods have a lot of it hiding inside. Good luck!
  • Hedone
    Hedone Posts: 92
    Options
    Men should stay around 1500 to 1800 calories a day. If you go less than that your body will go into starvation mode. As for exercising try swimming, there is not pressure on any joints, you burn lots of calories and its fun. Good luck!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    More food. Both in terms of calories and in terms of legit, real, solid food. I know that's not what you want to hear but look at your fiber stats - Some days you're not even hitting 14grams of fiber!

For men losing weight, 1500 cals/day is a perfectly acceptable MINIMUM standard. Load up on veggies, fruit, lean protein, high-fiber carbs (none of that white ultra processed junk) and lots of water.

If you aren't exercising a great deal, I see no reason why you should be consuming SO much protein. 20-25% of your daily cals from protein is more than enough. And protein shakes are totally unnecessary, unless you really honestly cannot be bothered to take 5 mins to make yourself a meal. I didn't start using protein supplements until I was training for a 10 mile run, weight lifting 3 times a week, and doing 1-2 solid hours of hard exercise a DAY. It's just not necessary.

Sorry if this seems a tad harsh, but you asked!
  • mom2threeQTs
    mom2threeQTs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but do you really need to be drinking that many shakes? Is there any particular reason why you are keeping your carb intake so low? Veggies are what helped me lose most of my weight, and you don't seem to be eating many of them. I also noticed that there are many frozen or prepared meals, which are most likely high in sodium. It is possible you are retaining water. 3 of the past few days (Thurs, Sun & Mon, I believe) you have eaten closer to 1600 calories, and those days may cause you to weigh more than the days when you are actually eating 1200 calories. If you are zig zagging your calories, only look at your weekly losses, and weigh yourself after 3 days of 1200 calories. I'm sure there are exercises you can do while healing. Perhaps your doctor of physiotherapist can help?
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I see a lot of your dinners are these weight watchers meals. Are these prepackaged frozen meals? I am not too familiar with those meals, but most frozen dinners are packed with sodium. And that can make you retain water which can add pounds on the scale.