OT: Bunny!!!!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Well, the girlfriend and I were hanging out this weekend, and I've been wanting to get a new pet for some time since my cat passed away. Well, I wanted something that requires a bit less attention, but is still fun to play with and cuddle - so I was thinking maybe a ferret.

Well, we were looking at ferrets when Sarah noticed that one of the bunnies was literally climbing up the wall towards her. It was also following her. So, she asked to play with the bunny. She fell in love with it instantly, and I did too. So... we brought her home and named her Layla :)

Now, do any of you have any experience with bunnies? I usually use my mom for advice (she's a farmgirl who also worked as a vet tech) but she informed me that they only ever had bunnies as food, not pets.

Anyways, give me a little bit and I'll try to get some bunny pictures :) Hope you all had a great weekend!

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Well, the girlfriend and I were hanging out this weekend, and I've been wanting to get a new pet for some time since my cat passed away. Well, I wanted something that requires a bit less attention, but is still fun to play with and cuddle - so I was thinking maybe a ferret.

Well, we were looking at ferrets when Sarah noticed that one of the bunnies was literally climbing up the wall towards her. It was also following her. So, she asked to play with the bunny. She fell in love with it instantly, and I did too. So... we brought her home and named her Layla :)

Now, do any of you have any experience with bunnies? I usually use my mom for advice (she's a farmgirl who also worked as a vet tech) but she informed me that they only ever had bunnies as food, not pets.

Anyways, give me a little bit and I'll try to get some bunny pictures :) Hope you all had a great weekend!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I wanted a bunny for my son, but they aren't as lil kid friendly.. He kept tryin to bite J and then J would try to bite him back. So we went with fishys instead.. lol I don't know much about bunnys but check online. I'm sure there is tons of info you can find. Good Luck with Layla.. Can't wait to see pics of her!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    We have two. We have only had them about 2 months. Both boys (we are pretty sure....)

My kids like them. We have two large pens for them, one for day one for night. We can't do the loose in the house thing because we have four dogs (all hunting breeds.)

Here is a quick and easy and cheap way to build more pens/houses for your bunny. We modified it. One is 8 square feet, the other is about 12 square feet of floorspace. They are litter box trained (we use pine chips as their cage is a pen and is very open/airy).

ooops, here the link
    http://sprowtybun.tripod.com/nic.html
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Nice to have some bunny to love!!!:happy:
    Had rabbits as pets when I was a kid, my memories are good ones, cuddle time etc, not too difficult to raise. My in-laws had a little one they let run in the house, it didn't stay long as it had a taste for electrical/computer cords. So, mixed results. Hope yours is wonderful, sounds as if it already fell in love with the girlfriend!!!

BTW, congrats on an amazing weight loss:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Ez
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    The one thing I've heard about bunnies is that they eat wires - so be careful!
  • mramig
    mramig Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Maybe my cat thinks that he is a bunny because he has chewed through 6 phone chargers, a lap top charger, and a hair straightener!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had rabbits as a kid and one of them had defective teeth - they grew outrageously long and my dad actually clipped them once every couple weeks. They were in a cage outside and eventually coyotes figured out how to open their cage.......
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I am terrified of rabbits LOL.... i got bitten by my cousins rabbit when i was little and had to get 7 stitches:noway: ... now i wont go near them i even start to panic inside.... sounds so stupid lol

jackie
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    They are litter box trained (we use pine chips as their cage is a pen and is very open/airy).

i thought pine and ceder were bad for them :ohwell: i have one, you have to watch what you feed them NO iceburg lettuce, rootabagas and i think beets its poisones to them :sick: only carrots and other sweet fruit once a day, to much sugar for them but i give lots of romaine lettuse daily and he loves paper i fold it in half and put it in there and he throws it around he alse loves his rattle he chases around and i also put a wood bird toy in there with a a bell on he end of it he likes playin with that. ialso keep lots of baking soda and an air nutralizer air freshner thing near his cage for the smell :sick:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    They are litter box trained (we use pine chips as their cage is a pen and is very open/airy).

i thought pine and ceder were bad for them :ohwell: i have one, you have to watch what you feed them NO iceburg lettuce, rootabagas and i think beets its poisones to them :sick: only carrots and other sweet fruit once a day, to much sugar for them but i give lots of romaine lettuse daily and he loves paper i fold it in half and put it in there and he throws it around he alse loves his rattle he chases around and i also put a wood bird toy in there with a a bell on he end of it he likes playin with that. ialso keep lots of baking soda and an air nutralizer air freshner thing near his cage for the smell :sick:

Re: Pine - I read up and read up and read up on this. Some sites say don't some say it's okay. Finally I read about how in an enclosed space the pine oil can cause respiratory problems in the long term. Since our cage is a pen in the house rather than a fully enclosed cage it is very well ventilated. Since the pine is limited to a small litter box and not their entire area I decided to go with that choice. But, it is something to be aware of and I do appreciate you pointing that out. :smile:

Our rabbits get unlimited timothy hay, some rabbit pellets, fresh organic baby spinach, organic apples (no seeds) and a small amount of carrots. When we are eating it they also get some melon.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I am terrified of rabbits LOL.... i got bitten by my cousins rabbit when i was little and had to get 7 stitches:noway: ... now i wont go near them i even start to panic inside.... sounds so stupid lol

jackie

I picked up a mostly wild rabbit as a child and it didn't think I was nearly as cuddly as I thought it was. I had a nasty gash on my face. I learned to respect the bunny. :laugh:
  • msarro
    Options
    sspx0121xb0.jpg

Sorry, somehow forgot how to put in images :) There's my bunny!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    So cute!!!!!!!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Awww, That looks like the bunny I used to have (Bunny bunny, ha, so original!)
    Definitely keep him stuff to chew on so he can file his teeth down and won't chew on stuff he isn't supposed to.
    And whatever you do, don't have a male and female around even if they are separated. I had two bunnies that had separate cages but somehow the female kept ending up pregnant. (I think my ex husband would let them run around while I was at work).
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Aw... cute bunny Matteo!

My MIL had 3 and is down to 1.
    She lets it hop around the house once in a blue but be careful.. they like to chew on everything!

I want a ferret!!!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    When I first saw this thread... I had a different bunny in mind *eg*
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    Bad Jammie!
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    We have a litter trained bunny and have had him for 4 years. We have had no issues with him chewing wires... he likes books instead :) We have found that using the recycled paper litter seems to be what he likes the most. The only problem I have had is him stealing junk food from the kids...he has a serious sweet tooth!!!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    ***panics and leaves the room*****

jackie
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Very cute!