Here's the reason to stick with it when it gets hard.

Options
For years, I looked down and was embarrassed by the size of my stomach. As it grew, my embarrassment turned to shame and helplessness. Day after day I worked to ignore the shape I was in so I wouldn't dwell on it.

Today thanks to MFP things are different. I look down and I'm still amazed that the gut is gone. It's GONE! Every time I see the flat stomach it gives me joy. If things get hard in other areas of my life, I can always look down and remember where I was.

If you are still losing and you are finding it difficult, stay the course. It is so worth it when you reclaim your body and your health. I keep seeing articles about health that reconfirm that this was the right thing to do for longevity and disease prevention. Beyond that, I see benefits in a hundred areas of my life that I didn't even consider when I started.

Ignore those that say that you don't need to lose weight. Go low. Don't aim at being normal sized for an American. Normal sized for a human is much smaller than normal sized for an American. Let's change the average. Let's make healthy the new normal.

I'd like to post a before and after but my photobucket account won't let me in. It is in my profile page though. Can anyone help me with it?

Replies

• Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    You do NOT look 50! Congratulations! Wonderful job. Thanks for the extra motivation!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing job Ray!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are an inspiration.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    1638501_8628.jpg
    1638501_7739.jpg

You have done so well! You look amazing! (giving your photos a try)
    awesome, it worked! Here's how I did it. I right-clicked on your photo (the big one, not the thumbnail) in your profile pic area, and selected 'copy image location'. I pasted this URL into the chat box here, surrounded by 'image tags' which look like this url except with the I M G letters as lowercase. That's all :smile:
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Congrats man! Awesome job. Way to go.
  • SherryC53
    SherryC53 Posts: 48
    Options
    Ray, you look amazing and I only wish I had started at 49 like you, but it's never toolate to lose weight and get healthy! I love you "little" brother...so much!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    WOW.. you look great.
  • boysan
    boysan Posts: 12
    Options
    Our collective health as a nation is so poor. We really need to get the message out that this is too important to ignore, and it is never to late to start healing ourselves.

Congratulations from one fifty-year old to another!
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    50!?! I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years!! Great job, Ray!!!
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wow. You're an inspiration!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. Seriously, as a 46 year old, I think it's never too late to take control of your body. You've done just that. Kudos x 1000 to you!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    wow, wow, wow!!!! amazing transformation!!! you look great, and you must feel fabulous!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • rayfromtx
    rayfromtx Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks Y'all. Thanks a lot Sarah. I knew there was a way. I left out the img tags when I tried it.

The before pic is from the weekend that I decided enough was enough. The after picture was 8 1/2 months and 59 pounds later. The people here have been so inspirational and supportive.

I'm not used to this body yet. I still put my hand on my belly to convince myself I'm not dreaming it. I look down while I'm cooking along at 25 mpg and see the body of an athlete in spandex bike shorts and can't believe it's me.

When I lost 10 pounds, many people told me not to lose more because I would look old and sickly. I didn't fall for that crap. I stayed the course and you can too.

Eat healthy. Invest in good food. Don't put cheap gas in your car and don't put cheap food in your body. Save money somewhere else. Eating healthy is delicious.
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wow!! FABULOUS! You've been working hard...:flowerforyou:
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Options
    very impressive! you did a GREAT job! congrats on all your hard work!!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i love it! we need to strive to be smaller eat less..the world literally cannot sustain what we go through to get all that food in our bellies.
    WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ahh thank you for sharing! I feel like I really needed to read that. You look great- and so much younger! I like how you said to ignore people who tell you that you don't need to lose weight... I think think this is often more a form of flattery than it is truth. And it is very true that "normal"or average for Americans does not equal healthy. I am not extremely overweight, but I could be much healthier. I have that annoying belly that I have ALWAYS had, and I can't imagine myself without it... but your post was truly inspiring and gave me the little lift I needed to keep at it and work harder. Congratulations!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Awesome job Ray. U are definitely an inspiration.
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    Well done! You look fantastic!
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Fab job! Thanks for the pep talk!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!