what do you do when...

Options
what do you do when you eat something and you have no idea whats in it. for example, my coworker brought home made banana bread (bad i know) and i snacke a few pieces....when you go to log home made banana bread theres so many different choices, totally different calories, should i just pick one somewhere in the middle? goes with any food, like out at resturaunts n stuff too, i secretley want to pick the lowest calorie option

Replies

• PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here's my suggestion - ask the co-worker for her recipe and enter it here in the recipe calculator function.
    That way you'll have a better idea of the ingredients :)
  • beachbum8
    beachbum8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That happened to me today as well, one of the guys brought in lemon cupcakes his wife made.. but I know she isn't a homemade baker and most likely used the Duncan Hines box one..but other then that, I usually put in the generic option. I cringe when I see what the calories are and always wanna pick the lower calorie one.. but I think to myself that its better to guess over then under.
  • funky_stripes
    funky_stripes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    its always such a tuff call
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would pick a dew different ones from the database. See if they are close in most of the numbers. Choose on that is in the middle.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Assume the worst and hope for the best...
  • dasiscoe
    dasiscoe Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, consider what EXTRAS were in the bread you ate. did it have nuts or raisins or chocolate chips etc? That would help you narrow down your many choices. If you have a cook book handy, look up a basic banana bread recepie and submit it to the myfitnesspal recepies. Then save it under a title that includes your name for future reference. Be sure and add in any of the extra goodies. Most cook books now give a calorie count for the recepies to help you out. It is work, but well worth it.

Regarding food you eat at a restaurant -- most major chains now publish the nutritional information for their entire menu. Many of them have it posted on the internet. Others, like Denney's, McDonalds, Farmer Boys, and the like even have the calories posted on their price board! You can also ask at the counter for a copy of their nutritional information and 8 times out of 10 the restaurant employee will have one to give to you. Take it home and start entering your favorite meals into your food diary when you need it. These days, there really is no lack of information to answer your needs.

Best of success in your efforts! :smile: