I'm not practicing witchcraft!

Options
So yet another 10 yr old friend is over with my daughter to play and I keep doing my Zumba anyway. Because I gotta eat! I gave up being embarrased long ago. These are girls who's parents were athletic. They belong to the most expensive gym in town. They are in every competitive sport known to man or kid. But me exercising in my living room? The most bizarre thing they have ever seen! It's as if I'm practicing witchcraft!

After the shock and disbelief they think it's sort of fun. Where's the fun in exercise today? Aren't we supposed to be having fun?

I thought i'd share. Today this girl actually said out loud: I've never seen a Mom do THAT! ROFL! What Mom's got to do to eat...

Don't hide away and exercise. Maybe someone will get braver if you are not afraid to look rediculous.

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    How ironic. I'm a witch who does Zumba!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    Ah, I love your post :)
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    "What Mom's got to do to eat." Oh wow, lol! That's pretty interesting that people would find it so odd to work out at home! You are right, we should never hide exercise. Congrats on you 41lb loss, that is fantastic!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    My sister is an old school wiccan. She belly dances. :-D
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    If that is the most embarrassing thing your daughter ever sees you do, you are WAY ahead of the game. :wink:

(Not to mention what a fantastic role model you are for her. You have planted a wonderful seed!)
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    My sister is an old school wiccan. She belly dances. :-D
    I wish I was a belly dancing Wiccan. I keep You Tubing it to watch it. In Northwest Ohio there isn't a huge demand for belly dancing classes.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    At 10 I would have been mortified if my mother had done an exercise video in front of my friends!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    At 10 I would have been mortified if my mother had done an exercise video in front of my friends!

She kind of likes to parade them by to have something interesting to show
  • MotherofDREAMS
    Options
    I love it! :happy:
    I have not given in to exercising in my home (regularly) for many reasons....
    1. the barrage of my 6 plus other kids coming thru at anytime,
    2. the TV is in the main living room & front entrance.
    & 3. almost as terrifying,our home being about 80+ yrs old & wood floors throughout... other than yoga & pilates, more vigorous exercise will either wake up the living dead or I'm afraid that all walls would start to crack & crumble.

....however the belly dancing sounds like another good choice.
  • NatalieWinning
    Options
    I love it! :happy:
    I have not given in to exercising in my home (regularly) for many reasons....
    1. the barrage of my 6 plus other kids coming thru at anytime,
    2. the TV is in the main living room & front entrance.
    & 3. almost as terrifying,our home being about 80+ yrs old & wood floors throughout... other than yoga & pilates, more vigorous exercise will either wake up the living dead or I'm afraid that all walls would start to crack & crumble.

....however the belly dancing sounds like another good choice.

That's me! Front room right in the door is me and the TV jiggling the floors!
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I go down to the basement, chase the kids upstairs, shut the door and threaten them that I don't want to hear from them or see them unless there's blood or fire! You're brave, but I can't stand working out in front of my kids. I don't even really like it when they're in the same room while I'm on the treadmill.

Ironically, I enjoy group classes and running at the gym in a room full of other people exercising. It must be something about being the ONLY one looking ridiculous while everyone else just mocks! :)
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Nice! <3
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Awesome NAMSTER!!! Keep on Rocking in the Free World.
    Now you're a Role Model -- instead of a ROLLS model! :laugh:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I find that I'm a bit self conscious when I exercise. I don't even like hubs & the son to see me. But they have a couple of times. They didn't laugh, and their eyes didn't suffer any damage as a result either. :laugh: I know it shouldn't bother me, but I guess it'll get better in time.

You are a great role model for the girls! :happy:
  • NatalieWinning
    Options
    You are awesome! I find that I'm a bit self conscious when I exercise. I don't even like hubs & the son to see me. But they have a couple of times. They didn't laugh, and their eyes didn't suffer any damage as a result either. :laugh: I know it shouldn't bother me, but I guess it'll get better in time.

You are a great role model for the girls! :happy:

The rule is they can't laugh at me unless they do it with me!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Awesome NAMSTER!!! Keep on Rocking in the Free World.
    Now you're a Role Model -- instead of a ROLLS model! :laugh:

You just literally sent me into a coughing fit from laughing so hard!! I don't which one makes me giggle more, your profile pic or your comment :) YOU are awesome!!!
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    I just got a Gold's Gym Dance Workout for our Wii recently and my kids got a huge laugh from watching me do it. It's okay because I'm the first to admit that I'm completely uncoordinated and without a lick of rhythm. But now they are actually doing it with me and we probably are burning more calories from laughing than any exercise!!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

HAHAH! I was thinking the same thing! Me too! :drinker:

I think it is awesome that you allow your children to be a part of it and make it fun! Way to go mom!
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Oh from the mouth of babes, right? I'm getting Zumba for my b-day next week so I can dance like a fool in my living room. I'm so excited because I'm going to do it with my toddler! She already dances like a lunatic, so she'll probably be better than me lol
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If that is the most embarrassing thing your daughter ever sees you do, you are WAY ahead of the game. :wink:

(Not to mention what a fantastic role model you are for her. You have planted a wonderful seed!)

What she said!

10 year olds are so fun because EVERYTHING parents do embarasses them. I'm having a great time embarassing my kid. Why should I have all the fun?