I gotta get over the numbers

Options
alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
I am a size 11 in jeans/bottoms.

The number makes me so sad, but then I look at myself in the mirror, and theres no way I could ever fit into one of those micro sizes (< 6). I have a big butt and thighs, but they look proportional to my body and I am happy with them. I love my butt.

Its just that when I hold up a pair of jeans that I am thinking about trying on, they're SO WIDE!! It makes me sad that I fit into such big clothes. I have to get over that number 11, its not that big of a deal. I look fine, from the waist down... I could use some toning, but the weight is all nicely placed.

It makes me so sad when girls talk about their sizes, because I will never be a small size. Its frustrating that it is hard for me to find pants big enough for me (and if they do have pants my size, there are usually only a limited selection of styles).

...Just a rant... went shopping recently, its always slightly traumatic...

Replies

• b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Try being a size 20, holding the pants up at the store, and breaking down in tears because something THAT big is what covers your *kitten*. I want to be a size 12. That is all I want. I pick up a size 12 and feel like I will never get to that size pants. :(
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that mens clothes are sized the way they are,especially pants.
    Would go crazy with the numbered sizes as if it is the same as shoes no two are alike.

Fwiw,you look great from your pics and as you say don`t fret over the rest.:flowerforyou:
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You are also 5'8" girl!! You look fabulous, and I think that before you know it you will be in smaller sizes just from toning those legs and thighs like you do all the time. Who cares what the size is or what the number on the scale is, look at those pictures you just took, can we say hottie!!! <3 Keep up the good work, you are one of those lucky girls who has the brains AND the beauty!!
  • sewsimplykate
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I gave birth to my son in May '08 and i'm just now starting to lose weight. Yes it's gone up and down the last 2 years but i've finally managed to lose a TON of inches around my waist that just wouldn't budge until i stopped nursing and started working out!

Anyways, my point it, before i became pregnant i was under a size 4-6 and now my hips are so wide that i don't think i'll ever get back to a 6. I really want to! And even if i lose the 27ish lbs that i want, i'm just so worried that i'll never get below an 8! I'm currently a 10 and like you, i love how my hips and butt looks! And honeslty, i just want my tummy gone! haha

But don't worry, it's just a number! And having curves isen't a bad thing!!
  • pepper396
    pepper396 Posts: 33
    Options
    Before starting MFP I was always yo-yo dieting, South Beaching and wishful thinking or making excuses. I was stuck at a size 14 throughout my entire 20's. I now started working out hard and counting calories.... I am in a size 12 and can picture myself a lot smaller than a size 14. I may not ever be a size 9 because of bone structure... but I am happy that something is FINALLY HAPPENING. Working hard WILL get you there..... it just may take time, trust me on this!
  • shug458
    shug458 Posts: 99
    Options
    I just looked at your photo's -you are stunning! Do not fret over numbers - Looking at you I would honestly say a size 6 - again it's just a number - you look great! Keep up the good work and don't worry too much about numbers (which I know is hard) -
  • cathybuonantuono
    Options
    Please!!!! I would be so excited to be a size 11. When I started this weight loss journey two years ago I was wearing a size 20 (and they were getting tight) and now I am in a size 14. With some toning, I think I will eventually get to a size 12 and will be very happy to be there. I still look at myself in the mirror and can't believe how good I look in a 14!!! Be happy with the way you look. Numbers mean nothing.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I have a pair of size 4 jeans and I honestly don't think I'll get back into them, especially after three pregnancies. But, I'm glad I have a nice hour glass figure and I have a nice butt that my husband loves. In all honesty, the number doesn't matter if you're healthy and you look good!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    Honey size doesn't matter they could be a size 6 and all soft and cottage cheesey and you could be an 11 and hard as a rock.... who looks better? you do everytime. Dont let the number get you down it could be so much worse and i bet if you keep working out and losing inches you'll get down smaller than you think. Also instead of looking at how "wide" the jeans are think about those little micro sizes and those chicks don't have an *kitten*. I pick junk in my trunk over a size 6 any day! A-N-Y D-A-Y
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Yeah! It's one thing for a girl who's barely 5 feet tall to talk about 7s and 9s but you're 5'8"! And you look FABULOUS!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Try being a size 20, holding the pants up at the store, and breaking down in tears because something THAT big is what covers your *kitten*. I want to be a size 12. That is all I want. I pick up a size 12 and feel like I will never get to that size pants. :(

I want to be a size 12 too.....I am currently a 16 but was a 20 after I had my first daughter. I went yesterday to try on jeans and could'nt get a pair over my *kitten*...confused and pissed....and sweating like a fat pig...I looked at the tag and it said a size 14...the hanger was mismarked! Thanks store for making me feel extremely large!

I was a 9/10- 11/12 in high school while all my friends were size 0,2,4's...sucks but I also had hips and boobs before they did. It is what it is....embrace your curves....some would love to not be beanpoles!!
  • MotherofDREAMS
    Options
    Dear Alecta.... you are a cutie! enjoy the beautiful hips God gave ya!
    & keep up the toning! ...you'll get there!

Kinda funny though.... I was just talking about this with a local men's clothing retailer today...
    Discussing that I had finally gone shopping for new jeans... (wanted something a bit current fashion~wise)
    Anyway ...Women's jeans & those da*n sizes.
    & the fact that if you have any hint of an hour glass figure, even if they are almost tight everywhere else, they have that gap at the back of the waist. PLUS...when you sit... your *@#* crack is gonna show.
    ...So I only came home with one pair that ... yeah, they are cute but i do not 'love' them!
    UGH!!!! We Women come in every shape & size....
    "Men.... oh... only about 3 shapes." he said.
    (Sorry - this maybe isn't the venting you expected..but thank you for the outlet!)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Reason number one thousand why we girls deserve MEASUREMENTS on our clothes like the boys!
  • alecta337
    Options
    I wish that I could wear short shorts, but I feel that even if I get down to my goal weight, I will still look weird in them. I think that this is something I just have to accept and move on. Its frustrating that so many girls that I see every day wear those tiny shorts and look great, but I put them on, and its just indecent. I have one pair on short shorts that look nice on me, but they're not tight, just very short.

Just more ranting and self pity...

It really does help that my boyfriend loves my thighs, he says they're the sexiest part of me. Whenever I point out girls wearing those tiny shorts and tell him that I wish I could wear that, he says that he would rather have my butt and thighs the way they are than have me fit into those shorts. Its very nice to have someone love the part of you that you hate, it will be easier to accept if I will always have big thighs
  • alecta337
    Options
    Dear Alecta.... you are a cutie! enjoy the beautiful hips God gave ya!
    & keep up the toning! ...you'll get there!

Kinda funny though.... I was just talking about this with a local men's clothing retailer today...
    Discussing that I had finally gone shopping for new jeans... (wanted something a bit current fashion~wise)
    Anyway ...Women's jeans & those da*n sizes.
    & the fact that if you have any hint of an hour glass figure, even if they are almost tight everywhere else, they have that gap at the back of the waist. PLUS...when you sit... your *@#* crack is gonna show.
    ...So I only came home with one pair that ... yeah, they are cute but i do not 'love' them!
    UGH!!!! We Women come in every shape & size....
    "Men.... oh... only about 3 shapes." he said.
    (Sorry - this maybe isn't the venting you expected..but thank you for the outlet!)

I know exactly what you mean about that gap!!! I always have to wear a belt, no matter if the pants fit like a glove, because that little area that shows my panties.
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    If there's a Vanity near you, I totally suggest shopping there.

When I was in high school, I had a hard time finding jeans that fit because I'm 5'11" and have quite the "badonkadonk" and "thunder thighs". When I did find jeans that fit my backside, they were ALWAYS too short. And I'd almost always end up crying in the dressing room looking at numbers like 12 and 14 when all my other friends were in the single digits.

Then I found Vanity (it's quite the love story). They sell jeans by men's measurements. So instead of trying to guess about sizes, you go by waist and inseam. And they've got TONS of styles in ALL sizes. And the jeans are actually pretty reasonably priced--usually around $35-$40 and even cheaper if you get them on sale.

It might not help you get totally over the size, but it definitely makes shopping for jeans much less stressful and demeaning. You're so much more than that number and you deserve to know that. :)
  • skinney1357
    Options
    Hi alecta,
    I am 5'8 too and can't believe you are in 11s! You weigh less than me! I am at around 141 pretty consistently and a size 4. I have thighs but no booty or boobs. Be happy you kept your curves and that everything is just a number. I have tried to go under 140 and just can't. I wish I could get to 125! Be happy and proud of what you have done!