Avocados!!!

redhead91
redhead91 Posts: 251
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Honestly, they gross me out. I don't really mind the taste. I even eat them with a little salt on occasion. I just have a really hard time getting past the texture. How can I eat them in a less disgusting way?

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    do you prefer them more chunky solid pieces or the consistency of guacamole?

If you don't want to taste the texture at all you could make fish tacos and use them with some light sour cream and make an avocado sauce for the top of your taco.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    I cut mine in pieces and put them in my salad or I'll make it like a spread and put it on a sandwich. I rarely eat sandwiches so most times I'm eating it on a salad.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I love avocado slices on sandwiches and in tacos & burritos or diced up chunks in a salad. Maybe if you bury them in stuff like that, you wont be so aware of the texture. You can always use other healthy fat sources if you just don't prefer them though.
  • redhead91
    Definitely solid. I don't eat anything with a 'mushy' consistency. I don't eat bananas for the same reason. I've thought about grilling the avocados on the grill. Do you think that would make them less mushy?
  • RFrick
    RFrick Posts: 408 Member
    OK. Try to not gross out on me and just give this a try. I love, love, love avacados this way. Take a piece of toast, butter it if you like (but not necissary), spread about 1/4 of a mashed avacado over the toast and sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper. We just usually eat this as a meal, but it would also be good as a side with soup.
  • redhead91
    What else is as healthy? I've always heard that avocados were pretty much an 'ultimate healthy food'. I like olives by themselves, but not nuts (too weird). I'm so picky with texture!
  • redhead91
    OK. Try to not gross out on me and just give this a try. I love, love, love avacados this way. Take a piece of toast, butter it if you like (but not necissary), spread about 1/4 of a mashed avacado over the toast and sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper. We just usually eat this as a meal, but it would also be good as a side with soup.

That sounds suprisingly good! The crunchiness of the toast would totally make the avocado less gross!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Definitely solid. I don't eat anything with a 'mushy' consistency. I don't eat bananas for the same reason. I've thought about grilling the avocados on the grill. Do you think that would make them less mushy?

Solid...you could eat it ontop of a sandwich, burger, in salad, in a chunky salsa, on top of taco's, mexican shrimp ceviche...mmm my favorite!
    ceviche.jpg
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    I thinly slice avocados and eat them on wasa bread.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to try (and like) them myself. I hope you get a lot of great replies!!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Generally, (apologies do not recall where I came across this) avacoado is not a food you want to cook as it can go bitter during the cooking process. You might be able to sear them on a grill, but I have a hard time imagining how they would stand up to grilling.
  • eat them with sushi! I love California rolls with avocados! :)yum!
  • I like avocados on sandwiches, mashed up as a spread or dip...but my daughter loves to just scoop them out and put ranch dressing on top and eat them. I have seen people put them on a toasted BLT sandwich and do mostly veggies with just a little bit of bacon.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    You can get healthy fats from olive oil (spray on veggies, stir fry veggies in it, use for salad dressing, etc), salmon... you don't like nuts; does that mean you don't like nut butters? Natural almond butter and peanut butter are healthy fat sources too. I'm seeing more and more people using coconut oil too. You could always take a fish oil supplement if you don't think you can get enough healthy fat from foods.

Not that it's a fat source, but you don't like bananas either? Ever try freezing them? If you take a ripe banana, remove the peel, put in ziplock and freeze, you can eat like a frozen treat, or slightly blend to soften into an ice cream like texture.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    You don't *have* to eat them. They're outside the norm in that they have some nice healthy fats, but you could get those from olives, nuts, fish, or fish oil. Then most other veggies have the same vitamins and minerals as avocados, you could get that from a combo of carrots, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Don't eat what you don't like!

Personally I eat avocados on crackers. Not healthy, but oooooh such a sinfully good snack.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    OK. Try to not gross out on me and just give this a try. I love, love, love avocados this way. Take a piece of toast, butter it if you like (but not necessary), spread about 1/4 of a mashed avocado over the toast and sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper. We just usually eat this as a meal, but it would also be good as a side with soup.
    I'll agree on this one.. I used to hate Avocado's - the texture was weird, the taste bland etc, until someone made me a very similar sandwich when I lived in Australia - and I now like to eat them this way.. You can also put sliced tomato on top and grill them a bit as well..
    Another idea - which combines two rather weird tastes, but seem to compliment each other, is to use marmite instead of butter and then spread avocado over this - thinly sliced tomato on top, cracked pepper & garlic salt, then under the grill for a little bit - quite tasty..
    I still don't add them into salad or anything - haven't ventured that far :)
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    i don't know if you could grill them.... the only cooked form I've ever had them in was at a restaurant that stuffed it with a crab meat mixture, then lightly battered and fried it... but that so doesn't go in line with healthy eating.... it was good though.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Do you have to eat them? I don't eat food that grosses me out. Mayonnaise is actually evil, for instance.
  • 917sacha
    917sacha Posts: 2
    Avocados are pretty much all fat with little other nutritional value. Sure its low in cholesterol but there still is no reason why you should force yourself to eat them. Nuts, olive oil, and canola oil are great sources vegetarian fat. Don't try to be something that your not and it sounds like you not an avocado lover. And guess what thats ok! Plus the majority of avocados are grown outside of the US so by not eating them your saving oil while your at it. Good work!

That said, my favorite way to eat an avocado is to cut it in quarters (1 serving is 1/4), leave the skin on. Sprinkle it with lemon juice and salt, then eat it with a spoon. yum
  • redhead91
    You can get healthy fats from olive oil (spray on veggies, stir fry veggies in it, use for salad dressing, etc), salmon... you don't like nuts; does that mean you don't like nut butters? Natural almond butter and peanut butter are healthy fat sources too. I'm seeing more and more people using coconut oil too. You could always take a fish oil supplement if you don't think you can get enough healthy fat from foods.

Not that it's a fat source, but you don't like bananas either? Ever try freezing them? If you take a ripe banana, remove the peel, put in ziplock and freeze, you can eat like a frozen treat, or slightly blend to soften into an ice cream like texture.

I won't eat bananas frozen either, I have a long history with how nasty bananas are! Lol

Anyway, I do like peanut butter. I eat fish a lot too (to my husband's dismay) but I would never take fish oil pills (nasty!). I was told by my doctor to try and incorporate avocados into my diet. I eat quite a bit of veggies but I do honestly WANT to like avocados!
This discussion has been closed.