Panic attacks and anxiety

Options
I suffer from anxiety & panic attacks. My heart feels like it's racing a mile a minute so the thought of working out freaks me out even more. Anyone else have this issue? If so, how do you overcome the fear?

I've been on medication (lexapro) in the past but I don't want to go back down that road.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    make sure when you work out you are in a comfortable area. So if you get panic attacks in large crowds or in front of people, try working out outside at a park or trail that is not very populated. Owning my own elliptical machine has done wonders for me personally, because I don't have to worry about...anything...other than working out! Hope this helps a little! good luck!!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Once you have ruled out any potential heart and health problems then you'll be given the okay to carry on with your exercise...as I'm guessing you have?

You should then know that any symptoms arising are due to anxiety rather than any underlying problems. Exercise can alleviate symptoms of anxiety and stress and may therefore benefit your mental health...

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First of all, think about contacting a professional other than your PCP. They really help.
    Second, try to pin point what exactly sends you into the panic attacks. Is it a certain thought? A certain activity? A certain person? Etc. Sometimes it helps to write down when you have one and what you were doing immediately before.
    Third, if you can pin point one try to modify what it is that causes the panic attack.
    Fourth, Deep breathe. Remind yourself that you have had these before, and that no matter how much it scares you you are not going to die from it.
    Fifth, exercise is actually a good thing because it distracts your brain and releases endorphins and other chemicals that will make the panic and fear subside.

Hope this helps.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love exercising. It has really helped me to control my axiety and panic attacks.
  • powerstrokediesel
    Options
    I found that finding a gym with small groups has helped! It will actually build your confidence and help your panic attacks. Ive suffered panic and anxiety attacks for 6 years. I was also on lexapro but eventually tappered off. Find the right routine that works for you. Drink lots of water! even though your heart is racing dont think your having a panic attack its your heart working . and just throwing this in if your having a panic attack , read something outloud , you cant hyperventilate while reading and its slow everything down! good luck
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    I sure do (on occasion).

Breath through it, and focus on something that doesn't stress ya out. You can most likely push through any attack you have.
  • lindsschou
    Options
    Hi, I actually started an anxiety post earlier today, feel free to add me if you like. I have to stop and first recognize that all the physical concerns I have are anxiety, not a heart attack, not a stroke, just anxiety. Then I need to stop and focus on one thing, and take deep breaths. I chew gum alot too, it helps to distract me.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Your post sounds like it was written by me! I was on Lexapro for a while after being diagnosed with GAD but went off of it because the possible side effects gave me more anxiety than I was having without it! The best advice I can give you is to just start exercising. Start slow to calm your nerves. Walk and a slow/moderate pace and just enjoy it. Or Roller blade or bike do whatever you enjoy to start yourself off. Once I really got into it my anxiety and panic attacks almost completely disappeared! I still have some problems with it every once in a while but when I do I just get to the gym or go outside and workout. Calms me down and gets rid of my anxiety. Good Luck and feel free to add me if you want! :flowerforyou:
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from Panic Attacks.. I know how awful they can be from first hand experience and I also know that unless you have suffered them, its hard to understand them.

I also take Lexipro for them. I have found that it really has made a huge difference for me. I also take kolonopin on occasion when an attack is coming on.

ANY exercise is better than no excersise.. start out slow and work your way up. There was a time when I would actually be able to get my heart rate up to really high numbers in no time flat... now that I have been working out steady and for awhile now.. its really hard for me to break a sweat let alone get my heart rate up...

To also help, invest in a heart rate monitor that you wear... make sure it has an alarm so that you know if it gets too high for you.
    If you ever need to chat about ANYTHING.. please message me... add me to your friends list.
  • twimom03
    twimom03 Posts: 19
    Options
    I was having the same issue as you! I was afraid to exercise in fear that when I elevated my heart rate...it would trigger a panic attack (common anxiety symptom). I ruled out any heart condition by having a stress test and having the 24 hour holter examine done. I would start with ruling out any major health issues (as others have suggested). Then just start walking at a brisk pace around your neighborhood with friends/family members that you feel comfortable with. Trust me...after a few days...you will get over the fear and anxiety and the excerise will actually help to control the anxiety that you experience. GOOD LUCK!
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As an anxiety sufferer, I can sympathize. Exercising really does help, though!!! I also recommend learning some breathing exercises (NOT for when you workout, though!). Without realizing it, I was overbreathing (i.e., hyperventilating - taking in too much oxygen) and this was causing a lot of my anxiety. This page has a pretty good explanation of it, and how to change the way you breathe:

http://www.panic-attacks.co.uk/course/4-panic-attack-symptoms-hyperventilation-over-breathing/

Good luck; I know how difficult this can be. :flowerforyou:
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem for about 10 years. I put my HRM on before I drive to were I walk/climb stairs and by the time I get there I'm usually light headed and my heart is pounding away at about 80% my max hr. I put headphones in and stare at the ground if there are people there. After a few minutes I get sucked into my own little world and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Trying to relax through a panic attack has never worked for me. If my heart starts racing I need to do something physical and fast. Something that will make the racing heart make sense. It's the opposite of what I've been told to do but it's the only way I can make it through.
  • aliciadpo
    aliciadpo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    yoga and meditation!! i have anxiety disorder as well and anti-anxiety meds made me gain weight that I am currently trying to lose :( but you need to know that you can be in control. When you feel it coming on..... take deep breaths and think about how you can overcome the anxiety. Yoga really helps and meditation or prayer. I've been dealing with it for a long time so I've learned how to cope and over the years have learned to better manage panic attacks
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that it's just a panic attack and I won't let it get the best of me.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i also struggle with anxiety... BAD! ive been on all kinda meds for it. the latest was kilonopin. (sp) since i started working out hard core... i no longer take ANY of them. i think i was also on a daily dose of citropin or citro something. i never read it i just took it. but anyways, with working out, i was able to find a release to it all and i have stopped them all! u might be amazed at how much better u feel if u just attempt it!
  • sullivan50
    sullivan50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to get over "that feeling" when your heart rate gets
    up and all you can think about is a panci attack, because that is
    how it makes you feel. But I have learned that when you "recognize"
    it's a panic attack and NOT a heart attack or anything else. It goes away.
    Someone told me to recognize it is JUST that....think positive thoughts
    and know that you are safe. Sounds easy, but it's just a learning process.
    Good Luck!
  • micubs
    micubs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for your posts. Just knowing I'm not the only one that suffers like this very helpful. I normally work out on a regular basis and I know I'll feel better if I do. I just need to get over that initial fear and get moving. I will NOT let my anxiety stop me!!

Thanks again!
  • smapl001
    smapl001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I suffer from them daily. I try to limit caffeine and stay away from known triggers. Try another medication and make sure you attend therapy regularly.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love exercising. It has really helped me to control my anxiety and panic attacks.

Same here. I am still on meds but the exercise really helps. I do get anxious sometimes going to the club to workout if there are lots of people but I just push thru it. You can do it :)
  • mrs_mouse
    mrs_mouse Posts: 24
    Options
    I agree with everyone above... recognize your limits and symptoms, and if you start to feel faint or lightheaded, there's nothing wrong with going into the changeroom and taking a breather until you relax. Nobody will judge you.

Another thing that I have found to be HUGE for me in these kind of panic attacks (the ones triggered by an elevated heart rate), is changing my diet.

1. I have (painfully) cut out ALL caffeine and stimulants, and it has a made a huge difference. I cut coffee years ago because of my migraines, but I was still drinking tea and cola... I have recently cut those out too, because I was starting to notice a correlation, and it has *really* helped.

2. Protein... make sure you're eating enough protein, before you work out especially. I find the first thing to make my heart rate spike and trigger anxiety is low blood sugar. This is true throughout the day (eating more protein has been keeping me on a more even keel and stopping that "stressed and rushed" feeling that I thought was just from work deadlines), but is especially important when you're working out.

You are definitely not alone! There's nothing wrong with starting slow and working your way up. Start with some easy walking, and when you feel comfortable, throw in a little more intensity... increase gradually and you will not get that crazy spike that will freak you out. :)

(edited by me to add the following)

ALSO! Almost forgot...

Anyone who has anxiety and hasn't tried Bach's Rescue Remedy should run out and get some. It is a homeopathic remedy - comes in drops or lozenges - and it really helps. It's not going to stop a full-blown panic attack in mid-stride, but I take it when I start to feel even the slightest bit anxious, or in situations where I know I often have anxiety, and it almost always helps me calm down before it escalates. Try it. You won't regret it. The directions recommend taking it in water, but I find it easier to just drop a few drops right on my tongue. The great thing about it is that you don't feel any actual effects from the remedy itself (which is one of my anxiety triggers - anything altering my body functions). Who knows, maybe it's psychosomatic/not actually doing anything, but if it tricks me into thinking its working, then that's all I need anyways!