Paleo / Primal / hunter gatherer diet

Options
13»

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    OMG! Really? posting that crap in the other thread wasn't enough for you??? If people would spend the time working out that they spent hating on everyone else's diet/lifestyle choices, there would be a lot more skinny people in this world! Do what works for you, and just do it! Everyone is different! What works for one, might not work for another! I mean really? let's hate on a group of people that eat only clean natural occuring foods!!! please no, don't eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy meats!!! really?

ok, sorry, had to vent, so sick of seeing this crap.

I agree. I don't understand why people are so concerned in trying to prove other's diets to be wrong? Any diet can and may work great for some people, but not for others. Just because Paleo isn't ideal for you doesn't mean it isn't ideal for others. Some people just need to get off their high horses and get over it.

Agreed. Any time the witch hunters see "Paleo" they get up in arms and HAVE to jump on these threads to "show us" and act like they actually KNOW something.

To each their own. If they aren't in agreement with the Paleo way of eating, ignore the thread, and look for ones that say "carboholics" and join that one.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    OMG! Really? posting that crap in the other thread wasn't enough for you??? If people would spend the time working out that they spent hating on everyone else's diet/lifestyle choices, there would be a lot more skinny people in this world! Do what works for you, and just do it! Everyone is different! What works for one, might not work for another! I mean really? let's hate on a group of people that eat only clean natural occuring foods!!! please no, don't eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy meats!!! really?

Relax, lol. They're having a healthy, MFP-allowable debate. Discussion does NOT equal an argument. If it does, the mods step in (as they have before) and will handle it. No need to get all worked up over nothing! If this upsets you so much... ignore it and skip through to a different thread! :tongue:

Frankly, I'm not brave enough to get involved, but as someone who's interested in learning about it, these discussions are a GREAT, fast, efficient way to learn the main points, pros/cons, and see evidence presented by both sides. Please let the rest of us enjoy this thread. Thank you! :smile:

I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to vent and say whatever I feel just like everyone else is!

Except you are attacking the person while others are attacking the ideas. There is a difference.

nope, I'm pretty sure I said "people" and don't see anywhere where i insulted the op. just venting about all the "hate" threads lately on paleo/primal/low carb eating.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options

Relax, lol. They're having a healthy, MFP-allowable debate. Discussion does NOT equal an argument. If it does, the mods step in (as they have before) and will handle it. No need to get all worked up over nothing! If this upsets you so much... ignore it and skip through to a different thread! :tongue:

Frankly, I'm not brave enough to get involved, but as someone who's interested in learning about it, these discussions are a GREAT, fast, efficient way to learn the main points, pros/cons, and see evidence presented by both sides. Please let the rest of us enjoy this thread. Thank you! :smile:

I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to vent and say whatever I feel just like everyone else is!

Except you are attacking the person while others are attacking the ideas. There is a difference.

nope, I'm pretty sure I said "people" and don't see anywhere where i insulted the op. just venting about all the "hate" threads lately on paleo/primal/low carb eating.

Even if you claim that you are not attacking a particular poster, which is a rather dubious claim given the evidence, you are certainly attacking the posters in the thread. You call what they post crap. You say they are hating on others lifestyle choices. You shay that they hate on people for eating clean natural occurring foods. You misrepresent what they say acting as if they say don't eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy meats.

When you are attacking an idea you talk about the idea. This is what the original poster did. When you attack a person you talk about the people. That is what you did.
  • MissKim
    Options

I agree. I don't understand why people are so concerned in trying to prove other's diets to be wrong? Any diet can and may work great for some people, but not for others. Just because Paleo isn't ideal for you doesn't mean it isn't ideal for others. Some people just need to get off their high horses and get over it.

Agreed. Any time the witch hunters see "Paleo" they get up in arms and HAVE to jump on these threads to "show us" and act like they actually KNOW something.

To each their own. If they aren't in agreement with the Paleo way of eating, ignore the thread, and look for ones that say "carboholics" and join that one.

yep, exactly
  • MissKim
    Options

Even if you claim that you are not attacking a particular poster, which is a rather dubious claim given the evidence, you are certainly attacking the posters in the thread. You call what they post crap. You say they are hating on others lifestyle choices. You shay that they hate on people for eating clean natural occurring foods. You misrepresent what they say acting as if they say don't eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy meats.

When you are attacking an idea you talk about the idea. This is what the original poster did. When you attack a person you talk about the people. That is what you did.

guess that's your opinion, just like I have mine! but unlike 'people" who post threads just to specifically bash someone else's ideals, I'll respect your opinion.
  • BryanAir
    Options

guess that's your opinion, just like I have mine! but unlike 'people" who post threads just to specifically bash someone else's ideals, I'll respect your opinion.

People are entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to their own facts. The fact is that you started off your attack by saying "OMG! Really? posting that crap in the other thread wasn't enough for you???". The fact is you called what the op is posting crap. That is a personal attack and really has no place on a civilized message board. It is sad that you don't see that.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Bump for sure:smile:
  • MissKim
    Options

People are entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to their own facts. The fact is that you started off your attack by saying "OMG! Really? posting that crap in the other thread wasn't enough for you???". The fact is you called what the op is posting crap. That is a personal attack and really has no place on a civilized message board. It is sad that you don't see that.

LOL, so what your saying is that me calling something crap isn't an opinion??? really??? I'm pretty sure me thinking something is crap is my opinion! I didn't supply any scientific evidence for my "opinion". and the reason i was so upset, was b/c he had just posted that exact same thing in another thread talking about paleo lifestyle. If I posted a thread and called it "low fat dieters" and then proceeded to bash people that choose to eat low fat as a means of losing weight i would expect some people to comment that my thread was crap. and i would be okay with that, b/c that would be their "opinion", and I would respect that. and i'm pretty sure i was talking about his "post" not him personally. even though you mentioned earlier that i was attacking him, nope, not him, just didn't like his bashing of the lifestyle choice that i choose to follow. Have a nice day :)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

LOL, so what your saying is that me calling something crap isn't an opinion??? really??? I'm pretty sure me thinking something is crap is my opinion! I didn't supply any scientific evidence for my "opinion". and the reason i was so upset, was b/c he had just posted that exact same thing in another thread talking about paleo lifestyle. If I posted a thread and called it "low fat dieters" and then proceeded to bash people that choose to eat low fat as a means of losing weight i would expect some people to comment that my thread was crap. and i would be okay with that, b/c that would be their "opinion", and I would respect that. and i'm pretty sure i was talking about his "post" not him personally. even though you mentioned earlier that i was attacking him, nope, not him, just didn't like his bashing of the lifestyle choice that i choose to follow. Have a nice day :)

Here, here MissKim. Why can't people just give it a rest!
  • BryanAir
    Options

Nice strawman. That is not what I am saying. I am saying that posting "OMG! Really? posting that crap in the other thread wasn't enough for you???" is attacking the op and not the idea. You then said that you were talking in general, so I said you can have your own opinion but not your own facts. You then admit that you were talking specifically about the OP because he has the temerity to post in another thread.

Now you say he is bashing a lifestyle choice, but posting scientific articles is not bashing a lifestyle choice.

If you were to post an topic with peer reviewed articles saying that a low fat diet was bad I would argue against people telling you to stop or what you were posting is crap.

Finally, posting informative articles is no way bashing people who are living a particular lifestyle. I also see people accusing others of bashing for asking questions. Spreading knowledge and asking questions is not bashing. Saying someone is posting crap is bashing. Again, the difference is between disputing an idea and attacking a person.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Now you say he is bashing a lifestyle choice, but posting scientific articles is not bashing a lifestyle choice.

It is when you misrepresent what the article said.

ANd really she did not say the op is crap, (that is another subject altogether :smile: ) She said the stuff he was posting is crap. Now if the op had done the research himself and she called it crap, that might be a different story.
  • BryanAir
    Options

ANd really she did not say the op is crap, (that is another subject altogether :smile: ) She said the stuff he was posting is crap. Now if the op had done the research himself and she called it crap, that might be a different story.

Do you honestly think she was arguing against the OP posting bad science or do you think she was telling him that she shouldn't be posting something against paleo? Usually when you are arguing against bad science you post rebuttal science, you don't post a strawman of what the op posted such as : "let's hate on a group of people that eat only clean natural occuring foods!!! please no, don't eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy meats!!! "
  • freerange
    Options

Do you honestly think she was arguing against the OP posting bad science or do you think she was telling him that she shouldn't be posting something against paleo? Usually when you are arguing against bad science you post rebuttal science, you don't post a strawman of what the op posted such as : "let's hate on a group of people that eat only clean natural occuring foods!!! please no, don't eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy meats!!! "

She was telling him she is tired of him posting against Paleo, and what he posted is crap.
  • BryanAir
    Options

She was telling him she is tired of him posting against Paleo, and what he posted is crap.

I've seen you rail against strawmen in other threads. Why are you okay with her strawman misrepresentation of the op? Personally I am against strawmen and ad hominem in all discussions. I'm not even anti paleo, although I have had more than one accuse me of being so because I explained why someone would post against a diet they feel is unhealthy. I am against people claiming that the posting of facts or the asking of questions is somehow an attack against them. I also feel that if someone posts a new post asking questions it is okay for both sides to post their views without being called names by the other.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna eat whatever the hell way I think is right for me, my doctor thinks is right for me, and what makes me feel best!! And that is PALEO....and if someone can't stand that...they can pound sand!! :flowerforyou:

That is all I am adding to this at this point..
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    And I do wish everyone the best of luck on their journey to better health REGARDLESS of what diet/lifestyle they follow. :smile:
  • freerange
    Options

I've seen you rail against strawmen in other threads. Why are you okay with her strawman misrepresentation of the op? Personally I am against strawmen and ad hominem in all discussions. I'm not even anti paleo, although I have had more than one accuse me of being so because I explained why someone would post against a diet they feel is unhealthy. I am against people claiming that the posting of facts or the asking of questions is somehow an attack against them. I also feel that if someone posts a new post asking questions it is okay for both sides to post their views without being called names by the other.

Her original post was not a strawman, you , I , she and anyone following these threads know why the OP posted what he did.
  • SOLSTICE62
    SOLSTICE62 Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump :love:
  • MissKim
    Options
    Really Cheryl?? lol...