Anyone with PCOS?

Options
Hi all,
I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) about 6 months ago and I need to lose weight in order to control my symptoms. Unfortunately, it's difficult to lose weight with this condition and was wondering if there's any other females out there with PCOS who has had any success.

-Yolonda

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Yes there are (but not me). Come over to the Fit For Future Families group - there's quite a few! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206590-fit-for-future-families-april-2011?page=11
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed over 10 years ago with it. It is hard to lose weight, but if you exercise and watch carbs ( i try to eat healthy ones) you can be successful! Add me as a friend if you want. I completely understand what you are going through...It's hard.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through. I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism and it is SO hard to lose weight :( Feel free to add me too!
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I am living and losing with PCOS. It took me awhile to get with the program. As you said it can be very difficult, and it seemed like such a long road I would get discouraged rather quickly. I am on Metformin and Spironolactone, have lost about 40 lbs. in the last 3 months, and am seeing my symptoms disappear.
  • YolondaNicole
    Options
    Thanks ladies . . . I will definitely add you all :smile: I've joined a few "cysters" sites but ever since I've joined MFP, I feel like there's no room for "can't" anymore. I the pounds are coming off slowly, I just need to stay encouraged.
  • YolondaNicole
    Options
    @HungryMom . . . Wow! 40 in 3 months!! I hope that works for me. Heck, I'd even take 20! I just started Metformin and it is brutal, but hopefully it will get better. I asked for spiro, but the doc wouldn't prescribe it. I'm convinced they're just control freaks, but I'm trying to stay positive. Congrats on your accomplishment.
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I am losing slowly but losing! It has taken many attempts but I feel great in everyway since joining this site! Good luck in your journey!
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity what are the symptoms of PCOS and how were you diagnosed? I have had docs kind of cycle around diagnosis' for me but nothing yet. They once mentioned PCOS but nothing since.
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was diagnosed with PCOS ten years ago. About six months after being diagonosed, my doctor told me it was important that I lose weight (I was overweight), otherwise I could have heart disease within the next ten years. I started watching what I ate, mostly just cut out diet pop, most junk food, and I quit eating so much pasta. I ate about 2000 calories a day, with no exercise, in order to lose the first 30 lbs, then I lowered it to 1700 calories a day, with no exercise, to lose the next ten. Once I started doing the elliptical for 35 minutes 4-5x a week and lowering my calories to 1600, I was able to lose all the weight I wanted, and I'm now at maintenance weight. I still don't eat processed foods, diet pop, or junk food. I eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains (to keep blood sugar in check).

So, although I have developed hypogleicemia due to PCOS, I've been able to keep it under control by watching what I eat. It's been ten years and I have no heart disease or diabetes to speak of. I'm also 53 lbs. lighter. The only meds I take are Lo-Esterin to keep my periods in check. I still have some symptoms, but overall the pain and acne has lessened.

So, you CAN lose the weight, and you CAN keep your symptoms under control. It won't happen overnight, and it'll take some time before you start to feel better, but you CAN do this for your body and for your health! It just takes a little work.
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some symptoms include:
    Spotty or erratic periods
    Double or missed periods
    Unusual pain during ovulation and during period (like, excessive cramping!)
    Acne
    Thinning hair
    Facial hair and/or thickened hair on arms or stomach
    Possible infertility or difficulty getting pregnant
    Sufferers are usually heavy or overweight

To get a full diagnosis with me (in addition to the obvious above symptoms), my doctor just perfomed a simple sonagram. You could see a bunch of cysts, just hanging out in my ovaries. That was the clincher. I had PCOS. I also had weird blood work.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Some symptoms include:
    Spotty or erratic periods
    Double or missed periods
    Unusual pain during ovulation and during period (like, excessive cramping!)
    Acne
    Thinning hair
    Facial hair and/or thickened hair on arms or stomach
    Possible infertility or difficulty getting pregnant
    Sufferers are usually heavy or overweight

To get a full diagnosis with me (in addition to the obvious above symptoms), my doctor just perfomed a simple sonagram. You could see a bunch of cysts, just hanging out in my ovaries. That was the clincher. I had PCOS. I also had weird blood work.

Well i've had numerous issues, lots undiagnosed or waved off as stress or me being insane. I've had a 4 year absence of a peroid, a 277 day absence, and I had to be put on Birth Control to regulate my low estrogen and periods. I have had a sono in 2004 with cycts, but my doc said that is normal and people just have them. Ontop of that my hair has thinned, but my mom says its genetic and points to hers, like - "really mom? that's nothing"
    Also in 2008 I had low blood sugars(not diabetic or anything) and was hospitalized for a week with numerous blood tests being sent out for possible hypoglycemia, but still they came back normal.

SO I dunno... Lol.

I dunno, could be a whack of similarities but my doc keeps thinking im crazier with every visit, lol

Thanks for answering me though. Appreciate it.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I just started Metformin and it is brutal, but hopefully it will get better.

It does! Is your doctor slowly increasing your dosage? I would have trouble when I missed a day or two and stop taking it completely. Of course that meant starting all-over again, ugh. I think once the meds began regulating my hormones my body really responded to the diet and exercise change. You can do this!
  • ivygirl11
    ivygirl11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I too am suffering with PCOS :( I was diagnosed with it in 2005 but i am sure i have had the symptoms for much longer. I am looking for all of the support i can get, I always have questions, I have slacked and not educated myself as much as i should have all of these years...

Feel free to add me as a friend any of you. Like i said i could really use the support.
  • zasmm
    zasmm Posts: 4
    Options
    I have PCOS too - diagnosed a few months ago but knew I had it before then. Anyone with PCOS - feel free to add me!
  • Diet_Hell
    Diet_Hell Posts: 34
    Options
    You can add me to the PCOS list.

Diagnosed back in 2003. Tried Metformin, but it didn't agree with me.

Had lazor treatment for hair removal, as it was really getting me down, best thing I ever did.

Now it's time for the weight to go, I know it will take a bit longer than the average person, but I will get there.

Feel free to add me :o)
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I also unfortunately have PCOS. Like other users who have posted, I take Metformin. I suffer from the extreme side of the symptoms, but loosing weight, even just a small ammount, was so noticeable that I don't want to give up! I have had PCOS for 8 years now. I suffer from the irregular, heavy periods, the hair thinning, the acne, the weight gain. I have also unfortunately had several cysts rupture! I'd love any and all support!
  • motherofjade
    Options
    I have PCOS too!

Metformin has been a life saver to me and it's the only way i was able to loose weight. But I also have a underactive thyroid so being on meds for that has helped as well.

I've been on Metformin for a year now, and I still get the nasty side effect of diareaha EVERY DAY! I know gross but I'm sure all of you have experienced it too lol. It's worth being able to loose weight for me though.

Just curious if you don't mind me asking, what amount of metformin did everyone's doctor prescribe them? I only ask cause i know of some people that are on it at such a low does that's it's not doing what it's supposed to.

I take 500mg 3 times a day. Anything less then that and I can't loose weight.
  • distant_dreamer
    Options
    hi i have it too :( makes it so hard to lose the weight but am realising it not impossible!

feel free to add me too if u want xx
  • lolareina
    lolareina Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In Feb 2011 I went to my Dr because we are having trouble getting pregnant. They did blood work and a sono and said I had PCOS. My Dr said for me to try and loose weight about 30 lbs or more if possible or I could try metformin to help. I thought I could do it on my own but now im thinking I may need something to help. I dont want to use fertility drugs but that would be the next step in us being able to get pregnant.
  • motherofjade
    Options
    @lolareina I have some friends that take Metformin to help with the symptoms and they have had good success with getting pregnant :)

I would try the metformin before the fertility drugs. Just my opinion :)