Question.... mostly for the guys...

Options
I am stumped at how the heck to get my dearly beloved hubby on here. We both quit smoking together ( first time I have been successfull at it so far) and now we are "dieting" and eating healthier together but he gets fustrated that he is not losing nay weight, I keep telling him he shold try logging and he may be supprised at how much he was really eating but he says " to much of a hassle" grrrr I just want to pull my hair out..... he has a history of heart disease in his family and with his high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and being 50# over weight well I want him around for a long long time, he jokes that it is my fault that if i didnt cook so good h wouldnt have to eat so much LOL Men :bigsmile:

Any sugestions guys ????

Replies

• Shellie1069
    Options
    I am stumped at how the heck to get my dearly beloved hubby on here. We both quit smoking together ( first time I have been successfull at it so far) and now we are "dieting" and eating healthier together but he gets fustrated that he is not losing nay weight, I keep telling him he shold try logging and he may be supprised at how much he was really eating but he says " to much of a hassle" grrrr I just want to pull my hair out..... he has a history of heart disease in his family and with his high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and being 50# over weight well I want him around for a long long time, he jokes that it is my fault that if i didnt cook so good h wouldnt have to eat so much LOL Men :bigsmile:

Any sugestions guys ????
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Try to keep track of it for him some day. He just might be surprised when he sees the numbers. I was. I thought I was kicking butt with my dieting but wasn't getting anywhere. The first time I saw the cold hard numbers I realized I wasn't anywhere NEAR where I should be! And then if you show him how quick and painless it is...but of course, if he is anything like me (umm, a little stubborn)...GOOD LUCK!
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    Keep a log for him for one day and then print it out and show him how he is going over and explain to him how much better he would do with his loss if he were to keep track on his own.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Shellie,
    I'm gonna turn this one over to my sweet thing, Jamerz. We're in this together and yes, it really helps! Like today, we biked , then decided that ice cream REALLY sounded good ('sides we "earned" extra calories:happy: ) BUT here's the 'sweet' part, we SHARED the small cone, instead of each having one. It was enough.....yeah! Now we gotta get back to sharing restaurant meals, so many of them are huge! But I'll see if he can help with getting your hubby into our funny farm family!

((:laugh: :tongue: :noway: :love: :ohwell: :bigsmile: ))
    Ezzie
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I would just start by including him in your exercise, maybe try some new things together. Also from your comments it sounds as if are a good cook. Prepare light heathy meals at home. He will come around when you have some results.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Men, can't really tell them what to do...it seems others think you should log his calories for him; however, I disagree. You may set a precendent, and have to keep track of his calories indefinately (in addition to your own). Do you really want to "nag" him about the exactness of his exercise and calories every single day?

I am not trying to be negative or disuade you from y'all's journey to lead a more healthy lifestyle. I have been trying to get my boyfriend on this website (from what you said of your husband sounds so familiar). I think one of these days he may come around as I have, finally, convinced him he needs to eat more when he exercises (he goes to the gym daily, for 2hrs). Yeah me! That felt like a victory!

Baby steps. Men.

Good Luck
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heya Shellie, good for you gurl! YOU are doing something that DOES make a difference!
    And yes, we Y chromosone carriers are probably more stubborn that you wonderful wimmens about thinking that we can just *mysteriously* lose the weight. Like we can think it off. After all, it's our right as guys, hrmpfh, pfriddle, woozah.

The *reality* of it is, that unless he's also willing to WORK to do this, you are on your own. Sorry, but that's the truth. Honestly, I have also thought that I could easily and simply control my caloric intake without ANYTHING to guide me. Hey, I don't need that, that's for weaklings. Reality is that yes, EVERYBODY needs to have the proper information in order to gain control over *whatever* aspect of their lives. We guys are simply much more stubborn about it.... but hey, we come by it honestly, being driven by testosterone and all. Sooooo.... my sugesstion is that you CHALLENGE him (in a positive, non threatening way) to trak his caloric intake, AND output for just one day! You will need to be able to moniter BOTH! Sure, he can track what he takes in, but does he have the tools (Heart Rate Moniter) to track the calories he burns? I can guarantee that he won't believe one without the other! None of us guys do! It's like we guys are all still stuck in Teenage Wasteland where we could do nothing, and eat and drink everything we want, and still be stud muffins. So ya gotta show him *both* sides of the coin. But better yet, ask him to show himself that very same coin. If he's honest with himself, and also truly devoted to losing weight (he very well may not be) then he could see for himself, just exactly what he is doing! But plz be careful, we guys tend to have a rather shallow ego when it comes to some things.
    Good luck, and give him lots of love... and hugz to you as well.
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options
    I run into this problem a lot coulpes come into train and get in shape and one drops out. It's really hard to keep them both motivated, men responed real well to weight thaining he doesn't have to join a gym a set of dumb-bells and you can do a whole body workout. I would not keep track for him but like others said If you make the food in the house cut back on how much you make and only keep healthy snacks around the house
  • Shellie1069
    Options
    I will give him credit he is trying .. he does watch what eats and not just as he puts it from his plate to his mouth .. LOL he has made some progress I can get him to eat the "green stuff" as long as i season it good and he can't really taste it. He works in retail and there fore one his feet running around for 8 hours a day but ... he gets fustrated that the scale is going the wrong way one day it will show a 5-10 pound loss and I'll be so envious I want to strangle him and the next day he will have gained 5 pounds more than where he started... I tell him if he just tried to keep track he'd be suprised.. but , not so easily done.. well I guess when he is ready he will until then I'll just keep healthy food around, we will try to stay away from the junk food, ... thanks for all the many sugestions

I think I may try logging for him a little set him up an account and see what becomes of it... other wise... :ohwell: All I can do is Love him as much or more than i do now.. which is a lot, he is not only my hubby but my best friend.
    we are one of those strange couples that likes to hang out together.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    I will give him credit he is trying .. he does watch what eats and not just as he puts it from his plate to his mouth .. LOL he has made some progress I can get him to eat the "green stuff" as long as i season it good and he can't really taste it. He works in retail and there fore one his feet running around for 8 hours a day but ... he gets fustrated that the scale is going the wrong way one day it will show a 5-10 pound loss and I'll be so envious I want to strangle him and the next day he will have gained 5 pounds more than where he started... I tell him if he just tried to keep track he'd be suprised.. but , not so easily done.. well I guess when he is ready he will until then I'll just keep healthy food around, we will try to stay away from the junk food, ... thanks for all the many sugestions

I think I may try logging for him a little set him up an account and see what becomes of it... other wise... :ohwell: All I can do is Love him as much or more than i do now.. which is a lot, he is not only my hubby but my best friend.
    we are one of those strange couples that likes to hang out together.

as alot have said before log one day for him and show him the numbers, also as far as the bouncing back and forth, make sure you have a decent scale that will give you accurate measurements, i was reading a lot before getting a scale, and alot of them had bad reviews because the accuracy was way off. otherwise good luck he is a male and we tend not to be told we need to do something- gotta find a way to make him think it was his idea lol
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I will second the NOT logging for him.. I know I wouldn't like it if my hubby did that for me.. sounds odd but to me would be betrayal. You can log yours and show him how you keep track but honestly, it is motivation for him not you.

Also second the idea: if you cook the meals and provide the snacks (food shopping) then that is where your help comes in. He has to do this for himself.. and if he's not exercising it could be tough - i know that's how my hubby gets his motivation (weights/cardio).

Good luck - after a while he might even grow to LIKE greens (my husband now eat brocolli regularly - prior to our marriage nothing but corn!)! Good LUCK:happy:
  • Shellie1069
    Options
    We are successful, I have gotten him to agree to let me put him on here and I have agreed to help him logg and he has agreed to try and do it tooo.

He is Tim0957:heart:

Let's see if it works....

:happy: :drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    shellie,

I'm of the belief that nobody can push you into it. If he doesn't want to then he doesn't want too. My wife has been counting calories for years, and she has asked me to do it in the past. I never did until I had my breaking point moment. For me, that was what it took to start really working hard. It's ok to talk to him about it, but once you give him the info, I don't think continuing to ask or push him towards it will help. That's just me, as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water..."

a lot of this path is about having the willpower to do it. He may just not be in that place yet, and if he isn't, nothing you can say will change that, nor should it.