can't exercise for 3 months.... big problem now

Options
2»

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    ohh ok yeah i find it hard to get the right amount of protein in my diet but i will try to do it

Eat some steak.
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    ohh ok yeah i find it hard to get the right amount of protein in my diet but i will try to do it

Eat some steak.

i ABSOLUTELY LOVE STEAK i eat it a lot but not recently though.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It might not be as bad as you think. Look at it as an opportunity to switch things up and keep your body guessing. Eat food which packs the most punch with nutrition. It will help your body heal much faster and catch it off guard. Opt out of eating anything processed and look for more whole, real foods. You won't eat near as many calories and those you do consume will be much healthier for you. :wink:

I could not exercise for 8 weeks at all due to a stress fracture in my foot. Nothing like you're going through but I was in my late 40's at the time so trust me, my metabolism was not at it's peak! However, I was very careful about eating healthy, wholesome foods. I didn't gain a single ounce during those 8 weeks. I let my body heal because if I didn't, I would be sidelined for even longer! I had knee surgery last summer and despite my worries, I didn't gain then either!

Take this time and look at it as an opportunity to learn something new. If you can't exercise your body, exercise your mind. Read a new book, learn a new hobby, etc. Make it a productive time and think about what you can do, not what you can't.

Trust me-the first two weeks of inactivity are the worst. After that, it does get easier! Take care of yourself-you deserve it!
  • RichGebs
    Options
    It might not be as bad as you think. Look at it as an opportunity to switch things up and keep your body guessing. Eat food which packs the most punch with nutrition. It will help your body heal much faster and catch it off guard. Opt out of eating anything processed and look for more whole, real foods. You won't eat near as many calories and those you do consume will be much healthier for you. :wink:

I could not exercise for 8 weeks at all due to a stress fracture in my foot. Nothing like you're going through but I was in my late 40's at the time so trust me, my metabolism was not at it's peak! However, I was very careful about eating healthy, wholesome foods. I didn't gain a single ounce during those 8 weeks. I let my body heal because if I didn't, I would be sidelined for even longer! I had knee surgery last summer and despite my worries, I didn't gain then either!

Take this time and look at it as an opportunity to learn something new. If you can't exercise your body, exercise your mind. Read a new book, learn a new hobby, etc. Make it a productive time and think about what you can do, not what you can't.

Trust me-the first two weeks of inactivity are the worst. After that, it does get easier! Take care of yourself-you deserve it!

thank you i agree so much. it doesnt even hurt as bad as it did yesterday. i am going to go to the doctors again ssoon to see if it was diagnosed correctly because i dont think it was
  • RichGebs
    Options
  • RichGebs
    Options
    bump
  • RichGebs
    Options
  • RichGebs
    Options
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do something. You just have to isolate your affected knee. At the very least you can walk with crutches, as long as you keep your knee immobilized as ordered. Crutch walking is an incredible workout for upper body, especially triceps! I am currently recovering from knee/back surgery. I only recently got cleared to begin walking and bicycling, but I'm doing what I can. You can do this, do NOT starve yourself, it will actually impede the recovery of your knee. I've lived through a number of knee and leg injuries and I promise you can do more than you think you can!! I've got your back!!

Ted
  • RichGebs
    Options
    thanks Ted!!! great advice
  • RichGebs
    Options
  • jaysnead
    jaysnead Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is the secret to not gaining weight during this time. Eat 80% Vegtables, Beans, legumes & fruits. (50% raw and 50% cooked of the 80%). The last 15-20% can be nuts and some meat. Make your Vegtables primarily Crucifierous (Greens, Broccoli, Cauliflower, spinach etc.) Fruits should be strawberries, blueberries, apples, No more than 1 banana a day, and only one ounce of raw unsalted nuts a day of your choice. The learn more read the book by Dr. Joel fuhrman-Eat to LIve. His website is www.drfuhrman.com
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    Don't discount the protein shakes and powders. For getting your daily protein, those can be a real help, especially when it comes to keeping weight on without gaining. I agree with some of the other posters - with your metabolic and gastrointestinal issues, it is Highly recommended that you seek professional advice for your nutritional needs. A nutritionalist or dietician should be able to take your medical needs into account when helping you to plan a healthy diet that provides the correct amount of protein and vitamins to help you maintain a healthy weight with and without additional activity. Hope everything goes well, and that, whatever the issue, you have a speedy recovery!
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Don't discount the protein shakes and powders. For getting your daily protein, those can be a real help, especially when it comes to keeping weight on without gaining. I agree with some of the other posters - with your metabolic and gastrointestinal issues, it is Highly recommended that you seek professional advice for your nutritional needs. A nutritionalist or dietician should be able to take your medical needs into account when helping you to plan a healthy diet that provides the correct amount of protein and vitamins to help you maintain a healthy weight with and without additional activity. Hope everything goes well, and that, whatever the issue, you have a speedy recovery!

thank you so much and yes i agree with what everyone is saying as well
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Bump
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    How is the knee doing today?
  • Umrt54
    Umrt54 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling pal. I am having shoulder surgery next week. Also minimal movement per doctor's orders. I am just getting started with this and don't want any setbacks. Keep your head up.