Potato Bhaji

Options
jlwhelan1
jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
My family LOVES these potatoes. I usually make the spinach bhaji, fried cabbage, and the potato bhaji for a meal. I have posted these other recipes earlier today.

From Flavors of India by Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff

4 medium sized potatoes (about 2 pounds)
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 lemon juiced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves or 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water until they are tender but not too soft. Remove the potatoes from the water and allow them to cool until they can be handled by hand. When cool, peel the skin off and cut into large sections of about 2 inches long. Place the potato pieces in a dish or bowl and set to one side.

Add the oil to a medium size saucepot and heat over a moderate temperature. Add the mustard seeds, chopped onion and minced garlic. When the onions have all browned, add the boiled potato pieces, tumeric and salt. With a wooden spoon stir the ingredients in the pot until they are well blended together. Reduce the heat to a low setting and add the rest of the spices (except for the cilantro leaves), while you continue stirring the mixture for a few more minutes. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring up the pot occasionally to reduce the chance of any burning. After this time if the potatoes are still uncooked add 2 tablespoons of water and cook a little longer until the potatoes are soft. Do not add more water or the potatoes will become soupy. Turn off the heat and mix in the lemon juice. Top with fresh cilantro leaves and serve.
Serves four.

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    Options
    My family LOVES these potatoes. I usually make the spinach bhaji, fried cabbage, and the potato bhaji for a meal. I have posted these other recipes earlier today.

From Flavors of India by Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff

4 medium sized potatoes (about 2 pounds)
    3 tablespoons oil
    1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
    salt to taste
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 lemon juiced
    2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves or 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water until they are tender but not too soft. Remove the potatoes from the water and allow them to cool until they can be handled by hand. When cool, peel the skin off and cut into large sections of about 2 inches long. Place the potato pieces in a dish or bowl and set to one side.

Add the oil to a medium size saucepot and heat over a moderate temperature. Add the mustard seeds, chopped onion and minced garlic. When the onions have all browned, add the boiled potato pieces, tumeric and salt. With a wooden spoon stir the ingredients in the pot until they are well blended together. Reduce the heat to a low setting and add the rest of the spices (except for the cilantro leaves), while you continue stirring the mixture for a few more minutes. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring up the pot occasionally to reduce the chance of any burning. After this time if the potatoes are still uncooked add 2 tablespoons of water and cook a little longer until the potatoes are soft. Do not add more water or the potatoes will become soupy. Turn off the heat and mix in the lemon juice. Top with fresh cilantro leaves and serve.
    Serves four.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! I LOVE potato bhaji but never looked up a recipe.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! I LOVE potato bhaji but never looked up a recipe.

You are welcome. I hope it is the way you like it.:smile:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    For connieq288.