NITE TIME/ SHIFT EATING

Options
HELLO EVERY ONE. NEW TO THE SITE AND LOOKING FOR SOME POINTERS. I WORK NITE SHIFT 6 AT NITE TO 6 IN THE MORNING AS A DEPUTY SHERIFF AND HAVE TO EAT WHEN I CAN. MOST OF THE TIME VERY QUICKLY. JUST GETTING BACK INTO THE HEALTHY LIFESTYLE AND HAVE FORGOT WHATS GOOD FOR YOU. I AM WORKING IN THE COUNTY JAIL RITE NOW SO THEIR ARE NO STORES AND POLICY ONLY ALLOWS VERY SMALL COOLERS. ANY TIPS ON QUICK FILLING HEALTHY SNACKS WOULD BE HELPFUL. I'M LIFTING THE WEIGHTS AGAIN AND TRY TO EAT EVERY THREE HOURS. U CAN ONLY EAT JUST SO MANY FRUITS AND VEGTABLES IN A NITE WITH OUT HAVING TO TAKE OFF ALOT OF EQUIPMENT : ) (SORRY BUT PART OF LIFE) AND THE NUTRITION BARS I HAVE FOUND THAT ARE LOW CALORIE TASTE LIKE. WELL U KNOW. ANY IDEAS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK U IN ADVANCE AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERY ONE IN REACHING THIER GOALS.

Replies

• nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    HELLO EVERY ONE. NEW TO THE SITE AND LOOKING FOR SOME POINTERS. I WORK NITE SHIFT 6 AT NITE TO 6 IN THE MORNING AS A DEPUTY SHERIFF AND HAVE TO EAT WHEN I CAN. MOST OF THE TIME VERY QUICKLY. JUST GETTING BACK INTO THE HEALTHY LIFESTYLE AND HAVE FORGOT WHATS GOOD FOR YOU. I AM WORKING IN THE COUNTY JAIL RITE NOW SO THEIR ARE NO STORES AND POLICY ONLY ALLOWS VERY SMALL COOLERS. ANY TIPS ON QUICK FILLING HEALTHY SNACKS WOULD BE HELPFUL. I'M LIFTING THE WEIGHTS AGAIN AND TRY TO EAT EVERY THREE HOURS. U CAN ONLY EAT JUST SO MANY FRUITS AND VEGTABLES IN A NITE WITH OUT HAVING TO TAKE OFF ALOT OF EQUIPMENT : ) (SORRY BUT PART OF LIFE) AND THE NUTRITION BARS I HAVE FOUND THAT ARE LOW CALORIE TASTE LIKE. WELL U KNOW. ANY IDEAS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK U IN ADVANCE AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERY ONE IN REACHING THIER GOALS.
  • clairegl
    clairegl Posts: 82
    Options
    I bring snacks of varying types to work so that I can eat every 3 hours approximately so I'm never too hungry and stay on track.
    I bring pre-measured almonds; pre-cut fruits, clif bars, pb&j on whole wheat; soups; string cheese; salads (target sells great containers) pre-made cottage cheese mixed with some sort of fruit; Kashi cereal bars; eating right 100 calorie bars (caramel is yummy).
    These are just a few of the things I bring to stave off hunger.
    Variety is good for some people, but I'm kind of a creature of habit. I rotate a few items and am satisfied and that's what counts.
    Good luck!
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hey

- You could make a wrap or pita or sandwich (just pick low cal options) and put shaved turkey or low fat chicken or egg or just salad in it (grated carrot, lettuce, baby spinach, tomato, onion, capsicum) , you could put dressing and cheese (low cal of course). Anchovies are pretty low cal and have a salty flavor, I like to chop it up finely and put it in.
    - Salad is good too, prawns or shrimp are good and reasonably low in calories. You can make your own low cal croutons too (recipe below).
    - Low fat yogurt is good, you could even freeze it if you have a freezer at work.
    - You could make soup to take or you could just have canned soup, try get a chunky one because its much more filling than the watery ones. I live in NZ and we have hearty vegetable ones for 100-200 cals and theres a huge range including ones with pasta or rice. Be sure to check each flavour though because some can be considerably higher.
    - Frittata is good, its better to make it with egg whites only. That way you cut most of the calories from the egg out and you fill with vegs like capsicum, mushrooms, tomato, spinach, carrot, zucchini, onions, herbs and you could put shredded ham which is what my mum does or you could put prawns or shrimp which is a lower cal option. Anything can go into this, I have a friend who chucks in any leftovers in it too.
    - Veggie kebabs or stir fry is even good to eat cold, I used to love taking it to school and you can use a low cal sauce or flavor it with anchovies.

Low Calorie Croutons

Note: This recipe is a very healthy version of the crouton, and reduces the sodium dramatically.

5 tablespoons Fleischmann's Fat Free Spread
    5 slices white bread -- see note
    3 teaspoons garlic powder -- see note

Spread 1 tablespoon spread over each slice of bread. Stack bread slices and cut into cubes. Then, sprinkle with garlic powder or other seasoning. Spread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Notes: Dry bread for 1 day in the open. They need to be very dry and stale. Bread cubes may be frozen up to 3 months in the freezer. For the seasoning, basil, oregano, fat-free Parmesan cheese, curry powder, garlic, sage, or thyme may be used instead of the garlic powder.

Serving Suggestion: Serve over top your favorite soup or salad. Recipe makes 24 servings.

Nutrition information per serving:
    Calories: 17
    Protein: 1g
    Carbohdyrate: 3g
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 58mg

Good luck with things!
  • nichols
    Options
    GRET IDEAS. THANK U VERY MUCH.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Welcome friend!!!

My husband loves to bring:

Campbell's soups
    Turkey pepperoni with crackers
    Variety of Salad (using greens chopped the night before and whatever left over meat, chopped on top)
    Wraps (Tortilla stuffed with lettuce and meat from dinner the night before)
    I am now making sure I cook plenty of meats so he can have a healthy left over for the next day.
    I also buy snack pack fruits
    He also keeps snacks in his car and in his desk at work for those week munchie moments.

Good luck with your planning. It can be difficult but you can do it!
  • nichols
    Options
    you all are great. thank you and good luck