mono and exercise?

acasey0123
acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I was recently diagnosed with mono, but I do have a regular appetite (not happy about that) but I was told i cant exercise due to rupturing my spleen but i was wondering if i could take a small light walk so i can burn some calories

Edit: the walks will be like 15 minutes going slowly

Replies

• seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Your best bet is to really ask your doctor about this.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    I would ask your doctor. When I have mono I am beat and all I want to do is sleep.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    I don't know how you even feel up to walking. I couldn't even lift myself up off of the bed without wanting to scream when I had mono. And I specifically remember my doctor saying not to do any form of exercise. Drink lots of fluids and wait till you recover. Your health comes first :flowerforyou:.
  • lcamero2
    lcamero2 Posts: 52
    My advice would also be to ask your doctor. It depends on the severity of your case of mono and how long you have had it.

When you have mono, your spleen becomes swollen and enlarged, putting it at greater risk for rupturing, tearing, or bursting from an injury (ie. contact sports.. a fall while walking)

The risk of having a ruptured spleen (for which, if that occurred, it could threaten your life, and it would have to be surgically removed and you would be placed on daily lifelong medications) is not worth the extra 100-300 calories you may burn from a light walk. You would maybe only lose 0.75 of a lb a week in calories by doing these walks. But with mono, your energy will lower and your appetite will most likely decline.. if you can be very strict with your diet and eat healthily until your doctor ok's you for exercise, you should be able to lose weight or at least maintain it. (most people I know with mono lose weight due to low appetite and little energy).

(Nursing student)
  • I honestly don't even know if you should be walking. When I had mono, it knocked all the energy out of me and I basically had to lay back down after walking up a flight of stairs....it really does do a number on your body, so probably best to wait until you are better to even be thinking about exercising. Definitely focus on resting:) Your appetite will more than likely decline to nothing as the mono progresses to, so your body will be even weaker.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    uh, i had mono when i was in my early twenties, about 21. it took a while before my doc tested me for it because they kept thinking it was something else, a virus, cold, etc... i was a bartender and worked almost the whole time. i was so tired but kept working. so i was walking alot. no spleen rupture for me! feel better, i feel your pain!!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Listen to your doc like everyone else said and avoid working out, even for small walks.

Maybe use an appitite surpressant to keep from getting hungry? Better yet, eat foods higher in protien and fiber, lots of complex carbs. It takes longer to break down and you feel fuller longer.

Get better soon.:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.