Butter

Options
Hi, i tend to have wholegrain toast for breakfast, but can't eat it dry. Now i'm really not keen on fake spreads as they appear to have so many chemicals. So instead i have real butter.

My question is to do with the amount, i literally have the thinnest layer possible so just to moisten the toast and add a tiny bit of flavour. So how do i calculate this on my food diary? It's such a thin amount i don't think it would actually register on my scales!

Or should i just not worry about it?

Replies

• Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/0/2

that's for '1 pat' so if it's smaller then that cut it in half?
  • BeeHummingbird
    Options
    Yes I too also love butter, but have move onto nuttelex its a great product with so many great benefits
    http://www.nuttelex.com.au/nuttelex-lite/
    it was recommended by Michelle Bridges from the Australian Biggest Loser ........
    I'm also a fan of Olive lite butter, I love the taste of both these products , although if you are using olive butter in mash don't.
    But if I do have butter in my fridge I always purchase the lite version.
    I guess its like anything you will get use to it and so far I don t have a problem with both of these products.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP standard size of a tablespoonful spread thinly across two pieces of toast, so you could half that. I'd definitely bother to log it, you'd be surprised how the little things add up.

Personally, I think it's a healthier to indulge in a limited amount of butter (while recognising that it IS an indulgence) than its low-fact equivalents which are full of additives.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    ok there are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon and in most cases that how the nutritional values are listed on the package. using a measuring spoon, measure out 1 teaspoon of butter and see if that the amount you use. if you need more, measure out another teaspoon, etc., etc., etc.

when you figure out how much you use you can log it as listed below if the packaging is listed as 1 tablespoon for a serving amount:

1 teaspoon = .33
    2 teaspoon = .67
    3 teaspoon = 1
    4 teaspoon = 1.33
    5 teaspoon = 1.67
    6 teaspoon = 2

i don't think you will use more than 2 teaspoons but just in case you have more than 1 piece of toast at a time.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    just count it as 20-30 cals
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help :D
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You may already be doing this, but have you tried the Land O'Lakes whipped butter? I use that because it's half the calories of stick butter, but it's still just butter. And it's more spreadable.

BTW, I normally don't mind getting store brand for most items, but I noticed that my local supermarket version of this (Publix) has 70 cals/tbsp vs. LoL's 50! So I pay more for the real brand. That way, I can use a little more, for fewer cals! :smile: I tried the olive oil "butter", too. It's great! But more cals, etc than the real stuff. So, I figured just eat a little cholesterol (I'm vegetarian anyway) and enjoy what you really want.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    theres quite a few spreads that arent full of chemicals, but have a lot less saturated fat and therefore calories than butter. It might be worth looking into because theyre definitely not all the same Theres some that are just olive oil or vegetable oil based and fairly healthy. Even a thin spread of butter is going to be about 4/5 grams if you weigh your toast before and after, which will probably be a good 50/60 calories.

Saying that, if you love butter and have calories to spare in the day, then go for it. It sure tastes better, although i do prefer a buttery spread and dont mind the odd chemical, especially when its spread so thinly as you say
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Weigh the toast before the butter. Then weigh it after. Do that a few times and you'll get an average that you can use.

Butter is the devil's food. Lots of calories from the worst of fats. However, you might improve things by switching to a lighter version. Some people don't put butter on when they are having another spread on top.

Toast and jam, toast and squished banana, toast and cheese, toast and ham - these can all taste great even without butter.

But it's your choice how you achieve your daily goal. If butter is your only weakness and you can hit the goal, that's fine.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I have to have a wadge of butter on bread. YUM! It's not dreadful, as long as you can spare the calories, it's a brilliant source of vitamin D.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    youd be very surprised how much goes into a thin scraping, especially on hot toast where it quickly melts in
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    I use the whipped butter too.
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I use butter too, for similar reasons. It registers on my scales. I find a thin scrape of butter is about 3g and a good serve of butter is about 5g, you can log it under unsalted butter.