I used to believe

Options
Sonofabiscuit2
Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
So I'm sitting here only two weeks into this new lifestyle, but already so many new ideas and feelings have been developed. I'm wondering how your thoughts on weight loss, exercise, food, your body and life in general have changed. I'll start with a couple of my own beliefs.

I used to believe that a small bag was a single portion every time

I used to believe that my size was a family trait I couldn't overcome

I used to believe eating "healthy" foods meant eating birdfood

I used to believe I couldn't do it

NOT ANYMORE!!!

Replies

• BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi I can relate to that a lot. I thought (sometimes still do) think a small bag isn't worth the time because I would just be hungry again. As for my size yep big boned women in this family... I thought similar that eating healthy was grass and water. I am finding out that I can do it.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I am with you 100% on the popcorn one! It has to be one serving... nope.

I used to believe being healthy meant only eating what's "good" for you, and that I'd be happier not caring. Now, I know that I can still have some of my favorite indulgences, if I am careful about moderation, counting the calories, and going to the gym. Now I know when reach for those Tostitos that I really want them, because I commit another half an hour of cardio to them!

Good luck with your journey; you seem to already be making some really positive steps!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I definitely believed most of those things. Especially about being from a large Family. My sister is STILL mad at me because in one interview that I did I said that I was from a family of "Large Women" and that I believed that it was just 'My Destiny' to be fat all my life. She was offended that I called her Fat:noway: :laugh:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on this!! I used to think that I was never going to be healthy because my parents/grandparents weren't healthy so why should I try!!! I'm not exactly sure when it happened, but I know now that I can be healthy, I can be "thin" and I can live a long, healthy, active life!!!! I will NOT be my mother... I love her, but I don't want her life, and I won't have it! I've already made changes in my body and my mind that will not let me settle for what she has... I want it ALL!!!! I want to be an athlete, a hot mama, and someone that people WANT to be around... for a very long time!!!!
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    I used to believe that i was happy being a little over weight and that nobody noticed.

I used to believe that I could eat lots of treats because I also eat lots of "healthy stuff".

I used to believe that I burned alot more calories than I did.

Now I believe I am fit and healthy.

Now I love my new body and am never letting it go.

Now I enjoy spending time looking after my body through exercise, eating well and looking after my skin, hair and nails :).
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i used to think i had to deprive myself in order to lose weight. i now know that if you are to succeed in a lifestyle change you are to not give up favorite things, just have them in moderation...and that is okay with me.
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    I used to believe that I was simply too young to diet. 22-23 year olds don't need to lose weight, just be more active. Wrong. I definitely needed a nutritional overhaul.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Very nice. I used to believe I didn't have time for the gym.

Nice post.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    So I'm sitting here only two weeks into this new lifestyle, but already so many new ideas and feelings have been developed. I'm wondering how your thoughts on weight loss, exercise, food, your body and life in general have changed. I'll start with a couple of my own beliefs.

I used to believe that a small bag was a single portion every time

I used to believe that my size was a family trait I couldn't overcome

I used to believe eating "healthy" foods meant eating birdfood

I used to believe I couldn't do it

NOT ANYMORE!!!

Very Nice Post!

Many beliefs of mine has changed but I truly believe that I can do this because I am!

I also believe that excuses of putting other's first isn't valid because if I am broken (and trust me I was on many levels) they all suffer. - we all suffer.

I used to believe that I had to do this alone - so not true thanks to MFP and the great pals I have on here.

Those are the 3 biggies.

Again, thanks for this post!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that a jellyfish ate my sunhat when I was two, because that's what my dad told me. A few years ago, I thought about it and thought "Wait a minute! Jellyfish don't eat hats!"

That day, I became an adult.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that I had to finish everything on my plate, even if I was full. Now I've discovered the joy of leftovers. :laugh:
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that a jellyfish ate my sunhat when I was two, because that's what my dad told me. A few years ago, I thought about it and thought "Wait a minute! Jellyfish don't eat hats!"

That day, I became an adult.
    seriously lol'd thanks. Thanks everyone for your posts I like what I'm reading it's motivating.
  • ahartery9891
    ahartery9891 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Very nice. I used to believe I didn't have time for the gym.

Nice post.

I feel you there!! I used to think it was just silly to go to the gym when I could be more productive getting work done.

Now I see that I HAVE to go, or I won't get any work done at all.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that it was more important that my kids ate healthy and got regular exercise and didn't think at all about me.

I used to believe that the quick snacks I ate on the go, didn't amount to much.

I used to believe that my sense of style made me look ok in my clothes, and the extra pounds I was carrying around were well hidden.

This is a big one.

I used to think the salad I was ordering was much better then all of the other high calorie items on the menu.

Yea, the new me sees things much clearer!

M
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that McDonalds used meat in their burgers.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I used to see people running and riding bikes in the spring/summer/fall and think man if I only had a life like that and now I do.