question about knees and running!!

Options
Anyone know anything about knees and running? Have been doing c to 5k, the last 3 times I jogged my knees did this weird thing where they were kind of prone to twisting, for the day following..and kind of uncomfortable, but not really painful. The discomfort is all on the inside part of the kneecap (like, to the side of the kneecap towards the inside of the legs, not the outside, and also a little over the kneecap). The last time I jogged was Saturday, and now it's Wed and they're still not comfortable. Doesn't 'seem' to fit the description of 'runner's knee' but how do I get rid of it?? 5K is less than a month away and I need to get back out there!! Tried contacting the running store but they seem to be closed this week. Anyone??

Replies

• dercolababe
    dercolababe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When did you get new running shoes? It may be worth while to go to a "running" store where they can pick the right shoe for you. I also have this pain. Does it hurt more on down hills? When I get sore, I wil cut back a little bit by running for uphills and flats, then walk downhill. Also, make sure you do a little bit of strengthening- squats for the quads, bridging to work on your hamstrings. Then stretch after your workouts- especially your quadreceps muscles and hamstrings. Also, give yourself a break from flat running. Change up by walking, riding a bike or just running around the yard with the kids. Good luck with your 5k!
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Is there any swelling? Earlier this year I iritated my MCL and had a similar pain to what you are describing. If there's swelling you need to stop running. I would recommend icing it after every workout(swelling or not) and at least one other time a day. Ice it for no longer then 20 minutes at a time. Also do muscle strengthing exerices for quad and hamstring that do not put additional pressure on the knee.

I read about these exercise some were, but I dont have the link.

Quad, Lay on your back. Right leg extended flat on the ground, Left leg, bent at 45 angle. Raise right leg straight off the ground slowly, for 8-10 reps, just using quad muscle. Repeat on left leg, doing 3 set each leg.

Hamstring: Lay on stomach, legs extended. put left foot on back of right ankle. Pull with right hamstring and push slightly with left leg to give you resistance. 8-10 reps. Repeat on left leg, doing 3 sets each leg.

To stengthen outside leg. Lay on your side, legs extended. Raise outside leg 8-10 reps. Rollover and repeat for other side. 8-10 reps, 3 sets each leg.

for MCL(inside leg) This was told to me by a sports medicine trainer. Lay on your side. legs extended. Bring top leg up towards stomach it till 90 degrees with upper body. Raise bottom leg up off ground. do 8-10 reps... Roll over do other side. 3 sets each leg.

Hope that helps, it did for me. If my descriptions aren't clear enough. Message me and I'll try and explain better.
  • _LA_
    _LA_ Posts: 111
    Options
    I bought Acers a week or so before I started walking (which was a week or so before I started adding jogging). I would NOT have been stupid enough to start jogging w/o having a consult w/the owner of the running store - I want to keep my knees!! I tried to call him earlier this week but I think they may be closed for the holiday, I haven't heard back and it's Wed already. I can't really tell i there's swelling..don't knwo about downhill, I've only been using a flat track.
  • _LA_
    Options
    Crap. Looked up MCL and I think that's the prob - feels like that part of the knee and the weird thing about it is the feeling that my knees are more prone to twisting than usual - I don't think it's swollen, but I'jm going to stick to walking tonight and askt eh store about whether I should run with some kind of support or something till I get that stronger (or lose weight or whatever). Pbbt.
  • _LA_
    Options
    Went to the doc (finally!) and he said I have a sprained knee - don't even walk for 10 days. Lots of advil til I can pick up the prescript pain meds today. The advil has done wonders..didn't feel anything the first day on them, now my knees are uncomfortable but not in pain. Have an appt with a knee doc Tues b/c I was less than satisfied with the primary care appt. Plus I have lots of questions - I pickedu p a book by 'the running doc' and he mentions orthotics a lot...with this much weight on my knees I want to make sure I'm not hurting myself with an incorrect stride or something! Maybe the running shoes weren't enough, you know??

LA
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you had to stop running and walking, but that's probably the best thing. Hopefully there's no damage.. Keep us updated and best of luck..