snail speed weight loss...

Options
The first week i lost 3 pounds and i was stoked! The next week i lost one pound and was happy...this week, so far, i haven't lost anything! I don't weigh in until friday, but the scale is moving really slow...now, i have lost some inches measurement wise (1 inch each on waist, hips and thighs) since last week, so i'm pumped about that, but, you know the scale can blind you to success! I'm wondering if i'm not eating right or not exercising enough? I've been training for a 5k, so most of my weekly exercise comes from that...

Replies

• Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I'm in the same boat!
  • bethanna91
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You're losing inches and that is AWESOME!! The scale can be your worst friend. I would definitely stick to watching those inches disappear! Yay you!!
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How's your calories intake vs. output? Are you measuring or just eyeballing portions. My scale isn't moving very fast either, but I'm still noticing the changes. The number on the scale isn't always the best way to see a change. How are your clothes fitting? Don't give up. Don't get discouraged. Good luck to you!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I heard this quote from the program 'The last 10 pounds'...When I get into these kind of mental situations...I always remember this sayin'...

'You didn't gain it overnight - you won't lose it overnight'

Maybe relook over your foods your eatin'...maybe your body is gettin' use to the exercise that you are doin'...

You will get to where you are...I didn't really start losin' until day 30 - 45...really...! best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Everyone will tell you that as long as you're losing inches to ignore the scale, it can be deceiving. If you are losing at least one (inches or weight) then you're not doing anything wrong. Follow your guidelines for MFP and you'll lose. It is SOOOO frustrating though to not see the scale move!!! :) I have always had a "slow to start" metabolism. Even when I do amazingly well with exercise and my food, I've yet to lose more than 1 lb/week. I have to just tell myself that it's 1 lb less than I weighed before, and try to focus on the NSV (non-scale victories) I'm feeling. I'm more energetic than I used to be already, although I've only lost 5 lbs, and I'm feeling better overall.

Keep it up, you're going GREAT!!!!! Add me as a friend if you want some more encouragement. :)

OLP76, it encourages me to know you didn't start to really lose until 30-45 days in...that gives me hope! :) When I've exercised in the past, that's been my experience as well. It takes awhile for my body to "wake up" and that makes it hard to stick with to begin with, but after a month or two it really starts to come off. Still hoping that will happen! :)
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh until Friday how do you know you haven't lost any this week yet? If you are weighing every day and just logging on Fridays then maybe you should stop that. That is why people say to only weigh once a week. You fluctuate so much during a week's time and some of us just can't handle seeing that scale stay the same, or worse go up, in the middle of the week. Wait til Friday and try again hun. Drink lots of water and get any you are retaining out.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Stay off the scale! Absolutely do not weigh yourself through the week, only do it on your weigh day. It will just frustrate you. And just keep doing what you're doing. Did you begin this journey to make a lifestyle change? If so what does it matter how slow it comes off as long as it comes off!? With you training for a 5k, you can be sure you are getting healthier, (as long as you're eating right) which is most important anyway.
  • braungal
    braungal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been the same...however slow is good. I keep track of my measurements as well because I love to see the inchs (even if slow) come off. I have a dietian for my Kidney disease, both her and my doctor have given me suggestions. Slow is better so your body has a chance to know what is going on, don't make any major changes to calorie intake...slow ones.

In the last week I have finally dropped 4.5 pounds...the most I have at one time and usually yo yo...and this was with no big workouts!!!! I tried their lastest suggestions...don't count back in my excerise points...spread out my meals....stick to my calorie count, if I was low one day the next I was guaranteed to be high and that wasn't good...get a carb with each meal to hold me over to the next...and when I work out I do atleast 20minutes because we dont burn fat until 20 in...stay away from those fruit juices I love, eat it instead of drinking it. My body is still adjusting to this. When my tummy thinks it is hungry and I just ate a hour ago, I give it water which seems to help instead of giving it into it's whining that it is time to eat. Good luck!!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race :)

i agree with u!! that way it stays off too!!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    If you don't weigh until Friday how do you know you haven't lost any this week yet? If you are weighing every day and just logging on Fridays then maybe you should stop that. That is why people say to only weigh once a week. You fluctuate so much during a week's time and some of us just can't handle seeing that scale stay the same, or worse go up, in the middle of the week. Wait til Friday and try again hun. Drink lots of water and get any you are retaining out.

Yeah, i should probably hide my scale during the week...it's the first thing i see in the morning and it's really hard not to get on! But it would probably keep me more on track with my calories and exercise if i knew i was going at it scale blind all week!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    I have been the same...however slow is good. I keep track of my measurements as well because I love to see the inchs (even if slow) come off. I have a dietian for my Kidney disease, both her and my doctor have given me suggestions. Slow is better so your body has a chance to know what is going on, don't make any major changes to calorie intake...slow ones.

In the last week I have finally dropped 4.5 pounds...the most I have at one time and usually yo yo...and this was with no big workouts!!!! I tried their lastest suggestions...don't count back in my excerise points...spread out my meals....stick to my calorie count, if I was low one day the next I was guaranteed to be high and that wasn't good...get a carb with each meal to hold me over to the next...and when I work out I do atleast 20minutes because we dont burn fat until 20 in...stay away from those fruit juices I love, eat it instead of drinking it. My body is still adjusting to this. When my tummy thinks it is hungry and I just ate a hour ago, I give it water which seems to help instead of giving it into it's whining that it is time to eat. Good luck!!

good tips, thanks!