Portable Breakfast ideas

Options
I am looking for good portable breakfast ideas. I need some variety otherwise I fall back into the old habits.

Replies

• lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly qu, but how portable are we talking? xxx
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I toast an english muffin and spread it with peanut butter then stick it in a ziplock baggie. (100 calorie high fiber muffin, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter) Grab a banana or apple on the way out the door and you're pretty much covered!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt single servings
    hard boiled eggs
    turkey bacon (if you make it the night before)
    bananas
    toast w/ peanut butter
    lara bars
    Shakelolgy
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Toasted bagels or muffins...add some turkey bacon and Egg Beaters.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    this is kinda strange but i've been doing this for a while and i love it:

saute zucchini slices in a non-stick frying pan. add salt, pepper and garlic power to taste.
    once zucchini is mostly cooked, add a beaten egg white. cook through. stuff into a half a whole-wheat pita, add about 1/6 cup of grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese and wrap the whole thing in foil. by the time i get around to eating it 20 minutes later, the cheese is mostly melted.

i'm a creature of habit, so i do this about every morning. it might be a good change-up every now and then, though.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    special k bar.... I know that sounds bad, but it works if you are short on time and it keeps me full for a good bit of time

I also cut up fruit and put it is baggies, makes it grab and go :-)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all of the above! There are lots of great ideas floating around the recipes board too.

--Whole grain waffles with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    --egg white, sliced avocado, salsa in a tortilla wrap
    --peanut butter and banana on whole wheat toast (sandwich)
    -- laughing cow cheese on a wasa cracker, piece of fruit
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The zucchini and egg white idea sounds fabulous! Thanks!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    this is kinda strange but i've been doing this for a while and i love it:

saute zucchini slices in a non-stick frying pan. add salt, pepper and garlic power to taste.
    once zucchini is mostly cooked, add a beaten egg white. cook through. stuff into a half a whole-wheat pita, add about 1/6 cup of grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese and wrap the whole thing in foil. by the time i get around to eating it 20 minutes later, the cheese is mostly melted.

i'm a creature of habit, so i do this about every morning. it might be a good change-up every now and then, though.

sounds delicious. I used to do that with jalepenos and mushrooms (my two fav ingredients).
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of all bran in a mug everyday in the car (I’m the passenger), yum especially when it gets mushy ;)

I was enjoying protein shakes daily for a few months but it wasn’t putting off the mid-morning hunger anymore than 150 cals worth of healthy cereal & milk + b/c I like the protein shakes so much I am now using them in the evening after a workout to best utilize the protein. If I don't work out, I cut it out and just have yogurt and fruit to get to 1200 and stick to about 70g of protein rather than 100.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    - Whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter
    - Egg burrito (Whole wheat tortilla, egg beaters, sauteed veggies, black beans, low fat cheese)
    - Oatmeal bowl (quick oats, sliced almonds, cottage cheese or egg whites, fresh fruit, panut butter, honey, jam)
    - Egg sandwich
    - Fruit smoothie with protein powder
    - Homemade egg muffins
    - Homemade trail mix (high fiber cereal, nuts, dried fruit)
    - Yogurt parfait (Greek yogurt or yogurt mixed with protein powder, high fiber cereal, fresh fruit, sliced almonds or nuts)
    - Packet of 100 calorie almonds and an apple
    - Apple and peanut butter
    - Egg beaters mug (Combine 1/2 cup egg beaters or egg product, cook for 1 to 1/2 minutes. Mix in ham, cheese, veggies and enjoy)

I hope I helped!

Let us know what other ideas you find :smile:
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My new things is savory oatmeal. I'm not a fan of sweet breakfast items, so lately, I've been preparing a small container the night before, adding 1/2 cup dry oatmeal with some seasonings like peppers, onion powder, garlic, salt, adding mushrooms and spinach. In the morning, when I'm getting ready, I add 1 cup of water, and pop it into the microwave. I sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top. By the time I get to work its the perfect temp.
  • asheia
    asheia Posts: 7
    Options
    Overnight oats!

They are so yummy and you can make so many varieties you can never get sick of it!

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

Also try a green monster! Can't get more portable than food you can drink. :)

http://greenmonstermovement.com/
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My to-go breakfast is the Special K protein shakes.... but I work out in the morning so I don't like anything that makes me feel too full. The shakes keep me in good shape until after my workout, then I eat a larger breakfast.
  • annabell136
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I hate to eat when I first get up and have been that way since I was a kid. I pack breakfast and lunch to take to work but get bored and then end up grabbing something out which hurts not only my wallet but my waistline.