Scales

Options
Does anyone know which type of scale is the best for accurate weight? Is it the digital, or the other one..

Replies

• jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    Usually digital however it doesn't really matter as long as you use the same scale at the same time of day for every weigh in. Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The most accurate is the type you see in the doctor's office: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&q=doctor's+scale&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15575124143277037498&sa=X&ei=NN6uTZuhIZGctwfzrN3dAw&ved=0CC0Q8gIwAA#

But most of us are not going to invest in that sort of eyesore for our bathrooms!

I currently use a digital scale that seems to be quite accurate.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I prefer the ones that keep going down :0)

when I went looking for a scale, I couldnt find any that werent digital,,,,,just need to make sure its a healthy battery in them
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Good question.. I was weighed at my doctor's appointment a couple days ago, and on there I was less than what it said on my scale at home. Definitely time to get a new one. I've been reading some reviews at Walmart and so far..this one looks decent

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-Lithium-Electronic-Digital-Bath-Scale-Model-73404072/11089590?findingMethod=rr
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Digital seems to be what everyone suggest. I got one on ebay the brand is Camry I had never heard of it before but ordered it because it looked cute and not bulky. I have loved it, no matter where i weigh in my house it usually stays the same or only off by upto .4!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For body weight:
    If you have a choice, use digital. It tells you the number and you write it here.

With analogue scales, you have to guess whether it's near the smaller number or the bigger number. The temptation is always to take the small number and fool yourself.

For the kitchen:
    Get digital scales accurate to the nearest 1g.
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    Honestly, for accuracy I would say just an analog (non-digital - the kind with the dial that spins to your weight) scale is best. The reason is that you can calibrate those scales - that is, you can periodically set something like a 5 pound weight on it and calibrate the scale so that you can be sure it's accurate. Over time, digital and analog scales can start to be "off," but I've yet to see a digital scale that allows you to recalibrate. Additionally, analog scales don't require batteries or anything fancy like that (if you get a digital scale, get one with an LCD battery) and they're usually cheaper.

With all of that said, it's honestly up to you. I currently have a digital scale and it pisses me off all the time because I can get on it, get one weight, then get on it again one minute later and get a slightly different weight. I need to just buy a new scale, but I usually solve the issue by weighing myself a few times until the weight it displays is consistent.

However! Digital scales do tend to look nicer (I like the ones with the glass tops), they are easier to read (especially if you want to see that you've lost, say, .2 pounds), and some of them have fancy functions like memory storage to track your weight loss, sensors that tell you your body fat percentage, etc. Ultimately it's just up to you.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Definitely the type of scale you see in your doctor's office.

For at home, one that is almost spot-on would be an Omron HBF-400. It measures weight, BMI and Body Fat %

I bought one after several fitness buff friends of mine suggested it, and it's been one of my best purchases ever!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Analogue scales with the spinning dial use a spring to measure the weight. The spring needs calibrating.

Modern digital scales use a pressure sensor. As suggested, they don't have a method for recalibration. That may be because they don't need it.

Soft surface (e.g. carpet) can add error. Try to use your scales on a hard surface.
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    Definitely the type of scale you see in your doctor's office.

For at home, one that is almost spot-on would be an Omron HBF-400. It measures weight, BMI and Body Fat %

I bought one after several fitness buff friends of mine suggested it, and it's been one of my best purchases ever!

I've given some thought to buying one of those body fat percentage measuring scales, but I can't decide if it's worth the money. I've heard that the percentage it gives you can be inaccurate depending on how much water you've had, and that if you have any metal in you (I have a surgical implant) it messes up the signal it uses. What do you think?
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I prefer the ones that keep going down :0)

Lol!! Me too!!! Thanks for the laugh!