Breakfast. Do or don't?

Options
So my entire life, I've always been told that you should absolutely eat breakfast in the morning. In fact, it's the most important meal of the day.

However, every time I attempt to eat breakfast, be it a bowl of cereal, or some oatmeal, I am starving the entire day. I can't eat enough. It just makes me 10x more hungry!

I like my water and coffee. Just seems to help suppress my appetite. Anyone else in this same boat?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Hmmm maybe in the beginning but I think over time you'll notice this decrease.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    After 8 hours of sleep your body needs fuel.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I used to never want to eat breakfast. Just couldn't bring myself to do it. B.U.T..... Once I started regularly exercising, my body insisted on it.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I think you need the fuel to start your body's motor running. But, that doesn't mean you have to eat a huge meal. Try eating a protein bar (or even just half). If you can't eat, you could always add a scoop or 2 of protein powder to your coffee in the morning.
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i could be wrong but im thinking that when you eat it gets your metabolism going and that would be why your hunger goes up but if you go without it you metabolism cant really get going until you eat.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Try a breakfast of protein and fat.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I eat it! But I'd probably have the same problem you do on cereal or oatmeal alone. I need to have a little fat and protein with every meal or else I'm ready to gnaw off my own hand in an hour or two. Have you tried adding nuts, nut butter, or maybe doing toast and and eggs?

Some people are just not breakfast people, and if that's working for you, no need to fix it!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is supposed to break the fast -- and get your metabolism going. You are hungry because your body is saying... ok feed me I am ready to work. Not eating breakfast leaves your metabolism at rest and inactive and slows your weight loss. Multiple studies have shown that people who eat breakfast have more success with weight loss and are less likely to be obese.

A bowl of cereal is not enough though -- try some cereal with an egg and some fruit. Make sure to get some protein in there too :)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i find it a struggle to eat before 9am because i just dont feel hungry so ill have some toast with peanut butter (aparantly organic has much less fat) and that fills me up till its time for lunch.

i know what your saying about getting more hungry once you have breakfast but i find that when i dont have breakfast im quite sluggish and tend to binge more later in the day and at dinner.
  • cindycolorado
    Options
    Eating carbs for breakfast made me hungrier, too. Now I eat an eggbeaters, cheese and veggie omelette every morning. Keeps the hunger away and is only 150 calories.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Stick with it and try adding some protein or plan a snack in a couple of hours. For me, I have oatmeal made w/ milk w/ banana, cinnamon and ginger in it. 2 1/2 hours later I usually have plain greek yogurt w/ nuts and a couple hours after that is lunch...you get the picture. I normally eat 5-6 times per day. Breakfast isn't supposed to keep you full all day, just until the meal!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    eating breakfast is very important to get your body's metabolism going in the morning. If you are eating breakfast and finding yourself hungry a few hours later that's a good sign that your metabolism is kicked up and running higher than normal. That's a good thing. Just take a snack with you for a mid morning snack and don't put off lunch too late. :flowerforyou:
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    So my entire life, I've always been told that you should absolutely eat breakfast in the morning. In fact, it's the most important meal of the day.

However, every time I attempt to eat breakfast, be it a bowl of cereal, or some oatmeal, I am starving the entire day. I can't eat enough. It just makes me 10x more hungry!

I like my water and coffee. Just seems to help suppress my appetite. Anyone else in this same boat?

i am exactly like this. i have my coffee and water in the morning about 5am. and i eat around 10am.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Eat something with protein- pb or eggs. Oatmeal or ceral is all carb- which while great for perking you up- won't carry you through the whole day.

Breakfast is really your call, but I know I feel awake and alert much earlier and longer when I have breakfast.
  • bmmiller4
    bmmiller4 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am the same way...can't get myself to eat breakfast in the morning and then when I do I feel like I am eating non-stop the rest of the day.

But I will say that yesterday I started my day with a Special K Protein shake and a hard boiled egg at around 7:30/8:00 and then realized that it was 1:00 and I had yet to eat anything since. I may have to try this "breakfast" a few more times and see if it is a keeper.
  • Leahcutie
    Leahcutie Posts: 24
    Options
    Do! One of my sons just did a research paper in college for his speech class on this very topic. His research convinced me, a former non breakfast eater all my life, to start eating breakfast. It is still tough for me to eat breakfast, but I make sure I have a piece of fruit, an egg, bagel, or SOMETHING. ;)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Try a breakfast of protein and fat.

Agree!! It's your choice of breakfast that is stimulating your appetite, not eating breakfast itself. It's often my biggest meal of the day. Last week I ramped up protein (from about 75 to 100g/day mostly from chicken/fish/yogurt/eggs), ditched starchy carbs and cut back to 2 pieces of fruit per day. HUGE difference in my appetite!!

Ditch the cereal. And ditch the oatmeal too if it is instant: no better than the cereal. But if it is not, add some healthy fats like nuts or nut butter.

I completely agree that you have to figure out what works best for you though. I didn't really eat BF until about 5 or 6 years ago.
  • csm3
    csm3 Posts: 2
    Options
    By the drinking coffee first thing in the morning, your body is not getting nutrients that it needs to kick start your metabolism. Like you already guessed, it suppresses your appetite. Problem is that your body is going to think its starving itself and will slow down your progress of reaching your health goals. I suggest that you try a small light protein shake or breakfast shake first then coffee about 30 min after. I hope this helps. Good luck to you:)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    NO. not hungry. I save my calories for later in the day.
  • murrow1105
    murrow1105 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've learned to eat in the morning since I started eating better....I found that when I decreased my calories, I was hungry when I woke up the next day!

The quality of breakfast matters to my body. I MUST have protein and some fats, otherwise I am really hungry and grouchy later.