My dirty little secret - MFP!

Options
2»

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am now at a healthy and fit weight, but I am trying to become a total fitness machine now, and so I have quit telling people about it unless they ask what I am doing, because I have started getting the "hey you don't need to be working out" or "hey you really shouldn't diet"

they just don't understand! and so be it... I understand, I Am healthy, and its MY life!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I haven't really shared it either. My husband always asks what I'm doing and I just say logging in my food. He knows I'm watching what i eat and exercising just not the details of MFP. This is the first time I've actually done it by myself. I've always had to join a group (weight watchers) and the minute I stop going I put the weight back on. I'm hoping by doing this on my own it will stay off!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Im glad Im not the only one with this secret!!! I have never even TRIED before to do anything like this for fear of failure I think ...
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think that's true and that's probably why I've only recently started telling people - because it clearly is working
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I havent told anyone and i dont want to synch this with facebook. All I will get is people who will say stuff like I dont care or question your workouts and weight loss. All set with that. I love MFP and friends on here. Welcome to the site

I'm the same way, I didn't feel comfortable syncing with Facebook. My husband is also on MFP, but no one else knows what I'm doing. If they did, certain people would make it feel more like a contest or race and I don't want to play that way. This site is so supportive and unlike anything I've ever used!!
    :drinker:
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I havent told anyone and i dont want to synch this with facebook. All I will get is people who will say stuff like I dont care or question your workouts and weight loss. All set with that. I love MFP and friends on here. Welcome to the site

I totally agree, I keep this totally different from the Facebook world. People on there can be very discouraging because they aren't doing the same thing I'm doing.
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    Haha! I call it my dirty little secret too. Although I know it's not a secret. Well, MFP is, sort of. The thing that counts is you've decided to do something about it. Once you figure your way around, and start to see results you'll probably say PROUDLY what you've been doing. I decided this time around I'm doing it mainly on my own with my best friend knowing the full story of the decisions and choices I'm making.

I love my mom to pieces - but sometimes if she knows I'm doing something in particular, all of a sudden I'm getting web link emails, articles cut out of magazines or a random call "you know, on Oprah today she said....". It's over kill, and while I appreciate her trying to help, I then feel like I'm being smothered by too much conflicting information. Sometimes it's just easier to find our own way!

Best of luck and way to go!
  • afcparker
    afcparker Posts: 33
    Options
    Im glad Im not the only one with this secret!!! I have never even TRIED before to do anything like this for fear of failure I think ...

I totally understand. I've told some people to kind of hold me accountable. But, if I dont make it I dont want everyone in my life to know that I tired another diet/exercise routine that didn't take!

I hear ya! And it sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. :happy:
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I keep this pretty private as well. My wife knows I'm on here, that's about it. I prefer to keep this separate from Facebook as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if I had friends on here on Facebook too, I just dont' want to broadcast this to everyone I know. Most wouldn't care, plus if I'm ever caught drinking a beer by someone on there, I'll probably have to answer a million questions about this site and drinking beer and bla bla bla.
  • mamabear0222
    Options
    I keep this pretty private as well. My wife knows I'm on here, that's about it. I prefer to keep this separate from Facebook as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if I had friends on here on Facebook too, I just dont' want to broadcast this to everyone I know. Most wouldn't care, plus if I'm ever caught drinking a beer by someone on there, I'll probably have to answer a million questions about this site and drinking beer and bla bla bla.

This is exactly how I feel!!! I like the support here and it's probably because everyone here has the same goal!
    Even today I said to my husband, I need a tea, my throat is sore, and his response was, can you have a tea with sugar?
    ughhhh I can only imagine if the rest of the world knew! It was a totally innocent question but I dont want to have to justify my every move to everyone all the time (like you with the beer!) ...
  • mamabear0222
    Options
    Haha! I call it my dirty little secret too. Although I know it's not a secret. Well, MFP is, sort of. The thing that counts is you've decided to do something about it. Once you figure your way around, and start to see results you'll probably say PROUDLY what you've been doing.

yes Im sure I will proudly say something once I see results, but Im on day 3 and I dont want to get discouraged by others bringing me down!
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining and I agree keep it to your self if you know you will hear negative stuff about it then don't let those people know. Don't feel bad about the treadmill the first time I ran it was only for 6 minutes and I ran it at a 10mph pace. I thought I was going to die you will get better faster and stronger.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I had kept it a secret. However, if I hadn't told anyone, I'd still be getting crap for not being able to go out to dinner with everyone like I used to. Doing this has kinda cut my social life, but it's worth it.

But sometimes I feel like people are saying they see a difference just to pump me up so I don't quit or something.

I have found that sometimes our "support" system really isn't so supportive all the time. It took my boyfriend a while to realize that I was serious about this (3 months into it lol) and he's FINALLY getting to the point where he's supportive and proud of me.

So I totally respect your decision to not tell people. Somtimes it's for the best :)
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    I have shared the fact that I want to lose weight with a lot of people. I have shared with my parents, my daughters (who are my biggest supporters) friends and co-workers. I have a friend who is trying to lose weight with me but is the nay sayer. Always feels like nothing works and self sabotages her diet. I also have some co-workers who are very into fitness that are very motivating. I think you really have to pick people that are going to encourage you and share with them. The ones that you know will sabotage your weight loss are the ones that you show rather then share!

It was actually my ex-husbands 2nd ex-wife that encouraged me to sign up and run a 10k with her. That has been my biggest motivation. We are close to th same size and I figured if she could do it then I could too!
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    My husband is the only one that knows that I am on this site. I am trying to keep it that way. Even my husband doesn't know about the message boards ans things like that. I don't so much mind if he knows, he's just not interested. He thinks it's great that I found a tool to help me count calories and other nutrients but that is all. I enjoy being able to hold myself accountable without feeling like a complete failure because everyone knows. I also don't live close to my family so I want them to be surprised next time I see them with my weight loss.
  • MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options
    I have told some people in my life what I am doing but I don't give them daily updates like I do on MFP. Seriously, do my co-workers really want to hear it every time I lose a pound? I need the "Woo Hoo" and the "atta girls" so I get them here. I want people to randomly ask me if I have lost weight. That is a big reason for keeping it to myself. If everyone knows what you are doing I think that they would feel obligated to say something nice. I am the kind of person who would reject that kind of compliment (in my head, not to their face). My hubby does not get that at all. I have to fish for a compliment and then when he gives it I don't feel like it counts.

My dad is always bragging how much his girlfriend weighs. I get so sick of hearing about "Buying cloths for her is like dressing a barbie" and other random crap like that. He lives in California and I live in Texas. I so want to be thinner then her the next time I see him...
  • emylourow
    emylourow Posts: 38
    Options
    Well done on 10 minutes, that's great for a first attempt!

My OH half knows I've joined but no one else. I'm thinking that's the way it's going to stay.