Different weights at 6:30am and 9:30am?

Options
I weigh myself once a week in the morning right after I get up. Same scale, same clothing, etc.
But these past 2 weeks, I was surprised by the lack of loss when I weighed myself at 6:30am, so in frustration, at 9:30am, I went back and weighed myself again (same scale, same clothing) and I would much less.
Why would my weight drop over a few hours in the morning?
Obviously, I'll be weighing myself at 9:30am and not 6:30am anymore

Thoughts?
mark

PS I did not go to the bathroom in between which is what a friend suggested. I also didn't exercise in-between.

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Old/bad scale? Maybe it's time to invest in a new one. If it's not calibrated properly it can be all over the place.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Assuming you didn't drink anything it likely was losing further water weight. What did you do during those two hours?
  • littledianelittle
    littledianelittle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention. Your body retains water over night and you walk around and it starts to flow again and maybe you are peeing it out. At least, that is my issue. I can tell it in my fingers.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Your body weight will fluctuate quite substantially throughout the day due to various reasons (water retention, digestion, BM etc.). That is why if you want an accurate idea of your weight loss, you should weigh yourself at the same time every day or every week. Gotta control those variables! :)
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen before too - Get up, use the bathroom, check the scale - one weight. Go make coffee, eat breakfast, strip down before shower, check the scale - another, usually lesser weight. So I've just made the habit of using my pre-shower weigh-in, even though I've had breakfast. Not sure what it is... I do know that I hate scales. :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Scales are unreliable... plain and simple... my advise is to forget the scale all together and opt for a better way to measure your results...

MEASURING TAPE!!!