Playing with calories

36jessica
36jessica Posts: 319 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
So the situation is this: The Easter holidays are a mega event here and, as you can guess, involve A LOT of eating. It all starts on Good Friday (in two days) and ends on Easter Monday. Most of that time will be spent at my mother-in-law's, and for those of you who read my very first post on MFP, saying 'no' is NOT an option unless I want to start something I have no intention of starting.:grumble: The last time I was at their house, I was able to eat half of what was on my plate and switch plates with my husband when nobody was watching. Yes, I'm a coward:blushing: . When I go there, I factor in 3000 calories and try to work them off the three days following. However, I don't know if I'll get much exercise --or at least the amount I would like-- because Easter vacation has just begun and EVERYONE (kids and hubby) are home basically cutting my free time to a minimum. What I want to know is: If I eat under my calorie limit the days before and after I've eaten elsewhere, will I be damaging myself? Will I screw up my metabolism and make no progress? I have no hand in the cooking so I can't control a thing. Any advice?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    You dont have to say no but you definitely control the portions you put on your plate. Its a holiday, enjoy yourself but dont over do it. Going over by a couple thousand calories can sabotage your entire week.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    smaller protions that is what I am planning on for the holiday.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Some would say that eating lower calorie amounts a couple days before and after would actually help your metabolism, not hurt it. There are several postings around that talk about the fluctuation of caloric intake. I'd say exercise all that you can now, and try to save a few hundred calories here and there if you can. Plus make sure that you drink plenty of water throughout the weekend to flush everything out of your body. As for the not being able to say no...I completely understand. My grandmother is British and if you don't completely clear your plate (twice!) it's an insult. If you're the one fixing your plate just try to take smaller servings. If you're not the one in control of that, try to do the best that you can. I feel for you! Good luck.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    I'm not going to tell you how to fix a family relationship - but you might want to think about eating for yourself and not for others. Really, if they brought out clothes for you to wear would you wear them?

You can be utterly gracious and say "no thanks, I've eaten quite enough. It's all delicious."

To distract them from your eating habits, bring up politics and religion. ;)
  • megano_d
    megano_d Posts: 37
    What you are asking about is similar to cycling and folks do it. They eat a larger amount for a day and then a less amount the following day. If I know that I am in a bad situation, then I try to make sure my calories for the week add up to the proper amount. So if I am eating 1200 cals a day, then I have 8400 cals for the week to work with. Spread them out as you wish. I think if you do it that way, you'll run less of a risk of derailing yourself than if you just ate those extra calories. Or add in some serious cardio for the week to get extra calories to eat.

And of course, there is always a choice if you are willing to have a hard conversation with the in-laws. They dont get to decide your health.

Good luck!
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    To distract them from your eating habits, bring up politics and religion. ;)

Love it!

Thank you all for your answers. I guess my best bet is to put a bit of all your suggestions together:
    Exercise as much as possible, save a few calories, eat smaller portions while I talk about the situation in Libya. Sounds like a plan! Thanks again! :happy:
This discussion has been closed.