Is it productive to do siit ups every day?

Options
I had a a finess instructer say yes, that it is a small muscle group. But, what if you are still sore from the last ones? I think it would be a waste of time. Does anyone know?

Replies

• InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Only if you want your stomach to get bugger....doing sit ups makes your ab muscle get bigger but if they are covered by fat then it will make you look bigger....
  • AngieDee12
    AngieDee12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I have trip to hawii coming up in a month, and wanted to concentrate on abs...I will not every day!
  • motherofjade
    Options
    @ AngieDee12 I think if your able to do it everyday then I don't see why you couldn't. I was always under the impression that if your tummy is a little sore, that means your working the right muscle. Alittle pain for a bit of gain right? lol

@ infamousq, wouldn't it be burning your stomach fat though? Which would then make your stomach get smaller? I understand that your abs would get bigger, but wouldn't the muscle be replacing the fat?

I know very little when It come to exercise but that's how I assumed it would work
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Your abs are a muscle group like all the others. And just like the others, they benefit from 48 resting hours.
    It's best to give 'em a day off between workouts. That's what's being taught now -- and they're making a point to ensure trainers are aware of this so they don't perpetuate the outdated "you can work your abs every day" thinking. :drinker:
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Only if you want your stomach to get bugger....doing sit ups makes your ab muscle get bigger but if they are covered by fat then it will make you look bigger....

Amen. Folks never like to hear this, but the only way to "reveal" your abs is to reduce your body fat. There are no spot exercises that'll give you ripped abs if they're covered with fat.
  • AngieDee12
    AngieDee12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice!