Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I have lost my motivation. Help?

Hello weight-lose buddies,

I am in a horrible situation right now. I am depressed upset and feeling mentally and physically weak. My life is horrible, these last few days have seriously felt like HELL! ...unfortunately things are starting to get even worse.

If you have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. In short, I am trying to stay focused, and not to let whats going on burn an even bigger whole in my progress, more than it already has.. I am so depressed.

I am usually extremely motivated, with that ''never give up attitude''. I have never reached this point before, things are so insane...... I have lost all hope... I am starting to give up,I want to bounce back.I really need help. Thanks in Advance.

Replies

• nickeb82
    nickeb82 Posts: 10
    Dont let depression get you down! I know how you feel i was the same way a few months ago! I was down for a few days and it encouraged me more to get back up and motivate. Exercising makes you feel good, seeing the scale go down makes you feel good!! Whatever your depressed about take it out on your weight loss goal! If anything if should make you more ambitious. If your depressed about someone, then show them that there not going to get you down and you are still going to take care of you and look and feel good! Send me a request if you need motivation! You can do it, I know you can! Good luck and start today!! :-)
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Get yourself outside and go for a walk! Exercise! Do anything to get those endorphins moving! I know you probably don't feel like getting a workout or stroll in now, but you'll feel better for it afterwards.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. This too shall pass (hopefully quickly!).
  • lacinad
    lacinad Posts: 6 Member
    Well as I went through my worse depression phase of my life about 3 months ago, and it is still an ongoing struggle. You first need to look and tell yourself everything will get better. Everything in this life that comes up a struggle, will only make people stronger everyday. First off your weight loss and exercising needs to be for you only! Set up a time everyday where you work out and the only thing you are thinking about getting in shape and creating a healthier/happier you. If you catch yourself thinking about the struggles in your life, take the anger, frustration, sadness, hurt, and work out as hard as you possibly can. (I do this and it feels amazing). I think it's a way to take all your negative energy and turn it into something positive for yourself.

I know it may be difficult to even get out of bed, get out of the house, or even look out the window. But you need to tell yourself everything will get better. I have found it to be easiest when I plan things out in a day, the more you keep busy the better. Also, I don't know if you journal but I have found that to be the best way to let out everything. No one else can see it, but it's out of your mind on a piece of paper. I'm sorry this post has turned into a long one, but I could go on forever. Just remember to smile, and know that you are not alone, it is alright to ask for help.

I wish you the best.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    I don't know youor your situation, but I am so sorry you're feeling this way. I have had moments like this myself since my dad lost his fight with cancer last year. Sometimes, it just feels like the world is shrouded in gray. But, I have forced myself to get up, work out, and feel what I need to feel. It helps that I workout at home. Sometimes, I will cry on the elliptical. Truthfully, though, it does help to workout. As someone else wrote, it gets those endorphins flowing, and it also gives you something to feel good about, rather than beating yourself up. Good luck to you. Sending hugs your way.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Sometimes you have to grit your teeth, put your head down and push through it. When you pass through this, you'll be happy you didn't give in to it. Good Luck.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Go put music in ur ears really high so u can hear nothing and get a quite place where u can run and run and scream cry if u have to...

Good luck sweet everybody gets to bad places in life but it does pass just get something that u can do to let it all out...:flowerforyou:
  • lpm3925
    lpm3925 Posts: 39
    First take a breath.............really a slow, deep breath. Concentrate on how good just breathing feels. Now repeat. And repeat......good.

Sounds like you have a lot going on. I'm going to recomend a book, thye have it in audio format too if that's easier for you. It is a very short book, you can read it in about two hours (or listen).

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Agreements-Practical-Personal-Freedom/dp/1878424505/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303313096&sr=8-1

Remember there are three things you must work on: Mind, Body, and Spirit. Losing weight is only one aspect of your well being, the body. The other two take just as much work.

I fight depression too. in the last 6 months I've been able to come off of my medication, and I have actually actively started changing my thinking and behavioral patterns. It takes concious thought and effort.

Hang in there!
  • anniebnannie
    anniebnannie Posts: 85 Member
    When my world around me seems to be crashing and burning I try to remember that THIS TOO WILL PASS. Depression is something that comes and GOES - I know it's hard to see that right now. What helped me recently was seeing Shirley Maclaine on Oprah and she said 3 words that changed my thinking instantly! I'M OVER THAT! It was simple, easy to remember and totally what I needed to do!! That became my "mantra" that I would repeat (and sometimes YELL) WHENEVER the self-beating, judgmental, guilt, self-hate, fearful, angry, sad thoughts arose - sometimes it became I'M SO OVER THAT. What I have come to realize is that the ONLY thing I can have control over is me and my choices. We can't stop or control the world around us... but we CAN control our thoughts... which affects our thinking and our behaviors. Sometimes when it hits I literally have to drag myself to the treadmill to walk even for 5 - 15 minutes - and sometimes I take my dark thoughts there too... Depression is genetic - it's not because you've done ANYTHING wrong.... but it is treatable... for positive treatment - some folks use meds, some meditation and some exercise. Hang in there girl ~ you WILL get through this! Stay connected to others here on MFP or with friends....
  • Hang in there!! First, figure out what things you have control over and what things you don't. Make a plan to attack those that you can control and for those that you can't control...well, let them go. Pray if you pray, or make a list and burn it lol what ever it takes! Keep your focus on those things you can change! You can do it :)
  • moriah87
    moriah87 Posts: 27
    i don't know exactly what you're going through....but i do now the feeling that you explained. I would say, what you should do, is probably the opposite of what you'd want to do. probably laying in bed and not even getting out of it all day, sounds good. . . BUT, if you could work yourself up to getting up, and going for a 20 minute walk....get some juices flowing, some feel good hormones, i think it'd help. also, maybe call somebody who YOU KNOW loves you very much, and just have a good conversation with them for a few moments :) treat yourself to something healthy but delicious. i really hope you feel better soon. I'm proud of you, and the weight loss that you have accomplished :) -moriah