Regular or Diet?

Options
JPayne53
JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
Okay so here is my problem, I've read various articles that say Diet Coke (and other diet soft drinks) are few to no calories but the artificial sweeteners can cause water retention that creates a reverse effect for weight loss... I find when I drink diet soft drinks I tend to drink more of them.. if I have a regular soda I find myself aware of the calories and have maybe one, I also feel more satisfied that my craving is gone vs. the diet.. I don't drink soda that often but when I do these are the outcomes I have discovered... I have tried to eliminate sodas from my diet altogether but am having a tough time kicking the habit... What do you think... stick with the diet and have a few or go with the regular soda and stick to one? :blushing:

Replies

• greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i'd rather eat or drink the real deal but less of it.
  • Christiane81
    Options
    Real/regular ALL THE WAY! Diet is just an excuse to drink more crap and chemicals, if you really have to drink a soda, a small amount of regular once in awhile is better than several diet a day. If you really need the fizz, drink sparkling water instead ;)
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I actually prefer the taste of the diet stuff .... I feel like I've got a sugary coating left on my teeth when I drink the real deal!

I gave up fizzy drinks and cheese for lent - and with Easter Sunday coming this week I'm majorly excited about my cheese-fest I have planned, but I probably wont bother with fizzy drinks - i haven't missed them!
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i'd rather eat or drink the real deal but less of it.

This. I don't drink soda, but if you're going to drink it, drink the real stuff every once in a while, not something made in a lab.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've read more on this subject than anyone should ever have to read. Everyone comes out thinking differently on this issue, but in a nutshell, I do drink decaf diet sodas. I don't drink a lot of them, just because I am a fan of iced tea (decaf also) and because I drink so much water (and some of the zero calorie flavored waters) but I haven't eliminated them from my diet.

:drinker:
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I go for the 100 calorie cans of REAL coca-cola. :) The reason you retain water is they put extra sodium in diet soda to mask the aftertaste of the aspertame.
  • burnguru25
    Options
    Remember, artificial sweetners like to stimulate your pancreas into production of extra insulin thinking "Sugar is on the way:" Unless it is sweetened with Erythritol, I would avoid it and go with the real stuff. Research has shown that erythritol (alcohol based sugar) does not stimulte insulin secretion...
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    in moderation I think either is ok.. just don't drink all your calories. I personally prefer diet.
  • UnoDiamante
    UnoDiamante Posts: 356
    Options
    I prefer the taste of diet soda. I am trying to just drink water, tea and flavored water, but I cant justify drinking a regular soda at 100+ calories when I could EAT those calories..the soda will not fill you up so you are just drinking empty calories. Just my opinion. Neither are good for you, but if you have to drink one, I would drink diet but try to limit yourself to just one.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i dont drink soda at all much but i love that diet Stewart orange cream every now and then ill never understand the need for soda it doesn't quench your thirsty lol plus growing up it was a treat my mom refuse for any of us to have and weirdly neither me nor my sisters care for
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I prefer diet soda myself, but now I only have one every week or two instead of several a day so personally I don't think that diet soda is a problem if you aren't drinking much of it.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    real deal for me.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like real Coke and tend to mix it with Crown Royal.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd kick the habit personally.

I'll have a diet soda every now and then. I can't stand the taste of regular. Too much sugar for me.
  • SwissCakeRoll
    Options
    I prefer the taste of diet...but ive been a diet drinker for years. I am trying to get away from the artificial sweetners though and have switched to buying the mini-cans of the real stuff...they come in 6-pack cans and only have 90-100 cal per can. Perfect amount for my Sunday "cheat" days when Im eating something spicy that needs more than water to compliment the meal.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I've drunk diet soda all my life. Regular soda actually tastes too syrupy to me.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would honestly try to kick the habit. It isn't super hard, it's a pain! But not hard. I did a 7 day no sweets or soda challenge, and on the 7th day we ordered Dominos with a 2 liter of cherry coke. I took one sip and gave it back to my husband. I can't drink it now, it's just not my thing anymore. The bubbles bug me haha. It's just like any other addiction, you gotta get over that hump!! You can do it!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks All! My conclusion... GONNA KICK THE HABIT!!! Ha! Wish me luck! :tongue:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet.. but because I prefer the flavor. Regular is just TOO sweet. That said, soda is just plain expensive. I limit myself to one (or less) per day just by thinking about the monetary price tag.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of regular coke.

I'm a major diet coke addict. At my worst (as a uni student) I was drinking 20 cans a day and eating nothing.

In the past 2 years I've managed to give it up in favour of fizzy water twice for 10 months and 2 months respectively. But generally I'm a 3 - 5 cans a day girl now. I WISH I could kick it.