have you ever seen somebody you know on here?

Options
I know the chances are pretty slim, but have you ever stumbled upon the profile of someone you know in real life? That would be weird (and by 'weird' I mean slightly embarrassing). This is pretty much what's keeping me from putting my face in my profile picture, and I was just curious as to whether this has ever happened to anyone.

Replies

• ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No, but most of my friends on my list are people I know in real life :)
  • MissJanay
    MissJanay Posts: 17
    Options
    I have seen tons of people from my town but not that I know. I hope I dont find anyone I know :o)
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I actually joined this site after a friend told me about it, and I have about 8 other people on here that I really do know. It really encourages me actually to see them on here too.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yes,I have. I think it's great!!!! What's wrong with being proud of your accomplishments? And keep in mind, if someone you know is here, they have the same goals you do... losing weight and being healthy. What's wrong with sharing that?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I have friends I have convinced to join, but other than that no. I don't see why you would be embarrased (other than your showing you entire bodY) but other than that your taking the necessary cautions to improve your body, your life, your health - that's something to be proud of.
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    my mom and i are both on here. kind of nice to actually know someone that you can work with and talk to about getting healthy outside of the mfp community
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    a reall good male friend of mine told me about the site and i joined so i dont mind him seeing me on here - in fact, i think he rung for a quick natter yesterday and we ended up talking about food for like half an hour :o)
  • macjenkins
    macjenkins Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A real life friend referred me and I have done the same with other friends. I kinda like having people I know to both support me on here and in person. I've also added friends who live near me. You never know when you'll need the extra support.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Yep, it has a few times for me, and I have lot's of family and friends I have had join me on the site and it's not embarassing at all! What is there to be embarassed about wanting to be in shape and healthy? The more support you have in your everyday life, the more likely you are to reach your goals! In fact, I encourage sharing that your on this site with your family and friends, then, your held accountable. What good is hiding going to do? I started on heere a year ago this month with my best friend and we've had a blast doing it together!
    Good luck!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Any one I know on here I have invited. My sisters and my mom. :) We all talk about what we like about it and how to find things, save things, and input exercises.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yep ~ a very cool lady here in town, so it doesn't bother me!:smile: We are giving each other support, and I seriously doubt she cares what I look like in a bikini lol (BTW you look pretty good so don't sweat it:wink: ).

If you're feeling funky about it, you can search under "find members", put ages, sexes and area codes and distances in the perimeters to see who shows up ~ should give you an idea if you know anyone near (unless they aren't posting a photo).
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I find the more people I know on here, the better! People on this site in particular are very supportive, and those people tend to carry that forward into day to day life. I would never be embarrassed about my losses - in fact, I share them with mostly everyone! :)
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ya, i know lots of my "friends" in real life! It makes us more accountable!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    haha, nope. I don't use my real name for a reason! I also don't share on Facebook for a reason.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have met in real life some folks from here but never accidentally seen one from real life.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I haven't stumbled across anyone I know, but I have told some people about this site and had them join and I am friends with them on here. I like having some people I know on my friends list too! I am proud of the fact I am trying to be healthier.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    No but i have people i know in real life on my friends list makes the bond stronger they know who i am day to day. It's not embarrassing that i'm trying to get healthy. what would be sucky is walking around thinking i'm hot **** with my friends and them trying to find the words: you need to work out.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine joined after seeing my progress updates on facebook (got to love social media.) I love having someone who knows me for real here. I see it as a positive and nothing to be embarrassed about. But if you like the anonymity, that is fine too. You need to do what works for you!
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    Yup, My BFF is on here and my favorite co-worker is on here.
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Be proud of taking charge of your life and being healthy. I look for people I know!!!!