P90X? Weights? What is best for me. :)

Options
I am getting smaller (ya!!) and now I am starting to focus more on muscle definition and such. I want to try P90x, but not sure what all it entails. Jumping around is 100% out of the question because of my bum left leg and my bum right ankle. I can barely do squats and lunges without my ankle whining like a little B*. For weights I usually just look up in magazine different things that I can do, but it feels so disorganized. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    don't do Plyometrics X then :-) It's jumping and bounding all over the place...
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You can modify P90x to meet your needs, I haven't done it often but the times that I did it they had people showing you how to do different versions of the same move.

For regular weights, do you go to a gym or do it at home? Do you have resistance bands available, or cable machines? I love the cable machines because they are like a built-in circuit as they usually have 4-8 different components to them. Resistance bands are also great if you are at home because you can do a million different things with them.

If you are an at-home exerciser, google weight circuits for at home. Circuit training is the most effective, at least in my opinion, because it keeps you moving and challenges different muscles at once.

With the knee/leg issues, can you ride a bike? That will give your lower body a nice workout without having to endure squats or lunges. So would an elliptical if you have one available since it's nice to your joints. HTH! Good luck.
  • veggeslady
    Options
    I do P90x The key is to modify everything so that you can do it. On Plyo which is jumping do stepping. I love it and so do my muscles!!

This link is a story of a lady with ms in a wheel chair that did p90x
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VkFvFuph9E
    Kayla
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd start with bands.. there are examples within each video someone is doing for modifications.. bands, dumbbells, and body weight only.. it's totally what you feel is comfortable at this point, but believe me you will get stronger and want to do more as you get further into it!! FYI.. there is a guy who does all the routines with one artificial leg.. if he can do it.. YOU GOT THIS!!
  • cjsimon
    cjsimon Posts: 2
    Options
    You could for sure do arms & shoulders, ab ripper x, probably kenpo and yoga. Possibly core synergistic too. I wouldn't do plyo, cardio, and maybe no legs and back. Of course you could just modify a lot of things if you feel you are straining you knees and ankles.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    There is an amputee with a prosthetic that does Plyo X routine with Tony. :wink:

There is some high impact work in Plyo X, Core Synergistics, Legs & Back, and Cardio X (the alternate workout for those that can't do Plyo X). Otherwise, it should be doable for you.

There are low impact versions for mostly all of the exercises. When in doubt, modify.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lots good info guys, thanks! :)

I am able to do bike, elliptical, run (only on treadmill). I worry about jumping because I have sprained my ankle 8 times and now that I am on blood thinners it increase my risk of arthritis in that ankle. Shoulda said that earlier, btw. :)
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ohhh that another thing. I know they have a set diet that goes a long with it...I already pay for a low fat diet plan for dinner. Would I still be able to do that?
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I would start with the elastic bands, and very low weights. If your leg and ankle hurt, be careful not putting too much extra weight. You can try to do the exercises without any extra weight. If you do them in perfect form, or only with wrist-weights you are also getting a good workout.
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much do entire P90X with resistance bands. Like others said, you can modify. If it's still too difficult, give Power 90 a look, as it might get you ready for P90X (even though many people can do X with modification).

As for the diet, it's not preset, but rather "guided". If you follow some kind of a dietary program already, you might need to see how well it will fuel your body, as P90X workouts are intense and take a lot out of you.

Good luck to you and I hope you join the ranks of X-ers! :)