Replies

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Nicely done and informative!!!!:smile:
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I read that new research says that people who lose weight faster keep it off longer than those who lose it slowly. Getting results fast motivates people to continue eating healthy.

I'm new at this, but I know for me personally if it took me months to lose 10 lbs I would be discouraged and quit. I'm doing a "diet" now, but I see it more as a lifestyle change. I'm losing weight quickly and it's motivating me to keep going and to continue eating healthy. I've been introduced to new foods that I never thought would be so good.

So I don't know, am I doing the wrong thing? I showed my doctor my diet plan and he said it was ok because it wasn't starving me just promoting healthy eating and drasticallyl cutting calories. He did say not to work out too much, since I wasn't getting enough calories to sustain my energy for workouts. So I walk briskly for 30 minutes a day.

Like I said, I'm new to this and have a lot of weight to lose. I'm glad I'm here and hopefully will find a gentle balance between losing fast and losing slow.

Thanks for your post.
  • crystaldegreef
    Options
    hahahaha... I clicked because I was about to get all pissy...
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    i'm all about slow and steady...i lost 32 lbs in 365 days lol
    Likewise. I lost 20 lbs this past year. I really wanna reach my goal by August, or MAX the end of the year. Still a safe number, but I'm gonna have to push it...
  • missfitp
    missfitp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone thank you for your research. I recently hit a PLATEAU and I think it is due to the fact that I was eating less and exercising more thinking that was going to be better for me. I have upped my calories this week to see how it goes. Hopefully I can start progressing again.
  • Brroookkkkeeeee
    Options
    awesome post!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Thrilled that so many people are thinking about health and long term success, rather than just losing weight! :bigsmile:

It takes time to learn (or relearn) good eating habits, so for every day you don't see a change on the scale -- remember that you are making progress EVERY day by learning. You learn through success AND failure. Every bad day teaches you more about your needs and why you make the decisions you make and what the consequences are.

Kudos to everyone making changes to live healthier! :drinker:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Be the tortoise, not the hare. :flowerforyou:
    Love it!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump :tongue:
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • Ty_1227
    Ty_1227 Posts: 40
    Options
    PREACH IT! Very well written and very important to consider. Being successful in your fitness and health is actually VERY simple (exercise and portion control) but we all know that simple doesn't = easy.

Age is also a big factor in diminishing BMR (Baso Metabolic Rate) so we all need to set reasonable goals. With time and discipline our bodies will do the calorie burning for us.

Not to be a downer but this is a current cautionary story about the dangers of rapid weight loss... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/recruiter-pressure-young-boy-seeking-army-entry-dies-after-extreme-dieting/
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    PREACH IT! Very well written and very important to consider. Being successful in your fitness and health is actually VERY simple (exercise and portion control) but we all know that simple doesn't = easy.

Age is also a big factor in diminishing BMR (Baso Metabolic Rate) so we all need to set reasonable goals. With time and discipline our bodies will do the calorie burning for us.

Not to be a downer but this is a current cautionary story about the dangers of rapid weight loss... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/recruiter-pressure-young-boy-seeking-army-entry-dies-after-extreme-dieting/

Age is a bummer. :laugh: But, makes it even more important to keep up with a healthy lifestyle and retain as much muscle mass as possible, the older we get.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • ngwehner
    ngwehner Posts: 19
    Options
    LadyHawk's post is right on the money and I have the background to comment on it - PhD Immunology/Toxicology, minor in Biochemistry. Losing more the about 2.5 lbs a week is generally not a good idea without a lot of extra diligence about what you eat and how you excercise.

The MFP is set up to give you the calories to lose your goal per week without doing exercise. Add in exercise and you can still lose at that same rate by eating calories in the amount you burned in exercise. However, I would suggest eating back those calories in a relatively high protein/low fat form, otherwise exercise can eat away at your muscle tissue more than your fat stores. Eating moe protein allows the body to break that protein down to it pieces (amino acids) and then use them directly to build and repair the muscles damaged by exercise - easier on the body than having to start from sugar or fat make amino acids and then make proteins. Personally, I don't eat back 100% of my exercise calories as I like a little faster weight loss (2.5 lb/week), but what I do eat back is high protein.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    LadyHawk's post is right on the money and I have the background to comment on it - PhD Immunology/Toxicology, minor in Biochemistry. Losing more the about 2.5 lbs a week is generally not a good idea without a lot of extra diligence about what you eat and how you excercise.

The MFP is set up to give you the calories to lose your goal per week without doing exercise. Add in exercise and you can still lose at that same rate by eating calories in the amount you burned in exercise. However, I would suggest eating back those calories in a relatively high protein/low fat form, otherwise exercise can eat away at your muscle tissue more than your fat stores. Eating moe protein allows the body to break that protein down to it pieces (amino acids) and then use them directly to build and repair the muscles damaged by exercise - easier on the body than having to start from sugar or fat make amino acids and then make proteins. Personally, I don't eat back 100% of my exercise calories as I like a little faster weight loss (2.5 lb/week), but what I do eat back is high protein.

Thanks... Great point. :wink:
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Bump:)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    It's been a day - bump!!!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    It's been a day - bump!!!

Gonna be another one today :laugh:
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    hahaha! I clicked on it thinking "What he HECK?"

I could only imagine what my body would look like if I lost 60 pounds in 2 months! I'd be all loose flabby skin! ICKY!

Slow and steady! It's about a life-long change of habits. It's out habits that put us all here, and habits don't get fixed over night!