your favorite exercise?

Options
I'm pretty new on here. I've been dieting on and off for a few years. This time I need to get serious about it. Last year I broke my leg, which equaled zero exercise for over 6 months. Now I'm slowly getting back into walking everyday. My favorite exercise used to be the elliptical. I think I liked it because it was easy. I could crank up my Ipod and do a quick 20 minutes to work up a sweat. Now I moved farther away from the gym and I don't really want to pay $800 for my own elliptical. My 2nd choice is my bike. I used to pull my kids around in the little cart behind it and it really made me tired! I like exercising and actually feeling like i accomplished something.

So what are your favorite forms of exercise and the best ones that worked for you?

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Walking outside.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love to go to Zumba class at the gym.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    DANCING!!! I started with Zumba over a year ago and I now consistently go twice a week to a Zumba-on-steroids class called Fuzion. I have never ever stuck with something as long as I have with dancing aerobics and I don't see any end in sight! I also dance with my two young daughters whenever music comes on ;)

I love pulling my girls in their bike cart when the weather is good and will do that this summer as well (Sat morning Garage sale run wOO hOO!). I also have a pool, so i do a LOT of swimming in the summer :)
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical, and the treadmill. On the treadmill I do a 14 or 15 incline at 3.6 mph. You work up a massive sweat and burn a ton of calories, not to mention what it does for the Glutes! Good pain! I usually switch it up between those 2 at the gym or do a combo of both to equal 45 of cardio a day (give or take a few minutes)
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    normally it's walking outside, but the weather urned back to winter about two weeks ago. ZUMBA, though...wow! I love it sooo much!
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can get an elliptical at walmart for like 300 bucks. Nothing fancy but Im starting to love mine. lol. I also love yoga.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Fitness Kickboxing -- we punch and kick bags plus a lot of "Insanity" kind of stuff. Busts stress and blasts about 600/hour if you work hard. Look for a martial arts school in your area and I'll bet you can find a class. Zumba is fun, too.
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love ZUMBA and the elliptical. I bought an elliptical on Walmart.com for like $150, so you don't have to break the bank for one.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    while not my 'favorite', my most effective (and very low cost) at-home exercise for cardio is aerobic stepping - I use the bottom step in the basement, strap on my HRM, put my headphones on and step up (and down) the bottom step for anywhere from 30 -90 minutes depending on the rhythm I get into.

Done at a decent pace, and alternating between regular size steps to longer, lunge-like steps (stepping further back from the bottom step), I can get the same caloric burn as when I am using the elliptical or AMT (all motion trainer) at the gym.

To get a broader workout in at the same time, I also like to use a 5lbs weight in each hand, and can sneak in a few reps of lifts to the side, to the front, etc, and I alternate that with a 2kg medicine ball that I throw from hand to hand - both close to the body and with arms outstretched - this works your arm muscles amazingly, helps with agility and gets the heart rate pumping a good extra 10-15bpm extra.

Hope that helps. Good luck with all your health endeavors!
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    Costco and sams club also have good prices on ellipticals. Walking for me does good, treadmill, gardening, grooming my horses, these all have a calorie burn to them according to MFP data base.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I love to go to Zumba class at the gym.

Is that easy to pick up?
  • BonitaAppleBomb87
    Options
    Boxing, kickboxing, & the elliptical you burns tons of cals and its good for stress
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the cool down, because that means I'm finished...hehe. I actually like the 30 day shred level 2 and the treadmill.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I love the lower body arc trainer at the gym. It burns off more calories in a shorter amount of time
    than other cardio machines but is definitely a workout!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/baisleac/view/hiit-mrt-circuit-training-whatever-you-want-to-call-it-92808

Each time I can go a little farther, I feel like a god... and a little like throwing up. :laugh:
  • dinas3boys
    Options
    I have not been working so a gym membership nd an elliptical are out for me at this time. So I've been working out at home with DVD's. Jillian Michaels has a good 30 day shred workout that is pretty intense as well as a 6 week 6 pack workout. I've been kept interested by alternating all the DVD's I have like Taebo and Dancing videos. Next will be going to Zumba classes at the local park district near my home.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I like being outside so I do a lot of jogging and biking. At home, I play on the Xbox kinects with YouShape. It is fun and it really does make me sweat.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels is my favorite.... she gets on my nerves but her workouts sure work me and it's done before I know it!!!! :smile:
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    love the elliptical. i actually download tv shows or movies to my ipod, get going my concentrant on the program or movie and before long i am drenched and at 30 minutes.

i also love strenght training on the machines at the gym.. love the gym , just love being there LOL.

keep wanting to take some zumba classes there but have not been able to get the timing right

but my over all favorite exercise is my absolute favorite activity BELLYDANCING !!! love love love it.

got class tonight, wish i could find a place with more than one night a week, (not that i could find the time, with my kids activitities which is dance also btw, and he comes first)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels is my favorite.... she gets on my nerves but her workouts sure work me and it's done before I know it!!!! :smile:

how long are here averge work outs , are they all standing stuff or anythign on the ground, i asked because i am wondering if this is something i can take to work with my lap top and do at lunch.
    i currently ...well was , got to get back to. doing rachel brice's serpentine at work