How many calories should I be aiming to burn in a gym sessio

Options
Hi,

I am currently going to the gym 4-5 times a week with an aim of losing around 3.5lbs per week. I am currently burning between 4-500 cals a session and eating around 1500 cals per day. I have lost 11lbs in 2 weeks so obviously I am doing something right but should I be aiming to burn more per session?

I am also thinking of doing weights (Chest Press etc) in order to tone up and prevent loose skin.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Are you logging the exercise? If you are logging exercise and keeping a food diary, you can let MFP's numbers be your guide. That will tell you if you are exercising enough to offset your eating, and vice versa.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Are you logging the exercise? If you are logging exercise and keeping a food diary, you can let MFP's numbers be your guide. That will tell you if you are exercising enough to offset your eating, and vice versa.

Yes I am logging every trip to the gym, I must admit though it's adding my burned calories to my daily allowance and most days I am full enough so am not eating my full allowance, I am making sure I am eating enough though to prevent starvation mode.

Thanks
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Bump
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    I still never got an answer lol
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to eat. For example--

to maintain my weight, I need to eat 1400 calories a day, not inculding exercise calories. Now, I know from experience that I can survive on 1400 calories a day, but I have to be very careful, and I probably will be hungry at the end of the day. So, I need to exercise to earn some more calories. Again, from experience, I know that if I eat 1600 calories a day, I feel pretty satisfied and even get a small treat some days. So my goal each day is to burn at least 200 calories per day. (and more is better) If I know that it is a special occaision and I will be eating more food (holiday, going out, going to a party, etc) then I aim to burn more.

Does that help? Your number will be individual to your weight, calorie needs, and appetite.