What is a realistic goal???

Options
Hey everyone!! :)

I started dieting and exercising on March 1st. 5 weeks later, I was down 10 pounds. I haven't weighed myself
in 2 weeks, I'm waiting till I go back to the dr. Anyhow, is 10 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks good? What's a realistic
goal to set??? I really, really need to lose about 50 more pounds, and summer is fast approaching. I have
a hard time eating the amount of recommended calories per day, and I exercise almost every day too. Am
I on the right track??? I don't want to mess this up!!!
Thanks so much!!
Shell :)

Replies

• Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you weigh, I would say that 10 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks is extraordinary! Be happy, be proud of that accomplishment.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a great job, just dont ever let yourself be below 1200 calories for the day, that will mess you up.
  • lindsaydunton
    lindsaydunton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Don't worry about the summer goal, it will happen and long term and losing the right way is definitely more important. You'll get there, just stay on track. 10 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks sounds great! Keep up the good work!
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think that's great progress. I would love to get mine off as fast as possible too, but it took me years to get it on, and I know it won't come off as fast as I would like. I think you're doing fantastic:happy:
  • bluesnowkat
    Options
    10 pds in 5.5 weeks is great! That's about 2 pds per week, which is where you want to be. Sounds like you're moving in the right direction.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds per week for a woman is generally considered reasonable and healthy. For someone with an extreme amount of weight to lose, more than that may be reasonable at first, particularly if they are under a doctor's care. But it sounds like you would be in the former category. Congrats on the first 10 pounds - you're well on your way!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    There is a BMI calculator on this site. That might be a good starting point for a goal. It will need some fine tuning, of course, as every body is built differently, but maybe that will help.

It sounds like you're doing great!! Keep up the good work.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    10lbs in 5.5 weeks is good. But, don't get your hopes up that it'll continue. A lot of people see a drop off in their weight loss after the initial few weeks. When you make a huge change you usually lose weight as your body adjusts to it. Once your body settles into the routine, the weight loss will drop off some. Don't be discouraged. It is normal. And everyone IS different. I'm not the kind of person who loses a couple pounds a week. My body will stay at a certain weight for WEEKS (literally) and then overnight I will drop 7 or more pounds. I have a very odd way of dropping weight. LOL.
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think 10lbs in 5.5 weeks is a healthy realistic weight loss. I know its isn't recommended to lose more than 2lbs a week if that helps at all. My first goal is to be down 10lbs by Memorial Day. I have about 80lbs to lose, but I have only made the one short term goal so far. Wish I could be of more help! Keep up the great work!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Realistic weight loss is anywhere between 0.1 and 2 pounds. That's also healthy weight loss. Just remember to never eat less than 1200 calories per day, to always drink a minimum of 8 cups of water every day and watch what you eat! Don't forget that sugars and fats aren't the only things that cause weight gain. It takes the human body 3-7 days to get rid of beef and other red meats, for example and if you're not exercising during this time, more of it than you thought, could turn to fat.
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks!!! My problem is, I normally "would" eat enough calories each day, but I'm so active, it burns them
    all off!! So, I'm on target with calories on my chart, until I log in exercise, cleaning house, shopping, etc.
    It all adds up fast!!! So, do I either eat more or exercise less??? I'm so confused!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! My problem is, I normally "would" eat enough calories each day, but I'm so active, it burns them
    all off!! So, I'm on target with calories on my chart, until I log in exercise, cleaning house, shopping, etc.
    It all adds up fast!!! So, do I either eat more or exercise less??? I'm so confused!!!

What do you have your activity level set at? If you're really active, set it at active or highly active. That way it's already accounting for a lot of your daily activities. For example, mine is set at very active because I work on my feet and feel like I am constantly on the move. I only log true exercise (when I go to the gym) and let it count the rest of what I do in my "activity" level.
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    Ohh, ok. I didn't see that! I'll give it a try!! Thank you!