Passed the Donut Test!

Options
A little NSV for me this morning and thought I would share!

I work in an office, so I'm sure others can relate to this story.

Every week (seriously) one of two things happen: (1) someone brings in a box of donuts in the morning or (2) mysterious baskets or trays full of sugary treats like cookies and chocolate delicacies are delivered and placed conveniently where you cannot not see them staring you in the face!

So this morning I go to do my usual morning routine at work -- grab some coffee w/ my fat free creamer and fix my oatmeal -- and BAM, in the kitchen in FRONT of the coffee machine are two large boxes. One filled with donuts (the sugary sprinkly chocolatey ones!) and the second box is filled with sausage and cheese kolaches. Impulses start kicking in, mouth begins to water and for a split second I think mmm, just do it, take a donut, screw the oatmeal!! But I stayed strong and said NO! ... made my oatmeal and went back to my desk totally defeating the tempting box of donuts!

So yeah, I passed the donut test! Yes, a small victory BUT I know the old me would not have thought twice about grabbing one (if not two) donuts.

Katie = 1, Donuts = 0

Replies

• elephantmeg
    elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    great job! I would have caved for sure for the kolaches! I haven't had one in sooooooooooooooo long and that just sounds SO good. :) Congrats on your NSV though!! :flowerforyou:
  • anihop
    anihop Posts: 18
    Options
    Good for you!! I know how hard it is to pass them up....
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Good for you! On Monday, the first day I started my diet, there was a huge box of cookies and muffins in the office kitchen. I ran it, got my coffee and ran out. Lol.
  • LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    Good for you! I never pass the donut test :(
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great job!

In the past, if it were me, I would have taken the donut AND ate what I brought.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yay Katie!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Good job! That is will power... I don't think I would have passed the test!
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I hope you really enjoyed your oatmeal. :)
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Not sure what NSV means (new here), but congrats on the discipline. I find if I am within my calorie count for the day, especially adding exercise calories I may treat myself to something like a donut. I have found avoiding all sweets for a long period of time finds me going on a sweet junk food binge. By adding something sweet on occasion and staying within my calorie range I feel no guilt. But more and more I am reaching for something healthier to feel the calorie void. The idea of recording what you eat has had an impact on my eating habits. I mostly think now before I eat something with empty calories which is a good thing. Glad to hear you are developing some discipline. Kudos.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i sympathize, I LOVE donuts and think they are wonderful and horrible all at the same time. I pass by them everytime i am at the store and the smell just about kills me. IT has been two months now since I have had one and I feel better not having had any. I am proud of you for such an accomplishment. IT is hard and you got it.
  • ckormos
    ckormos Posts: 7
    Options
    That is impressive! Not buying bad food is easy, saying no to free delicious doughnuts, is almost impossible!
  • shellgoff
    shellgoff Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great job! Those type of temptations are SO hard!!!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    GREAT JOB!! I got hooked on one of those stupid marathons about people making cupcakes and ended up eating my weight watchers dessert early.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I did the same thing last week. Someone brought in a box of doughnuts on Thursday and I was weighing in on Friday. There were doughnuts sitting within view of my desk ALL DAY LONG! And I kept fighting the urge to get one. I had a great weigh in on Friday... Came back to work and there were doughnuts again. I actually allowed myself to eat one, counted it and still stayed under my calories for the day. I was very proud of myself. :)
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good for you! On Monday, the first day I started my diet, there was a huge box of cookies and muffins in the office kitchen. I ran it, got my coffee and ran out. Lol.

I was an idiot and started my diet the day before Valentines Day. Yeah, that didn't go well...
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

This is a challenge I face often as well. Furthermore, there are occasional department birthday parties that I get pulled into and of course there is cake. I work at a school and get free soup and salad lunch every day, but there are often times a table full of leftovers from some after-school even the night before--cookies, pies, pastas, pizza, chips. If it is bad for my diet, its been on that table at some point. So far, I am the undefeated champion!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Not sure what NSV means (new here), but congrats on the discipline. I find if I am within my calorie count for the day, especially adding exercise calories I may treat myself to something like a donut. I have found avoiding all sweets for a long period of time finds me going on a sweet junk food binge. By adding something sweet on occasion and staying within my calorie range I feel no guilt. But more and more I am reaching for something healthier to feel the calorie void. The idea of recording what you eat has had an impact on my eating habits. I mostly think now before I eat something with empty calories which is a good thing. Glad to hear you are developing some discipline. Kudos.

NSV mean non scale victory. Something like passing up doughnuts that would have previously not been questioned. Dropping a pant size. Getting to move to a new belt notch. Running a mile when you used to only be able to run a half mile. Etc...
  • gtm124
    Options
    Congrats!

This is a challenge I face often as well. Furthermore, there are occasional department birthday parties that I get pulled into and of course there is cake. I work at a school and get free soup and salad lunch every day, but there are often times a table full of leftovers from some after-school even the night before--cookies, pies, pastas, pizza, chips. If it is bad for my diet, its been on that table at some point. So far, I am the undefeated champion!

Moosewizard,
    I looked at your ticker and am impressed with your progress since November. Keep up the good work.
  • gtm124
    Options

NSV mean non scale victory. Something like passing up doughnuts that would have previously not been questioned. Dropping a pant size. Getting to move to a new belt notch. Running a mile when you used to only be able to run a half mile. Etc...

Thanks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!